Top 3 Favorite Death Metal Albums.

Chrisjd

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's hard to do....way too many frickin killer albums out there. But if you had to go with just sheer volume of hours played in my cd player/Ipod/computer....it would be the following three:

Cannibal Corpse - The Bleeding
Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten
Asphyx - Last One on Earth

• Members

Tough one.

Opeth - Orchid

Truly epic album. First time I felt br00tal vocals to actually be musical.

At The Gates - Slaughter of the Soul

Some really great tracks on this, mainly mentioning because it has AtG's tightest guitar tone.

Entombed - Left Hand Path

Aside from Opeth stuff which is a bit more watered down, this is the first full on Death album I really loved.

Death - Symbolic coming a close fourth. Also do Amon Amarth count? A lot of the distinctions between metal subgenres get muddy.

• Members

Decapitated - Nihility

{censored}ing AMAZING riffs and I really dig the guitar tone though others might not.
I love Sauron's vocals on this and the general ferocity of the whole album.

Vomit The Soul - Apostles Of Inexpression

AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING production.
Incredibly heavy slam riffs and awesome vocals.
It's just perfect.
:rawk:

Suffocation - Pierced From Within

Are you kidding me?
Frantic as hell riffing and Mullen (IMO) at his best.
Awesome drumming and amazing bass work.
Some really awesome slam riffs in this as well to mix it up from the unrelenting tremolo picking barrage.

• Members
More Death Metal than Domination.

Actually not really. Dominate the song is more death metal than either of those Death albums... Death's last 2 werent meant to be death metal. Chuck was always kinda against that nametag, (and even though labels are just labels) those last 2 albums just arent death metal.. You can dig them, and they are pretty cool musically, but his vocals just ruined them for me. Its like he took the leap to leave the death metal genre behind, yet couldnt commit on the vocals.. They are in no mans land.. Not near heavy enough to be death metal, and not raw and tough enough to be thrash or whatever. It's pretty much progressive metal with horrible vocals!! Which I guess makes sense, since most prog metal/rock have {censored} vox :lol:

And what gave you the idea I would defend Domination? Its a good album, but hardly one of my favorites. Its Morbid Angel's "Heartwork" in a sense.. The major label influence was apparent on both those albums.. Simpler riffs, vocals cleaned up a lot and a lot of melodic solos and parts... The first 3 MA albums is what I pledge my allegiance to.. And Formula's//

• Members

Death - The Sound of Perseverance: Songwriting can have importance on a brutal metal environment.

I love Death, and I like this album okay, but honestly, I always felt that the songwriting or compositional aspect of it was really weak. Like, the material itself is mostly good, but the transitions between parts are often really weak and disconnected sounding, and the transition will happen the exact same way when that section happens later in the song...

Anyway:

Cynic - Focus

Pestilence - Testimony of the Ancients

Death - Human

• Members
Actually not really. Dominate the song is more death metal than either of those Death albums... Death's last 2 werent meant to be death metal. Chuck was always kinda against that nametag, (and even though labels are just labels) those last 2 albums just arent death metal.. You can dig them, and they are pretty cool musically, but his vocals just ruined them for me. Its like he took the leap to leave the death metal genre behind, yet couldnt commit on the vocals.. They are in no mans land.. Not near heavy enough to be death metal, and not raw and tough enough to be thrash or whatever. It's pretty much progressive metal with horrible vocals!! Which I guess makes sense, since most prog metal/rock have {censored} vox
:lol:

And what gave you the idea I would defend Domination? Its a good album, but hardly one of my favorites. Its Morbid Angel's "Heartwork" in a sense.. The major label influence was apparent on both those albums.. Simpler riffs, vocals cleaned up a lot and a lot of melodic solos and parts... The first 3 MA albums is what I pledge my allegiance to.. And Formula's//

They became tech-ish death metal. I can't believe you say they AREN'T death metal.

I mean yeah, his vocals on TSOP weren't all that great. Symbolic was pretty {censored}ing good though.

Individual Thought Patterns > Altars of Madness > All other MA records

• Members

I love Death, and I like this album okay, but honestly, I always felt that the songwriting or compositional aspect of it was really weak. Like, the material itself is mostly good, but the transitions between parts are often really weak and disconnected sounding, and the transition will happen the exact same way when that section happens later in the song...

How dare you!?? This is HCAF, and Symbolic and The sound of Perseverance are timeless classics and pretty much the definitive "Death Metal" albums!! haha Not Human or Leprosy or even Individual Thought Patterns.. Oh and also Carcass Heartwork is holy Grail {censored}, too.. because, you know, its melodic and stuff and all the deep vocals were gone starting on this album, and most of the sick twisted lyrics were gone too.. That makes it good..

• Members

They became tech-ish death metal. I can't believe you say they AREN'T death metal.

I mean yeah, his vocals on TSOP weren't all that great. Symbolic was pretty {censored}ing good though.

Individual Thought Patterns > Altars of Madness > All other MA records

Really, when I B.S about labels of genre's I really couldn't care less, but those albums arent Death Metal.. They were the equivalent (and about the same years) as Napalm death's Diatribes and Inside the Torn Apart.. Night and day difference to me when comparing those albums to the sound and feel of each bands earlier albums.. Diatribes is like some weird version of death/prog rock.. Death's last 2 were death prog or sumthin.. its not the same and being a fan of both those bands before their changes, when those albums hit the street and I went and bought em or heard them, it was like"What the {censored} happened here? this {censored} is weak.." Granted, it was probably necessary for the change, but compared to their earlier works, that {censored} just was weak by comparison and didnt fit.. If you read Cannibal Corpse's Vile liner notes (which was 1996) they say 'this is dedicated to those who STAYED brutal".. That was directed at all the bands who started pussying out then.. Death was one of them.. Them's the facts!

Archived