The Future of Food

TheRymanChu

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
The other textile places not located in China
:idea:

There's quite a few in the DR, Honduras and, oh my, even on US soil. While Chinas textiles are cheap they're really low quality and shipping is much more expensive to get it from China as opposed to the places mentioned above. And before you call me an idiot again, I'll just let you know that I source textiles for a uniform company.

I called you a dumbass. Idiot was Terman's medical term for an IQ below 20. And, I know very little about textiles. Your answer would have been my guess. I was more making a point that the military buys a lot from China. I just read that some of the textiles are made in the Netherlands. There were 457,000 Americans employed in the Textile industry in 2008, 63,000 fewer than the year before, and 25% fewer than 1997. In 1963, 5% of garments were made outside the U.S., by 2007 5% were made inside the U.S.

• Members

I called you a dumbass. Idiot was Terman's medical term for an IQ below 20. And, I know very little about textiles. Your answer would have been my guess. I was more making a point that the military buys a lot from China. I just read that some of the textiles are made in the Netherlands. There were 457,000 Americans employed in the Textile industry in 2008, 63,000 fewer than the year before, and 25% fewer than 1997. In 1963, 5% of garments were made outside the U.S., by 2007 5% were made inside the U.S.

Our military doesn't buy a lot from China though. There is no strategic value of Chinese products in the military. Do you really think the government would let something like that happen? This is a pretty well known fact I thought. But what do I know I'm just an Idiot.

• Members

You know what bothers me, numbers have been so cooked these days that you can't even trust them. Whether it's unemployment, workforce, GDP, or whatever your looking for.

Man, it bothers me.

I couldn't agree with you more. You have to find about four studies that agree, before you can trust the first set of numbers.

• Members

Our military doesn't buy a lot from China though. There is no strategic value of Chinese products in the military. Do you really think the government would let something like that happen? This is a pretty well known fact I thought. But what do I know I'm just an Idiot.

Ok, I've learned something. What, I should have said is it would be interesting if the British and Australians went to war against China, or if the US went to war against the Netherlands.

• Members

Meh... studies this, studies that... We are doomed from every angle you look at. Whether you buy organic or not, recycle, only purchase certain brands etc, humans are still going to become extinct at some point. We are meant to become extinct, we are a the flaw of nature. Our smarts are the conundrum to our feelings.

Things that will kill us over time (or combination of):
- Energy consumption (petrol, nuclear) and chemical waste
- Disease
- Oceans and water currents (potentially)
- Meteorites
- Natural disasters
- World War
- Global warming + effects
- And ultimately, which we will be long dead before then anyways, the end of the sun's life.

Food is in there, but really there are other things a bit more pressing on the table. As long as humans are greedy, we are {censored}ed.

• Members

Quit {censored}ing riling me up!!!!! this {censored} burns me too.

• Members

We are doomed from every angle you look at. Whether you buy organic or not, recycle, only purchase certain brands etc, humans are still going to become extinct at some point. We are meant to become extinct, we are a the flaw of nature. Our smarts are the conundrum to our feelings.

Things that will kill us over time (or combination of):

- Energy consumption (petrol, nuclear) and chemical waste

- Disease

- Oceans and water currents (potentially)

- Meteorites

- Natural disasters

- World War

- Global warming + effects

Food is in there, but really there are other things a bit more pressing on the table. As long as humans are greedy, we are {censored}ed.

Which Optimists Club do you go to?

• Members

What about the Schmeisers who had to pay out of pocket for their quite significant legal expenses when it was Monsanto Canola invading their Mustard seed field, and Monsanto sued them to block them from removing said offending plants. They did nothing wrong, signed no contracts with Monsanto, and have been attacked repeatedly by the company and it's hired investigators.

Schmeiser knew (this is the basis for the court ruling) that his field was 'contaminated' (most farmers will tell you that the level of alleged contamination he claims was present is virtually impossible)...he harvested the seed anyway and then turned around and replanted it the next spring knowing full well what he was doing. While the folk tale is certainly an interesting read and gives Mr. Schmeiser a pop-culture hero status, the facts of the case paint a very different picture.

