School me on Mesa cabs.

jr_vw2

• Members

They are awesome!!!!

I have two Stiletto cabs, love them.

The oversize are cool too, more 3D sounding. But are a little more "scooped" sounding and not as tight on the bass.

The Road King ones I would stay away from, personally don't like the C90 for distortion. Cleans would be awesome though.

Anyway, I like my mesa cab better than my Marshall 1960BV. The chunking is "chunkie-er" and the open notes are more open.

That is what it seems like to me.

• Members

I have a recto cab and the quality is unbelievable!

Seriously, I had the recto cab and a 1960A at the same time, and I couldn't get rid of the 1960 fast enough. Just knocking on the side of the cab you can FEEL the difference in quality. Better casters, better handles, better wood, better (IMO) speakers, and better tone. You can not go wrong with mesa cabs.

• Members

Mesa cabs are awesome. I see an Avenger in your avatar so I assume that's what you have. I will say that when I had my Avenger, I played it through a homebrew cab with front mounted greenbacks and it sounded {censored}ing tittays!

I would imagine any of the mesa cabs would make that thing sing. A recto cab is gonna give you a deeper, more full tone whereas a traditional will give you more straight up and in your face mid/high tone.

• Members
so the stileto cabs have a tighter bass response then the Recto cabs? what is a good used price for either of these? Thanks for the input guys

Depends on condish and how long you're willing to wait it out. You can find them in decent to good condish for $400 to $500.

I scored a Mesa Recto 412 for $300 but it was a deal from a friend. :D

• Members

yeah it will be for my Avenger, im running a peavey cab right now and I HATE it. I really want a nice tight crunch I like my sound really tight but at the same time I like the power that a fat bottom end will give you as well.

• Members

I've got a Mesa vertical 2x12 recto cab with the V30's. Can't stand the v30's ... I run a little HT-20H into it & it just isn't tight at all - lpenty loud, but not a good loud - just gets flubby way too fast. Love the quality of the cab & it's the coolest 2x12 I've ever seen - can't wait to get those V30s out of it though ...

HT

• Members
And just to clarify, you'll see the terms "oversize", "recto/rectifier", "traditional", and "stiletto" thrown around. The Traditional/Stiletto cabs are the same, while the Oversize/Recto cabs are the same. Just different names.

This. They actually had the "oversize/recto" cab was the first. The "traditional" cab out quite a while before the Stiletto amps. For whatever reason they renamed the the "traditional" the "stiletto" when they came out with the stiletto amps. However as bright as Stiletto's are I'm not sure the "stiletto" cab would be the best match. However my vert 212 recto cab rocks with it. :)

Archived