remember Tag and his Dumble

tetaJ

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
This.

A lot of people throw that around. At one time, I did too. Then one night a few weeks ago, I was going over some of my notes on a battery-powered mini-amp circuit that I like to build differently each time. I also have built it a number of times as an overdrive unit. About 15 years ago, a friend in Europe sent a bunch of old parts to me. Included in that box were some very old parts. I also have "rescued" a number of old parts by scavenging parts from old electronics. Why am I mentioning all this? See, that Dumble guy may be a bit.. eccentric, but the man knows his {censored}.

It took me a long time, but I had an epiphany and I actually understand what he's talking about with this crystal lattice thing. At least I'm pretty sure. It has to do with the actual molecular structure of the interior components of the parts he uses in building his amps. You wanna know why his amps cost so {censored}ing much? In addition to being hand built, hand wired, one component at a time, each component is hand selected. He doesn't use {censored} from off the wall at Radio Shack. He doesn't use parts ordered from surplus places. He
sources
parts. Parts that meet and exceed military specifications. Parts that were made years ago and
still
fit those requirements.

Guys talk about using oil in paper, orange drop, or bumblebee tone caps in guitars. That's total amateur hour {censored} compared to what I'm talking about. Dumble refers to tone being affected by differences in parts that go down to {censored}ing
molecular structure

Trippy {censored}, but there is science to it. You know those people who sit around tasting wine for magazines? There are people who do the same with beer and coffee. The
real
cork sniffers, not the poseurs we call cork sniffers. That's Howard Dumble.

You managed to spell schematics properly but misspelled "infinite." {censored}ing spellcheck. How does it work?

If I wasn't already married, I would ask for your hand in marriage :)

• Members

This.

A lot of people throw that around. At one time, I did too. Then one night a few weeks ago, I was going over some of my notes on a battery-powered mini-amp circuit that I like to build differently each time. I also have built it a number of times as an overdrive unit. About 15 years ago, a friend in Europe sent a bunch of old parts to me. Included in that box were some very old parts. I also have "rescued" a number of old parts by scavenging parts from old electronics. Why am I mentioning all this? See, that Dumble guy may be a bit.. eccentric, but the man knows his {censored}.

It took me a long time, but I had an epiphany and I actually understand what he's talking about with this crystal lattice thing. At least I'm pretty sure. It has to do with the actual molecular structure of the interior components of the parts he uses in building his amps. You wanna know why his amps cost so {censored}ing much? In addition to being hand built, hand wired, one component at a time, each component is hand selected. He doesn't use {censored} from off the wall at Radio Shack. He doesn't use parts ordered from surplus places. He
sources
parts. Parts that meet and exceed military specifications. Parts that were made years ago and
still
fit those requirements.

Guys talk about using oil in paper, orange drop, or bumblebee tone caps in guitars. That's total amateur hour {censored} compared to what I'm talking about. Dumble refers to tone being affected by differences in parts that go down to {censored}ing
molecular structure

Trippy {censored}, but there is science to it. You know those people who sit around tasting wine for magazines? There are people who do the same with beer and coffee. The
real

You managed to spell schematics properly but misspelled "infinite." {censored}ing spellcheck. How does it work?

Wait! You mean different components have different transfer characteristics??? STOP THE {censored}ING PRESSES!!! Seriously, Dumble's explaination was {censored} and that's why people make fun of crystal lettuces.

• Members

sources
still
fit those requirements.

molecular structure

real

Curious ... what flavor was the Kool Aid? :idk:

• Members

I don't think your very familiar with the troll physics meme are you?
internet cool guy how does that {censored} work?
Here have another
Insert-fragile-harmonics-in-a-crystal-la

• Members

It took me a long time, but I had an epiphany and I actually understand what he's talking about with this crystal lattice thing. At least I'm pretty sure. It has to do with the actual molecular structure of the interior components of the parts he uses in building his amps.

No.

It amazes me how many people here did not understand WTF Dumble was saying with respect to crystal lattices. After all the belly aching about tube versus SS that goes on here you'd think more people would get it: He was talking about solid state versus tube.

All solid state devices work by doping crystals (ie the crystal lattice) of some type (usually silicon) with impurities that affect charge carrier density in various regions of the lattice/substrate, the Silicon itself does not conduct without the impurities (hence the term "semiconductor") and the addition of metal on top of this doped substrate along with the different change carrying regions creates transistors and other devices.

He was just saying that the charge carriers of the current (electrons) behave differently in a crystal lattice (solid state) signal amplification system than in a vacuum tube based one and that those SS amplification devices will always be inferior.

I.e Tube amps rule, SS Sucks.

Archived