Advice for passing Calculus 2

TheRymanChu

• Members

get a tutor. do your homework and any extra work the professor will recommend. my problem was always that everything made perfect sense when the tutor/prof was doing the problems, but i had a real hard time making sense of them on my own.

That's pretty much the problem that I have. When the prof is teaching it makes perfect sense to me. When I have access to the notes and book, then I can do homework no problem. But, when it comes test time, {censored}.

• Members
Exactly -- glad I'm not the only one who knows about him. His enthusiasm is infectious, his knowlege staggering, his generousity inspiring.
:thu:

This, his website is an extremely helpful tool. Everybody says Calc 2 is the hardest but I would disagree, I think what makes Calc 2 hard is that you really need a solid foundation in algebra as well as trig. A lot of people who scraped by in those classes will likely struggle in Calc 2 as most mistakes will be algebraic mistakes. Calc 2 will expose people with weak math foundations faster than any other Calc class.

• Members

I also agree that Calc 2 is the hardest of them. It is all the weird Integration techniques and the infinite series stuff.

I would hit the math center on campus before the class starts and get a brush-up on the basics of Calc 1, and go from there. Generally these classes require doing lots of practice problems, preferably with a solutions manual so you can learn the problems backwards from the answer to the problem.

• Members
This, his website is an extremely helpful tool. Everybody says Calc 2 is the hardest but I would disagree, I think what makes Calc 2 hard is that you really need a solid foundation in algebra as well as trig. A lot of people who scraped by in those classes will likely struggle in Calc 2 as most mistakes will be algebraic mistakes. Calc 2 will expose people with weak math foundations faster than any other Calc class.

I think what makes it hard is it is more abstract. You have all the substitutions all over the place, and it is easy to get lost in the middle. It is more "all over the place" where you have to keep leaving the main problem, going off and doing small problems, then returning back to the main problem. You need good organization :thu:

• Members

I also agree that Calc 2 is the hardest of them. It is all the weird Integration techniques and the infinite series stuff.

I would hit the math center on campus before the class starts and get a brush-up on the basics of Calc 1, and go from there. Generally these classes require doing lots of practice problems, preferably with a solutions manual so you can learn the problems backwards from the answer to the problem.

I would probably recommend he should even think about taking Calc 1 again since it has been 10 years since he's had calculus. Your Calc 1 skills have to be solid to handle Calc 2 because the teacher will not back track. Calc 2 will challenge your problem solving skills to an extreme.

• Members
I think what makes it hard is it is more abstract. You have all the substitutions all over the place, and it is easy to get lost in the middle. It is more "all over the place" where you have to keep leaving the main problem, going off and doing small problems, then returning back to the main problem. You need good organization
:thu:

The biggest thing is your approach to the problems in Calc 2, you better know integrals(patterns) well so you can recognize these patterns so you'll have an understanding of how to approch problems. Practice is the key.

• Members

Taking it right now. It seems to be okay thus far, but we have not taken a test yet. My teacher is an old guy, and he doesnt really seem to know calculus all that well, which i think will help me pass the class, since he will only put problems he can work on the test. i hope that doesnt screw me in calc 3 though.

• Members

Taking it right now. It seems to be okay thus far, but we have not taken a test yet. My teacher is an old guy, and he doesnt really seem to know calculus all that well, which i think will help me pass the class, since he will only put problems he can work on the test. i hope that doesnt screw me in calc 3 though.

Calc 3 is more about being in 3 dimensions. It really doesnt use anything you learn in Calc 2.

• Members

iterated/multiple integrals (calc III) are just a generalization of single integrals (calc II)...

Yeah, it is a continuation, but in my case, we stuck with the simple integrals you learn in Calc 1. At that point, you are tested on your understanding of the 3 dimensions, not your ability to integrate difficult integrals.

• Members

Yeah, it is a continuation, but in my case, we stuck with the simple integrals you learn in Calc 1. At that point, you are tested on your understanding of the 3 dimensions, not your ability to integrate difficult integrals.

Nothing says understanding 3d space like a nice fat triple integral...

Archived