He knew what he was doing and the potential ramifications (nobody growing canola or any other grain of that type can claim ignorance on how seed contracts/agreements work...they've been widespread for quite a while) and he went ahead and did it anyway. As I've said before, it's difficult to feel sorry for him. The court sided with him on damages because what he did didn't make any difference to his bottom line. So, he didn't get bankrupted, and the legal fees incurred happened because he a) knowingly did something wrong and b) did not settle out of court when offered. He got off with only paying his own legal fees...he won the battle but lost the war.

• Members

So, he didn't get bankrupted, and the legal fees incurred happened because he a) knowingly did something wrong and b) did not settle out of court when offered. He got off with only paying his own legal fees...he won the battle but lost the war.

Monsanto's out of court settlement was for Schmeiser to pay them initially $21,000 and then $400,000. He never signed a contract with them or purchased their product. The canola blew into his fields. He made his own seeds.

• Members

Monsanto's out of court settlement was for Schmeiser to pay them $1million.

Maybe don't knowingly violate the law? Mr. Schmeiser knew EXACTLY what he was doing. Whether going to court ultimately cost him less than if he settled is irrelevant. He still did something he knew he shouldn't and got caught. The end.

• Members

Monsanto Corp (NYSE: MON) has almost single-handedly decimated the honey bee populations in the western hemisphere (Bee keepers who keep their bees "organic" say they've seen no population declines!). They've destroyed the fertile lands in much of the western hemisphere by poisoning the soil with their chemicals. They've made the tomato without fish genes a rarity at your local supermarket and it's nearly impossible to find corn that hasn't been cross-pollinated with one of their GMO crops. They pretty much own most of the law makers in the western world and have successfully sued farmers for growing crops that were cross-pollinated with their own "patented" crops via the wind in Canada! They're behind the movement in Congress to tag all livestock and register the farm (or property) on which they're kept as well as trying to destroy all non-GMO seed stocks. They've all but put the small farmer out of business forcing them to buy their dangerous poisons or be pushed out of the markets not unlike the cattle barons of the 19th century using local law and other nefarious tactics to force their competition to succumb.

It

• Members

Monsanto got its start making saccharin. In 1948, the company started making a powerful herbicide; a by-product of the process was the creation of a chemical that would later be known as dioxin.

On March 8, 1949, a massive explosion rocked a Monsanto herbicide plant. Court records indicate that 226 plant workers fell ill. In the 1960s, the factory manufactured Agent Orange, which later became the focus of lawsuits by Vietnam veterans contending that they had been harmed by exposure.

Monsanto has manufactured plastics, resins, rubber goods, fuel additives, artificial caffeine, industrial fluids, vinyl siding, anti-freeze, fertilizers, herbicides, and pesticides before deciding to leave the world of chemicals and instead become a life-sciences company. But Monsanto's history still haunts us: left in its past is the potential responsibility for more than 50 Environmental Protection Agency Superfund sites and dozens of toxic chemicals that most likely are still circulating in our bloodstreams.

Today, Monsanto, according to a report in Vanity Fair (Monsanto's Harvest of Fear), has moved on to harassing farmers who (they believe) refuse to abide by an agreement not to collect any of the seeds generated by plants that Monsanto considers its intellectual property:

"Ever since commercial introduction of its G.M. seeds, in 1996, Monsanto has launched thousands of investigations and filed lawsuits against hundreds of farmers and seed dealers. In a 2007 report, the Center for Food Safety, in Washington, D.C., documented 112 such lawsuits, in 27 states. Even more significant, in the Center's opinion, are the numbers of farmers who settle because they don't have the money or the time to fight Monsanto. "The number of cases filed is only the tip of the iceberg," says Bill Freese, the Center's science-policy analyst. Freese says he has been told of many cases in which Monsanto investigators showed up at a farmer's house or confronted him in his fields, claiming he had violated the technology agreement and demanding to see his records."

http://www.seventhgeneration.com/learn/inspiredprotagonist/monsanto-evil-company

• Members

MONSANTO

Human Rights Abuses: Displacement, health violations, and child labor

Monsanto is, by far, the largest producer of genetically engineered seeds in the world, dominating 70% to 100% of the market for crops such as soy, cotton, wheat, and corn. The company is also one of the most egregious abusers of the human rights of food sovereignty, access to land, and health.

Monsanto promotes mono-culture

Archived