Best Solid State Power Amp

boatshoes

• Members

Um. I have a QSC RM850 that dose the trick pretty well.

No joke. My guitar mini-rack has a Rocktron Velocity, and it's great for club gig duty at typical volumes. But for a month before I found the Velocity I used one of my Crown monitor amps - big transformers, heavy, 200 w/channel.

That f***er sounded fantastic. No dirt at all, but the thump from palm-muted riffs was great. You need the big transformers to get that kind of grunt in the lows.

• Members

If you are looking for a solid-state power amp to use with guitar I would suggest the Rocktrons. I own and have used both the Velocity 120 and the Velocity 300 with great results. They are single rack height and pack plenty of power.

I use a rack-mount tube preamp (Peavey Rockmaster or Mesa Studio or Marshall 9001 or Chandler Tube Driver) or a great solid-state guitar preamp (like the Art Power Station) with these amps and they kill! An important thing to note is that the Rocktron Velocity series are designed and optimized for guitar use and are not a straight clean power amp. These amps have a "feel" to them that you don't get from a PA power amp like a QSC or Crown.

Also, these amps are stereo (if you want to run stereo effects into two cabs or a stereo cab) and the Velocity 300 can also be bridged for 300 watts into 8-ohms mono! This delivers a lot of configuration versatility!

Steve

• Members

I haven't used a ton, but I was always impressed by the old Marshall Valvestate power amps.

+1. I used one for years in the 1990's, with both an ADA MP-1 and a Rocktron Chameleon, sounded great.

I have also used and still own a TubeWorks Mosvalve, sounds great as well.

Archived