Having Amp Problems. Do I Need New Speakers?

TheArtofBalence

• Members

Hey guys! It's been a very long time since I've been around these parts so I figured I'd best reintroduce myself. My name is Kevin, I play in a jam band close to the likenesses of Phish, String Cheese Incident, Lotus, etc.

I have a Fender Twin Reverb that I bought off of craigslist about a year ago. I got it for $700 and even though the body of the amp was pretty beat up (tears in the tolex, a knob that looks like it melted somehow, faded on/off light) the amp itself still worked fine and after a full retube (which happened about 5 months ago) it sounded great.

Now, the other day my band had a gig and when I stepped away from my amp to see how I sounded in the mix I noticed that my tone was a lot 'grittier' that it normally is. There was some distortion coming from the speaker that wasn't supposed to be there and did not sound very natural. When I would play single notes it wasn't very noticeable- yet when I would play any kind of chord the amp sounded like it was, well, I can't think of any other way to describe it other than 'farty'.

Anyway, I am wondering- did I blow a speaker somewhere along the way? I use a lot of effects including a Q-Tron which I use almost as a 'super boost' during some solos and I play through a hollowbody guitar and like to manipulate feedback. I also had my amp sitting at a friend of mine's place for a while (who doesn't quite know how to work gear very well) and I think he may have gone a little overboard with my loop pedal, wah pedal, and feedback while I wasn't there. (especially after he showed me this 'song' he recorded where he basically turned my amp up way too loud and looped feedback on my loop pedal and tried to manipulate it all while going crazy on the wah :facepalm: )

Anyway, it sounds like a blown speaker to me but I came here for a second opinion- as well as some gear advice. If it is a blown speaker and I need to get a new one, which kind would be recommendable? I'm looking to spend as little money as possible and I'm not opposed to just buying a new stock speaker to replace the old one- but if there is anything nicer or more unique around the same price range I would love to know about it.

Thanks for the help!

• Members

I had the exact same problem with my Twin at our outside gig Sunday. Exactly right...it sounded farty. I had come to the conclusion that it was a power problem, as in not enough, but maybe new more powerful speakers would help. But, maybe a Twin, even though it has a lot of power, isn't the right type of amp for high powered music?!?

• Members

I don't think the problem is the kind of music. I mean, its just a clean signal boosted by some various pedals. People have been doing that with Fender Twins for decades now. But its when you abuse the amp (like my friend did with mine) or just simply through a long period of slight abuse (like using loud, heavy effects on it day after day) that problems can occur. Am I correct?

• Members

it could be a number of thing, speakers, tubes, caps. The only way to troubleshoot it at home is by elimination. First, plug the amp into another cab, if the problem is gone, then yes, it's the speakers. Next step would be to try a set of tubes that are known to be in good condition.

If these 2 things do not solve the problem, than you would need to take it to a tech.

• Members

That seems to be something tube amps just do. I gigged my Blackstar two nights in a row a few wees back. The first night it sounded so good I wanted to sell my Marshall and just use Blackstars. The second night, it sounded harsh and farty. I have no idea why they do that, but most amps I've had seem to have an off night from time to time.

• Members

I had the exact same problem with my Twin at our outside gig Sunday. Exactly right...it sounded farty. I had come to the conclusion that it was a power problem, as in not enough, but maybe new more powerful speakers would help. But, maybe a Twin, even though it has a lot of power, isn't the right type of amp for high powered music?!?

wat

Archived