Does a tube head with line-level out exist?

kirs

• Members

you mean like a slave out on a mesa head? preamp out with volume control on the output.

Not sure. Could the slave out go to a board without a speaker attached to the head? Basically looking for tube power without a speaker.

• Members

Not sure. Could the slave out go to a board without a speaker attached to the head? Basically looking for tube power without a speaker.

if you have a tube amp and you have it on you have to have a speaker cabinet or a dummy load hooked up to the speaker out. end of story, no two ways about it.

maybe you just want a preamp. the engl e530 has a powered headphone out.

• Members

not as many of those. Some have line-outs with a dummy load. My HT-5 is that way, unfortunately. I wanted to use the line-out for live work but it kills the speaker out. Some are switchable. Had a Koch Studiotone 20 head and I think it was switchable on it. Also check out the Reason stuff. That's either switchable or he can probably do the line out either way. http://www.reasonamps.com/amps_bambinoseries.php

• Members

Just what I figured. Was wondering if any had some kind of dummy load built-in but I guess not. I guess pre-amp is the way to go.

I've had amps by Marshall, Mesa, Traynor and Blackstar that had emulated lines out. The Marshall JVM is the best of them. I use it rather than a mic when playing live. The Marshall and Traynor's line out works when the stand by is on, so you can record silently. You don't even need a speaker plugged in. The Mesa F-50 has a dummy load so you can switch the speaker off, and the Blackstar has a dummy load that's engaged if you unplug the speaker. I'm sure there are plenty of others out there too.

• Members

The problem with all of those line outs is that they only give you the preamp signal. The power section of the amp does not come into play, as far as the signal at the line out jack.

If you want to hear the power tubes, too, get a Hot Plate or other attenuator with a line out. The attenuator goes between the amp and speaker, or you can set it to "Load" and not use a speaker at all.

• Members
The problem with all of those line outs is that they only give you the preamp signal. The power section of the amp does not come into play, as far as the signal at the line out jack.

If you want to hear the power tubes, too, get a Hot Plate or other attenuator with a line out. The attenuator goes between the amp and speaker, or you can set it to "Load" and not use a speaker at all.

Many of them take the signal at the output section, not right after the preamp.

• Members

The Weber MASS attenuator has a line out function with it's own tone stack. You can do some evil things with it. You get the power tube distortion, but not the sound of the cab, of course. As the others have said, that's a big part of the tone you're used to hearing and you'll need some sort of simulator or plug-in for it. But the MASS is fairly cheap and you'll have a very good signal to work with.

I don't recommend it, but I was also able to run the Weber's line-out into the low input of another amp, thereby making the first amp into the world's least practical overdrive pedal. Sounded awesome for the ten minutes I had the nerve to run it.

• Members

Just as a fun fact: I heard somewhere that the first tube amp with build-in attenuator was the Marshall Studio 15.

I find it funny that a big company like Marshall made such an interesting innovation back in the 80's but still failed to properly market it.

I guess it shows what market demands are, nobody in the 80's cared about lower powered amps and attenuators. And now it's all the rage :p

Archived