Clearest, tightest, driest, most non fizzy high gain amp under 5k?

Tommy Horrible

• Members

What would this amp be? Something that has tons of gain, and feels great and liquidy to play, but has as little saturation as possible. With a really, really tight almost shallow low end that lets the bass guitar cut through, and a almost complete lack of fizz.

Is there any amp out there that fits this description? VHT? Splawn?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Maybe I'm describing this wrong, it's like I want it to feel like the way a super compressed amp responds, but not sound that way, if that makes sense.
:facepalm:

Marshall Superbass or Superlead. Crank it. Enjoy. If you want more of a modern high-gain sound, maybe an SLO. But a VH4 will get you there as well, but it's going to be more compressed unless you crank those mids.

• Members

Maybe I'm describing this wrong, it's like I want it to feel like the way a super compressed amp responds, but not sound that way, if that makes sense.
:facepalm:

You might like the VH4, especially CH3. It has a strange combination of "bark" and compression. It was too compressed for me, I didn't get along with the feel, but it might be just what you want.

• Members

From an interview with JC himself:

TV: Was that guitar used to record anything on "Danzig"?

JC: ...I ended up choosing a Paul Reed Smith guitar because it had the overall fullest sound. We rented that guitar from the music store and that was the one that I did all the rhythm tracks with. As far as amps, in the studio, I think we used a "Bedrock" amp on a couple of songs

• Members

Ok, what did John Christ use on Danzig I? That's the sound I'm trying to describe. It sounds super clear and clean, but it's got a enough gain to make Pinch harmonics scream.

I think you will have a hard time finding an amp to be exactly like that. I think the Cobra will get you there with an EQ in front of the amp. If you find an amp that tight and dry, it's going to sound like {censored} with tight sounding pickups but would be perfect for drop tunnings. I dig that same Danzig tone also.

Archived