Who else loves their Jeep?

pioneerprogress

• Members

that's a lot of miles for some cars, for a Jeep you're golden.

yeah and even when it blows you can find engines at junk yards with 50-100k miles on them for pretty cheap, these cars are a dime a dozen and are very user-friendly as far as repairs.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
yeah and even when it blows you can find engines at junk yards with 50-100k miles on them for pretty cheap, these cars are a dime a dozen and are very user-friendly as far as repairs.

I haven't had this much space in my engine compartment in...ever.
Not even with my old carbureted mustang :lol:

• Members

I have a friend thats a jeep fanboi. He still has an old comanche at his brothers place that he wants to fix up. He finally got rid of his 1991 grand cherokee and got a wrangler. He had another cherokee at some point too. I had a cherokee for a couple days (it was given to me by my grandfather when he died), until my stepdads dad took it and totaled it. My buddy frank had a cherokee, and we were driving over speed bumps really fast and BAM...one of the engine mounts busted and all we heard was the fan hitting the inside of the engine compartment lol. His gf has a wrangler.

I remember spending hours working on my friends cherokee. My ex had a cherokee too lol. They are cheap, and cheap to work on and fix, and while the engines last {censored}ing forever, I have found that everything else does not lol....so I got sick of every one having jeeps and having these stupid problems lol.

• Members

I had a 98 TJ, loved that thing and miss it so much. I had built it up pretty good for rock crawling. Sadly, I was spending $18 a day to go back and forth to work and at the time could not afford a 2nd vehicle so it had to go. I do plan on getting another one and building it up again but it will be a recreational vehicle. I learned the hard way that a built up Jeep should not be a daily driver if you put any kind of mileage on it.

A few action shots for your enjoyment. Had a lot more but lost them in the great hard drive crash of 2006.

10e1slv.jpg

20j5loy.jpg

2czpppj.jpg

2mxg12w.jpg

• Members
479461.1-lg.jpg

What say ye about the new model?

I REALLY dig this new one. It's up there with the Audi, VW, BMW SUV's imo.

However, that said. I was {censored}ing SICK and TIRED of old Daimler/Chrysler/AMC Jeeps. {censored} the 4.0. {censored} the AW4. {censored} the AX-15. {censored} the NV231. {censored} Cherokees. {censored} CJ's...

Man... I never again want to deal with an XJ Radiator. The Power steering pump. That Godawful water pump replacement. D35 axles breaking with stock tires. The Bendix brake system :mad: The GM ignition the the pre-'90 Jeeps. The 4.2 {censored} box with no top end. The AMC20 spun bearings :mad:

Oh... and the cooling system on the pre-'90 Cherokees... the infamous closed cooling system. Burp that {censored} right, and cross your fingers or you'll find yourself stranded :mad:

Then that goddamn rear main seal on the 4.0. I'd rather walk than change another one of those, or deal with puddles of oil whereever I part. Screw Jeeps.

• Members
However, that said. I was {censored}ing SICK and TIRED of old Daimler/Chrysler/AMC Jeeps. {censored} the 4.0. {censored} the AW4. {censored} the AX-15. {censored} the NV231. {censored} Cherokees. {censored} CJ's...

Man... I never again want to deal with an XJ Radiator. The Power steering pump. That Godawful water pump replacement. D35 axles breaking with stock tires. The Bendix brake system
:mad:
The GM ignition the the pre-'90 Jeeps. The 4.2 {censored} box with no top end. The AMC20 spun bearings

Oh... and the cooling system on the pre-'90 Cherokees... the infamous closed cooling system. Burp that {censored} right, and cross your fingers or you'll find yourself stranded

Then that goddamn rear main seal on the 4.0. I'd rather walk than change another one of those, or deal with puddles of oil whereever I part. Screw Jeeps.

Oh god the D35 were completely useless! I never understood the reasoning behind using so a weak rear axle on a 4x4. The I6 4.0 was hit or miss. Some people had no issues with them, others complete nightmare. Same for the AX-15. The NV231 was a pretty decent transfer case. I never heard of anyone having serious issues with them. As always when talking about cars, YMMV.

• Members

Oh god the D35 were completely useless! I never understood the reasoning behind using so a weak rear axle on a 4x4. The I6 4.0 was hit or miss. Some people had no issues with them, others complete nightmare. Same for the AX-15. The NV231 was a pretty decent transfer case. I never heard of anyone having serious issues with them. As always when talking about cars, YMMV.

The D35 was spec'd for use behind the original 2.8 liter GM V6 which had no low end compared to the 4.0.

The 4.0... ran forever, but man was it noisy, lacking top end, and constantly sounding like it was about to die.

AX15 ... just was never my favorite manual to shift. Was clunky, but not in the cool NV4500 way. Just clunky and awkward feeling with a WIDE throw.

The 231 was decent... unless your chain stretched causing chain slap. Or you lifted your Jeep and the slip yolk caused death wobble.

ooooooooh... another thing... that dumbass drag link/tie rod setup on the driver's side drop D30 equipped Jeeps. {censored} was that dumb.

