How much should I tip a contractor?

johnkline

• Members

Why does everyone expect tips just for doing their {censored}ing job they are being paid to do? It's one thing if they are a waitress and don't get paid a normal wage as the comp structure is built on tipping, but why does every fast food place have a tip jar at the end of the counter like I'm supposed to tip them for taking my order and handing my food?

I can say honestly I never expect to see a tip, but if I get one I think that speaks about the job I did.. You are talking about a tip jar for 5 minutes worth of food service. Im pretty sure they are just hoping you drop the left over change in there... For a job like mine it takes days with a lot of sweat, skill and hard work.. Some people have the kindness to recognize the effort and pay a little extra as thanks.. Its only a good thing..

• Members

Why does everyone expect tips just for doing their {censored}ing job they are being paid to do? It's one thing if they are a waitress and don't get paid a normal wage as the comp structure is built on tipping, but why does every fast food place have a tip jar at the end of the counter like I'm supposed to tip them for taking my order and handing my food?

{censored}in A! I was about to go to Five Guys yesterday, and as I was about to stop, it occurred to me that they have tip jars there, and they do this retarded thing where they whoop and holler if you give them a tip, which I find embarrassing. I drove on and went to Wendy's instead. First time in my life I actually chose another restaurant based on the tip jar issue.

I just want to pay for my meal without being passively panhandled - is that too much to expect?

• Members
{censored}in A! I was about to go to Five Guys yesterday, and as I was about to stop, it occurred to me that they have tip jars there, and they do this retarded thing where they whoop and holler if you give them a tip, which I find embarrassing. I drove on and went to Wendy's instead. First time in my life I actually chose another restaurant based on the tip jar issue.

I just want to pay for my meal without being passively panhandled - is that too much to expect?

What you just did is idiotic on multiple levels :facepalm:

• Members

No {censored} huh?

Oh yes they can, its called hiring illegal aliens to work for a fraction of what your skilled labor does. Then when the homeowner sees what a {censored} job was done they try and lo ball another contractor to fix it. Used to happen to us all the time back when I was working in plaster. We just refused to take the jobs that required us to have to fix the dry wall or lathing before we could start unless they paid us the extra it cost to make the {censored} proper before we could start spreading.

Well that is true, i was trying to say that you cant do concrete over the phone, but that is valid.

Also up by where i live we dont really have illegals. What we do have is people who cant do their jobs very well and massively underbid everyone else. When we get into one of those situations where someone did an awful job that they'd like me to fix for basically nothing, i tell them the same thing. You cant polish a turd, start over and rip it out.

• Members

I've used contractors a lot; it depends. If you have a contractor that you are going to be using a good few times, I would say worth it.

I did up two flats and needed to use a contractor. I wish he was still in the game, a good, hard working general builder is not easy to find. He always did good work as he knew there would be plenty tea, coffee, a labourer (me) who didn't question him and a few extra quid come payday. Really, he was recommended to me as he'd been out of work and had a kid on the way. I kinda felt obliged to give him a few coins extra.

So yea, if it's going to be someone you're going to be using again, tip. If not, it's your call.

• Members

Man, I have to read stories from the general public everyday, and the skilled musicians always seem to stand out because you can tell, they're not just lazy bastards... dudes just can't make a living because the market is saturated with hacks that don't give a {censored}. It really forces you to take a look at how we're all raping ourselves in the ass.

You think wages are stagnant in contracting? Musician wages haven't gone up significantly in forty years.

I for one, am happy to pay more to get something done right the first time.

• Members
I do plumbing and got 30 bucks to just go out to a guys house and tell him how to install a new water heater. I took me literally 10 minutes to show him how to drain the tank, cut the PEX, haul the old unit away, install braided lines w/ Sharkbites in them, and replace the {censored}ty factory drain valve.

I find that people will pay anything for peace of mind just as long as it's done right.
:thu:

Done right? You just listed the WRONG way to isntall a water heater. Braided valves with sharkbites? You call that plumbing? That's homeowner bull{censored} right there.

just an afterthought; Wouldn't it have been better to charge the guy a couple hundred and install the heater yourself? Isn't that what it means to BE a tradesmen? Not a teacher? 30 bucks you made, you not only lost out on that one customer, but now the number of people that he'll say to, "It's east to do that, let me show you this simple hack ass way to do it wrong."

Good job sir.

• Members
I ended up giving him 50.00 as a tip. In return he left me a couple packs of shingles, several boxes of nails and plenty of wood and pegboard to build extra shelves.

:thu:

Awesome... I'm sure he appreciated it. You never know, you may have well bought his kid some needed shoes or something. Regardless of how he spends his money, at least you invested in a good piece of your country instead of these cheap asses that are investing in future Bataan death marches somewhere overseas by buying Bugera, Vox, Marshall, Egnater, etc. chinese crap.

• Members

It's terrible that America doesn't appreciate skilled craftsmen anymore. Sure... the dude from the labor depot will work for $50 a day, forcing lowes to bid super low for their constractor pool, meaning the contractors are forced to devalue their trade... It's an awful place for america to scrimp on... but, we'd rather save money to buy more chinese made crap...

.ratnt

I don't think that most Americans care how valuable skilled labor really is in the first place. The government is no damn help either, and it's hit everywhere. Thing is, Americans often can't pay for skilled labor because it costs them most of their paycheck. That is why the DIY market has exploded in the building trades & car repairs. So people go cheap, and hope they don't have to fix the same problem down the road.

I work in a printed circuit board shop, been doing that for 20 years. Matter of fact, most of the people I work with have been in the business as long.

90 % of that trade has gone to Asia because of price alone. Our company survives because we stay away from consumer electronic items. We concentrate on RF/microwave, aerospace. military, and exotic laminate constructions for our customers. Lots of that stuff is made in the USA under customer's/ government procurement specs...How it relates is that we still have to compete on price with the Asian board shops because of labor costs.

Archived