The Future of Food

TheRymanChu

• Members
sorry man but are you saying that the au natural version of food is MORE dangerous than the GMO version?
:facepalm:

Think about this:

Natural Fertilizer vs Nitrates injected into the soil.

With the Nitrates you are getting those chemicals and nothing else. With natural fertilizer you are getting those same nitrates plus a whole bunch of other chemicals that aren't accounted for that are in the fertilizer.

Just because something isn't grown naturally doesn't mean it is inherently bad.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Think about this:

With the Nitrates you are getting those chemicals
and nothing else.
With natural fertilizer you are getting those same nitrates
plus
a whole bunch of other chemicals that aren't accounted for that are in the fertilizer.

THIS IS A LOGIC FREE ZONE!

• Members

if you stay strictly organic, your body acidity (alkaline if you do it right) would not allow bacteria to survive inside of you, therefore safe. also, coconut water will rape anything nasty living inside your body if you incorporate that into your diet.

Holy {censored}.

Is this a parody of some kind? Am I missing an inside joke?

• Members
A lot was covered. Major points, four companies including Monsanto are patenting all the species of edible plant and seed in every country they can. They are suing farmers to force them to pay to use their seeds rather than reusing old seed from crop. They are adding weird things into the genetics that haven't been tested and nobody knows the side effects. They put a suicide gene in crops so seed has to be purchased. They put test fields all over the country and nobody knows where they all are, so there is a very good chance they will cross-contaminate.

Not this {censored} again. Go talk to soybean and other row crop farmers about this instead of relying on bull{censored} propaganda films. Monsanto sues people because, in order to grow Monsanto products, you have to sign a contract stating that you're not going to replant any of the seeds, etc. People get sued for breach of contracts that they knowingly, willingly, and lawfully entered into. If you don't like it, don't grow Monsanto beans. Pretty simple, actually. They use the same four or five guys in each one of these films to try and make a case about how 'evil' Monsanto is. When you actually know how this stuff works, you can see right through this garbage. Tens of thousands of farmers all over the US use Monsanto products with NO difficulties year in and year out. Five guys get sued for knowingly breaching their contracts (over and over and over again...they were each warned numerous times before Monsanto actually went to court) and everybody cries foul.

The genetic engineering of crops has been going on since agriculture began. Early on traits were manipulated by selective breeding. We're doing essentially the same thing now, except instead of waiting ten generations for a particular trait to be manifested, we can alter the genetic structure of the organism so it's there immediately. Corn is one of the most highly manipulated plants out there, and the reason corn is cheap and readily available worldwide is because we've turned it into a very hardy, high production plant.

There are legitimate issues with the food supply chain, but coming down on Monsanto for contract issues or genetic engineering is not well placed or particularly well informed.

• Members

Not this {censored} again. Go talk to soybean and other row crop farmers about this instead of relying on bull{censored} propaganda films. Monsanto sues people because, in order to grow Monsanto products, you have to sign a contract stating that you're not going to replant any of the seeds, etc. People get sued for breach of contracts that they knowingly, willingly, and lawfully entered into. If you don't like it, don't grow Monsanto beans. Pretty simple, actually. They use the same four or five guys in each one of these films to try and make a case about how 'evil' Monsanto is. When you actually know how this stuff works, you can see right through this garbage. Tens of thousands of farmers all over the US use Monsanto products with NO difficulties year in and year out. Five guys get sued for knowingly breaching their contracts (over and over and over again...they were each warned numerous times before Monsanto actually went to court) and everybody cries foul.

The genetic engineering of crops has been going on since agriculture began. Early on traits were manipulated by selective breeding. We're doing essentially the same thing now, except instead of waiting ten generations for a particular trait to be manifested, we can alter the genetic structure of the organism so it's there immediately. Corn is one of the most highly manipulated plants out there, and the reason corn is cheap and readily available worldwide is because we've turned it into a very hardy, high production plant.

There are legitimate issues with the food supply chain, but coming down on Monsanto for contract issues or genetic engineering is not well placed or particularly well informed.

Since I consider Monsanto and Archer-Daniels to be evil corporations, I have no problem coming down on them all day long.

Monsanto donated seed to Haiti and didn't tell them it was suicide gene. Monsanto forced Iraqis to use their seed. Monsanto has raised the price of seed 100% in the last 10 years.

• Members

Think about this:

With the Nitrates you are getting those chemicals
and nothing else.
With natural fertilizer you are getting those same nitrates
plus
a whole bunch of other chemicals that aren't accounted for that are in the fertilizer.

that's not at all what im saying. An Opposing point of views dont need to be SO polar. Farmers have been "modifying" plants for hundreds maybe thousands of years. Thats not my beef. I don't want to stand in the way anyone who wants to eat cheesy poofs and pop-tarts all day long...{censored} who doesn't want a pop-tart once in a while. What I don't want is a company to have the ability to control the food source of the masses or have the ability to infect my plants with their "strains".

• Members
When these two corporations have bankrupted every farmer in the World, will you agree with me then?

You're not even operating in any kind of factual reality.

Genetically modified plants that produce more food quicker are bankrupting the people using them in a world that has a virtually bottomless need for food? That's sort of like saying that everybody in the world wants a Ford and if Ford starts producing more cars then they're going bankrupt. Do you understand basic economics?

