So, a buddy of mine is still using the same 2 picks for over 20 years!

DARKMETL/

• Members

I had some real tortoise shell picks I bought in the early 70s. Never used them though. Personally I ddidn't think they sounded any better.

Sold them to a guy that offered me $25 each for them. Quickest $125 I ever made.

40 years was the quickest $125 you ever made? Where you live? China?

• Members

When I was stationed in Germany (Army) back in 1979 I bought my first electric at a German music store. I also bought a pick, because it had a cannabis leaf on it. :D

I used that same pick for about 25 years before I decided to retire it. It was getting pretty worn down, and I wanted to keep it for sentimental purposes. Then I started using POS-A-GRIP picks with holes in them. A few of those lasted for years... I never lose picks, but those would occasionally break because of the holes in them. I'm now down to one left, and I can't find them anywhere. PickBoy has some that are similar, but they don't feel the same.

I can't just use any pick; I'm very picky (bad pun intended!). Now I have to experiment with different ones to find a new favorite. I drill holes in them; it helps me to hold on to them.

I may drop a pick on the rare occasion, but I never lose them. I guess that it's because I'm used to only using one certain pick, so I'm extremely careful with it.

• Members

Used to take lessons from this man many, many years ago. I had one and it would take anything I threw at it until I lost it in a move. They're awesome picks.

He also told me that he had tried some new versions of the ones he has but were different and not as heavy of a gauge or something. Not sure if the new ones were from the posted link or not.

• Members
I dont see how its humanly possible not to lose picks i bought a big box of picks a few years ago and im pretty sure most of them have gone to pick hell. Although the advantage of buying in bulk is you always find them randomly lieing about
:o

Well I asked him how he does it and he just makes sure that he threads them through the strings on the fretboard area as soon as he is done.

• Members

I lose picks at an alarming rate compared to you guys. But I also wear them down. I got these smaller (jazz size but more triangle than round on the backside like a shrunken regular pick) purple dunlop picks now that I love. However they are kind of a medium heavy gauge. Probably bought a dozen or so of them before the local shop quit carrying them. I may have 3 or so left, but they are getting quite wore down also. So I can see how a metal pick could last a while, but any plastic pick would be broke/wore-out in 20 years.

• Members
Yeah sure theres no way the plastics or nylons would generally last all that long but his steel ones would last forever if you don't lose it I guess.

I'm in love with the Dunlop Ultex .60mm picks right now but even they are starting to wear out slightly after a week of use.

Man I wish I could find a pick similar in feel to the Ultex that doesn't wear out :mad:

Archived