Favorite Literary Characters?

Rogueleader

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When you get up to around book 6 or so, take a few days off and read the prequel, "New Spring". It's actually a shorter read than most of the other books that Jordan put out and it goes into detail about Moiraine and Lan before he was bonded as her warder. There's a fight scene about half way in that just kicks ass, hell the whole chapter leading up to it is amazing.

Duly noted, good sir. :thu: (I hope to get back to finishing Book 4 this week)

• Members

James DiGriz from The Stainless Steel Rat series

Harry Dresden from The Dresden Files series

John Taylor from The Nightside series

Theres more but these are off the top of my head.

Duly noted, good sir. (I hope to get back to finishing Book 4 this week)

Dear god did that series go downhill in the end. the 1st book was great and the 2nd was ok, but after about the 4th or 5th book it got really really bad.

• Members

Dear god did that series go downhill in the end. the 1st book was great and the 2nd was ok, but after about the 4th or 5th book it got really really bad.

I'm ready for the next in the series to come out. Still love the characters but there are so many different threads developing that it takes time to set them all up and make them work.

• Members

Duly noted, good sir.
:thu:
(I hope to get back to finishing Book 4 this week)

You sound like you're in a similar boat I'm in. I started reading the series when it was first published, I think I'm on book 6 or 7, can't remember... :lol:

But Lan, definitely. And Perrin.

Menion Leah

Bilbo and Gandalf

Batman (not entirely literary, I know)

D'Artagnan

Harry Keogh

Jack Crow

Remo Williams & Chiun

Mara Jade

I love Sherlock Holmes and Charlie Chan, but I love the cinematic versions moreso than the literary.

I fly my geek flag high! :wave:

• Members

I'm not sure if it went down or just got too spread out and expansive. My friend who has, in the past, read and reread each book as a new volume comes out just to stay on top of it told me it gets really hard to follow as each new book comes out.

Oh! And Sirius Black and the Weasley Twins from Harry Potter. I like the main cast of characters but those are my favs.

• Members

I'm not sure if it went down or just got too spread out and expansive. My friend who has, in the past, read and reread each book as a new volume comes out just to stay on top of it told me it gets really hard to follow as each new book comes out.

One should probably do what had to be done with old-school computer RPGs from the 80's: Map out everything as you go :thu:

• Members

I'm ready for the next in the series to come out. Still love the characters but there are so many different threads developing that it takes time to set them all up and make them work.

Now that Robert Jordan is dead, i wonder how the new book/s will be.

My main problem with the series is it was very drawn out and having something like 6 or 7 main stories stacked on top of each other made for extremely dense and at times boring reading.

• Members

I haven't seen much love for Lovecraft in here.
:badump:

Honestly, with a group of metal heads, I could have sworn I would see more of his work mentioned in here.
:confused:

Yeah, but all of this characters either die, go insane, or are giant world-eating monstrosities that gibber in the dark! Loves me some Lovecraft, though.

• Members

Roland Deschain.

I love Roland too, great character. Have you read all the books?

Now that I have I'm going back through his entire catalog and reading all the books that tie in with it. I'm currently taking a break from his DT tie ins though to read Under the Dome. It's pretty kick ass so far (about 1/4 way through). If you can't tell I'm a big Stephan King fan. :thu:

• Members

Yeah, but all of this characters either die, go insane, or are giant world-eating monstrosities that gibber in the dark! Loves me some Lovecraft, though.

This.

I'm totally into some Lovecraft, but it's really more about the story and the whole mythos than the individual characters in most of his works, for me.

• Members

This.

I'm totally into some Lovecraft, but it's really more about the story and the whole mythos than the individual characters in most of his works, for me.

I'm totally psyched about the possibility of Guillermo del Toro directing At the Mountains of Madness! :love:

I am teaching The Canterbury Tales this quarter and I had forgotten how great the Wife of Bath is. Classic character.

• Members

I'm totally psyched about the possibility of Guillermo del Toro directing
At the Mountains of Madness
!
:love:

This is relevant to my interests!!!!

I was so sad when he stepped away from The Hobbit since its currently in bankruptcy limbo. But he does dark and weird (as in weird tales weird) so well.....that'd be awesome.

Favorite characters? Sheesh....hmm.

Perrin

Most of David Drake's main characters from the Hammer's Slammer's short stories. I learned more about war and humanity from those stories than most history books.

Lt. Daniel Leary.

Hmm...I dunno. I like books, I guess I don't have favorite characters as often as I have characters I wish would die. :lol:

Archived