The only people 'bankrupted' from Monsanto are the morons that willfully broke their contracts over and over and over again and got their asses handed to them in court. Don't like it? Don't use Monsanto products. Pretty simple. There are numerous other seed companies out there that would happily sell you their products.

• Members

Genetically modified plants that produce more food quicker are bankrupting the people using them in a world that has a virtually bottomless need for food? That's sort of like saying that everybody in the world wants a Ford and if Ford starts producing more cars then they're going bankrupt. Do you understand basic economics?

The only people 'bankrupted' from Monsanto are the morons that willfully broke their contracts over and over and over again and got their asses handed to them in court.

Well. I have to say that if you consider how pollination works and the fact that the GMO plants are allegedly no different than the Natural plants you have to realize prospect of cross pollination would and will occur. That said who is taking who's rights? It has to be taken into consideration.

• Members

Does not compute.

Organic doesn't mean safe by ANY means. Some scientists believe that organically grown foods may be more harmful mostly do to not being bacteria resistant

BS, those scientists work for GE companies, or have their research funded by them. Make no mistake, Monsanto, DuPont, etc... just want to own the world food supply.

Do you know that if you have a farm, and your neighbor plants Monsanto corn or Canola on their land, which then pollinates your crop Monsanto will sue you, and claim all that corn as their property, and do with it as they will, and reserve the right to dispose of it at their convenience? Worse, the courts are upholding these patent rights on life, which is horrer in and of itself. Nevermind the fact that they're abomination against nature has ruined maybe three generations of your family's work in crafting your seed stock to a point of perfection for your climate and crop demands.

• Members
BS, t
hose scientists work for GE companies
, or have their research funded by them. Make no mistake, Monsanto, DuPont, etc... just want to own the world food supply.

Do you know that if you have a farm, and your neighbor plants Monsanto corn or Canola on their land, which then pollinates your crop Monsanto will sue you, and claim all that corn as their property, and do with it as they will, and reserve the right to dispose of it at their convenience? Worse, the courts are upholding these patent rights on life, which is horrer in and of itself. Nevermind the fact that they're abomination against nature has ruined maybe three generations of your family's work in crafting your seed stock to a point of perfection for your climate and crop demands.

Did you miss the part where I said they work for the USDA. According to this thread we can't trust government scientists or scientists in the private sector. :eek::rolleyes:

• Members

How about all the people that Monsanto sued who weren't using their seed, but had to settle because they couldn't afford the army of lawyers that Monsanto has?

There is no proof that GM food increases yield. No proof that it is resistant to pestilence or blight. Since I have a minor in economics from the University of Florida, yes, I understand economics.

Monsanto has won repeatedly in court on the cross-pollination suit.

You call all these websites propaganda, and you call me ignorant. Yet, you haven't managed to cite a single instance to back up your argument.

• Members
Did you miss the part where I said they work for the USDA. According to this thread we can't trust government scientists or scientists in the private sector.
:eek::rolleyes:

Again. You really need to educate yourself on Monstano's "relationship" with the US government. I'm not saying everyone in the GOV is bad but I don't want them making all my decisions for me thanks.

• Members

The only people 'bankrupted' from Monsanto are the morons that willfully broke their contracts over and over and over again and got their asses handed to them in court. Don't like it? Don't use Monsanto products. Pretty simple. There are numerous other seed companies out there that would happily sell you their products.

Bull{censored}, you do realize that Monsanto places terminator genes in their crops to ensure the farmers are dependent on Monsanto for generation after generation of generic stock that may or may not be suitable for their climates. Worse, when those plants with terminator genes pollinate neighboring fields the gene can be passed on to the neighbors field, who very well have a family stock seed that has been crafted by their family for generations, thus killing the work of those generations, and making them dependent on Monsanto in the future.

I hate it when people that have no idea of what the {censored} is really going on get all holier than thou, all based on the dumbass corporatist trumpeting conservatives love to blat out across the media.

Monsanto is taking steps to ensure that farmers across the world are at their mercy, and when they are will price accordingly.

• Members

Bull{censored}, you do realize that Monsanto places terminator genes in their crops to ensure the farmers are dependent on Monsanto for generation after generation of generic stock that may or may not be suitable for their climates. Worse, when those plants with terminator genes pollinate neighboring fields the gene can be passed on to the neighbors field, who very well have a family stock seed that has been crafted by their family for generations, thus killing the work of those generations, and making them dependent on Monsanto in the future.

I hate it when people that have no idea of what the {censored} is really going on get all holier than thou, all based on the dumbass corporatist trumpeting conservatives love to blat out across the media.

Monsanto is taking steps to ensure that farmers across the world are at their mercy, and when they are will price accordingly.

Fuuucking Right!

• Members

Again. You really need to educate yourself on Monstano's "relationship" with the US government. I'm not saying everyone in the GOV is bad but I don't want them making
all
my decisions for me thanks.

Also, he doesn't realize how many of those government scientists are former employees of Monsanto, or may be treated favorably if they seek employment with Monsanto in the future. It's much like the revolving door of military officers/lobbyists/government contractors.

Archived