The Future of Food

TheRymanChu

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What about the Schmeisers who had to pay out of pocket for their quite significant legal expenses when it was Monsanto Canola invading their Mustard seed field, and Monsanto sued them to block them from removing said offending plants. They did nothing wrong, signed no contracts with Monsanto, and have been attacked repeatedly by the company and it's hired investigators.

Read the case briefs instead of scanning Wikipedia. They were not innocent in that case, but because they weren't found to have gained any significant advantage, no damages were awarded.

• Members
Do you know how to critically evaluate literature? You've cited a propaganda publication as proof of your propaganda.

Go ahead and look through there. Are you saying the lawsuits cited in it's pages are nothing more than pure propaganda and never happened? I guess the all the Clerks of Courts must be in on it, those damn enviro-hippies. :mad:

• Members
That's because you're watching the other side
:lol:

Actually. I was on the other side for most of my life. Then I started reading. It would seem that ignorance is bliss. What I mean by that is Monsanto is rather quite about its sordid past and pretty good at hiding it.

• Members

Read the case briefs instead of scanning Wikipedia. They were not innocent in that case, but because they weren't found to have gained any significant advantage, no damages were awarded.

How in the hell were the Schmiesers not innocent. And my knowledge of their suit isn't from wiki, it was the closest place to go to get it easily.

The Schmeisers have crafted their own Canola seed for decades, did not plant Canola in the field in question in the law suit, and Monsanto Canola appeared in their field, then Monsanto sued them when they asked Monsanto to remove that Canola. The only "wrong" things they did were to not sign Monsanto's gag sheet, and to fight back when Monsanto threatened them. Where did they do anything wrong?

• Members

Actually. I was on the other side for most of my life. Then I started reading. It would seem that ignorance is bliss. What I mean by that is Monsanto is rather quite about its sordid past and pretty good at hiding it.

The problem is there's really no winning, it's more of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

• Members

The problem is there's really no winning, it's more of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

True man. Its hard to be in the middle of a firefight and keep your head. Im ok with GM stuff..but not the way Monsanto is doing it. Im actually not ok with that company AT ALL!

• Members

I'm not an organic only person, though I make sure I buy organic where it counts. Namely foods where you have to worry about GE strains, and the dirty dozen. One thing I am a stickler for though is buying US grown produce, and buying local when ever possible.

As do I, but locally grown produce can also be GM

• Members

As do I, but locally grown produce can also be GM

Not if you buy from the right people, the disclaimer being that GM/GE strains from neighbors fields can infiltrate unknown to farmers.

We have a couple of local organic farms around here that participate in the farmers market, and do home delivery.

• Members

Mexico.

Florida produces about 75% of the U.S. oranges: http://www.stateofflorida.com/Portal/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=95

Florida produces virtually all the fresh-market, field-grown tomatoes

in the US from October through June each year, and accounts for

about 50% of all fresh tomatoes produced domestically: http://www.floridatomatoes.org/tomato%20101.pdf

• Members

Florida produces about 75% of the U.S. oranges:

Florida produces virtually all the fresh-market, field-grown tomatoes

in the US from October through June each year, and accounts for

about 50% of all fresh tomatoes produced domestically:

Mexico.

• Members
I always find it hilarious to see organic food grown in Mexico.
:lol:

how organic could it be? Watering it with {censored} water, pesticides that are considered organic, etc.

Then people pay more for it. Lol

Show's how little you know. The fields are tested and certified, and the produce is randomly tested. The fact is that you have a much greater chance of your food being contaminated with {censored}-water or sludge buying American produce that is not organic certified.

Also, if you're a smart shopper the price difference is negligible, and sometimes non-existent.

• Members
Not if you buy from the right people, the disclaimer being that GM/GE strains from neighbors fields can infiltrate unknown to farmers.

We have a couple of local organic farms around here that participate in the farmers market, and do home delivery.

:thu:

The term organic has a very different meaning now than it did ten years ago. The application process went down from a few months to a few days. Just because it says it's organic doesn't carry the same weight it once did. Newholland, who unfortunately doesn't post around here any more was a cert organic farmer opened my eyes to this fact.

That being said, being able to talk to the people who planted and harvested those fruits and veggies is a big plus!

• Members

Show's how little you know. The fields are tested and certified, and the produce is randomly tested. The fact is that you have a much greater chance of your food being contaminated with {censored}-water or sludge buying American produce that is not organic certified.

Also, if you're a smart shopper the price difference is negligible, and sometimes non-existent.

So what you're saying is, an American testing organization travels to Mexico and at random, tests products? Right?

• Members
:thu:

The term organic has a very different meaning now than it did ten years ago. The application process went down from a few months to a few days. Just because it says it's organic doesn't carry the same weight it once did. Newholland, who unfortunately doesn't post around here any more was a cert organic farmer opened my eyes to this fact.

That being said, being able to talk to the people who planted and harvested those fruits and veggies is a big plus!

Correction, if I recall correctly NH was a sustenance farmer and not working for a cert organic farm, I could be wrong though.

I do find it funny all the well read people in this thread have yet to mention the fact that the term organic was changed a few years ago...

• Members

World Citrus Production:

Country Grapefruit Lemons & limes Oranges Total

Brazil 72,000 1,060,000 18,279,309 20,682,309

China 547,000 745,100 2,865,000 19,617,100

U.S. 1,580,000 722,000 7,357,000 10,017,000

Mexico 390,000 1,880,000 4,160,000 6,851,000

Mexico, Brazil same difference. Both make great cigar wrappers.

Archived