• Members

'04 TJ here. Still keeping an eye out for full doors. Summer time seems to make them more available. Getting my father-in-law to help put in an OldManEmu lift in August.

Speaking of my F-I-L, he recently picked up a '98 Cherokee with 91k mileage for $600 from the WA state motor pool surplus. He replaced the transfer box and driveline with what he had the shelf. Bam, good as new. :thu:

hummer-recovery.jpg

• Members
The D35 was spec'd for use behind the original 2.8 liter GM V6 which had no low end compared to the 4.0.

The 4.0... ran forever, but man was it noisy, lacking top end, and constantly sounding like it was about to die.

AX15 ... just was never my favorite manual to shift. Was clunky, but not in the cool NV4500 way. Just clunky and awkward feeling with a WIDE throw.

The 231 was decent... unless your chain stretched causing chain slap. Or you lifted your Jeep and the slip yolk caused death wobble.

ooooooooh... another thing... that dumbass drag link/tie rod setup on the driver's side drop D30 equipped Jeeps. {censored} was that dumb.

Did not know that about the D35, learn something new everyday. :thu: The 4.0 was noisy? I probably never noticed over the stereo and wind noise from the soft top.

Valid points on the 231. Since my crowd was all about lifted built up Jeeps, a slip yoke eliminator was considered a must do on a 231 once you got above a certain amount of lift. Some even did the upgraded chains but that was pretty rare.

First time out with my Jeep prior to any major mods I destroyed my drag link trying to get over a rock (okay boulder to most). It did not take much to snap the drag link in half. Luckily, I was aware and had a spare with me but still sucked having to swap it out. I eventually upgraded to a custom built cross over style setup with massive tie-rods and chromoly tubing. I could then push those rocks around without any worries.

• Members

Yeah, exhaust manifold was notorious for cracking, doesn't really bother me though, I mean, it's a Jeep, it's not a luxury vehicle. The old ones aren't, anyway. Fortunately, mine is not noisy. Got lucky I guess :D

• Members

My '96 Cherokee Country looks like hell but runs like a {censored}ing champ. I've had it for over 8 years and its been paid for since 2004 (bought it from a guy for $7k back in early 2002). The 4.0l I6 is such a great engine, and these vehicles are just an all-around incredible value. Reminds me of that Merle Haggard song "Are the Good Times Really Over"...

• Members
Yeah, exhaust manifold was notorious for cracking, doesn't really bother me though, I mean, it's a Jeep, it's not a luxury vehicle. The old ones aren't, anyway. Fortunately, mine is not noisy. Got lucky I guess
:D

Really? That was actually an area I never had problems with! :lol:

I owned 3 Cherokees and a CJ7 over the years :thu:

Does yours have the tubular header with the "accordian" sections to allow for flex? If not, get one :thu:

Anyway, to add to my list... the serpentine belt on the 4.0 XJ's :mad:

The PCM

The shift interlock override

Throttle body sensor

keeping spare relays around (good idea, since most of the relays in the box are the same ie interchangeable)

can't think of any other consistent issues I had. I will say my '91 and '98 ChryCo models were worlds better than my AMC '90 XJ. That 1990 model was AWFUL.

• Members

Jeeps are {censored}ing rad. I'm actually looking for a CJ7 to build a off-road rig out of...Going to throw a real [GM] engine in it ( :lol: Jk) a dana 60 up front, and a corporate 14bolt in the back...unstoppable.

I love me some jeeps :)

Ladies and Gentlemen...I present to you, a real mans jeep

myIaP0AlUXE

:lol: This is a guy from my local car club. Him and a couple buddies are union pipe fitters, they built this thing from the ground up out of their garage...This is probably one of the most badass rigs I've ever seen. It is truly amazing in person. He's got an 8.1L big block in it, Rockwell 2.5 tons (with 5 ton axles), for wheel steering, doubler transfer cases, and god knows what else...just check out the vid... :)

• Members

:lol:
This is a guy from my local car club. Him and a couple buddies are union pipe fitters, they built this thing from the ground up out of their garage...This is probably one of the most badass rigs I've ever seen. It is truly amazing in person. He's got an 8.1L big block in it, Rockwell 2.5 tons (with 5 ton axles), for wheel steering, doubler transfer cases, and god knows what else...just check out the vid...
:)

Ha that's awesome, it sounds like the T rex from Jurassic Park.

• Members
Ha that's awesome, it sounds like the T rex from Jurassic Park.

I like that vid too :lol: {censored}er just goes anywhere :lol:
That was after "Four Wheeler" magazine's Top Truck Challenge, they were just messing around...those are the editors of the magazine riding with him. They gave him a full write up in last years November-December magazine. Pretty cool, ya know?

Here is one of him doing one of the things of the actual challenge: This is just a small part...I think there are 12 events...he came in second place overall...I forget why he lost, but it's still cool as {censored} none the less :lol: This would be a wild ass ride :rawk:
JC_HAsswRO0

Archived