Are there any hair metal bands you can "stomach"?

MuyLoCo444

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I hate hair metal.

I guess maybe some early Ratt, random songs here and there. What pure utter crap for the most part imo.

I would say I see the appeal...but no, I don't. To each his own though. I probably like plenty of music that you all can't figure out why anyone does. :lol:

• Members

Hair metal was awesome!

My perceptions of some of them have changed over the years.

Still love:

Cinderella
Extreme
Skid Row
Whitesnake
Badlands
Mr. Big
Def Leppard

Like from time to time:

Dokken
Poison
Kiss
Scorps
Crue

Have a hard time listening to:

Ratt
Warrant
Many others that I loved back in the day

And there's so many bands that I don't really consider "hair" that got lumped in with the crowd by default that I still love and listen to like VH and Ozzy.

• Members

Seems like most people here in this thread consider any metal recorded between 1975 and 1995 as hair metal :lol:

There are really only a few metal bands from the '80s that just didn't work for me... Motley Crue, Poison, Skid Row, Cinderella and Slaughter/V V Invasion being the stand out {censored} bands I couldn't get into at all.

The rest of the glam/pop metal/hair bands were decent/listenable. I can remember talking {censored} about bands like Bon Jovi and Ratt as a young teen, but over the years I have grown to like a few of the hits from those bands.

:idk: I think for those of us who grew up during those years those bands were less about the horribly dated trends in fashion and more about the actual music.

• Members

When I wa a kid hair metal WAS METAL. You had your choice of listening to Wham, MJ, Cindi Lauper, Tears for Fears, etc or listening to metal.

By Todays standards hair metal is not metal. Put it in context though and it changes the entire playing field.

This.

• Members

When I wa a kid hair metal WAS the popular METAL. You had your choice of listening to Wham, MJ, Cindi Lauper, Tears for Fears, etc or listening to metal.

By Todays standards hair metal is not metal. Put it in context though and it changes the entire playing field.

I see what you're saying man, but there was LOTS of metal in the 80s that was NOT hair metal.

It just wasn't nearly as popular.

I'm a hater though, so I try not to rag too much. I just couldn't let it slide there was only "hair metal" or "pop."

• Members

This.

Well I dont consider what they call metal today metal... Even death metal was kool in the 80's.. I listen to some of the recent metal or whatever and I go WTF is this {censored}:idk:

And who made that disco comment? LOL I like some disco..BeeGees FTW

Want to see something hilarious... Get a few friends together.. smoke some weed and watch Saturday Night Fever.. I did that with my wife at the time a few years ago.. I never stopped laughing at John Travolta.. funny {censored}

Hell.. the 70's and 80's had {censored}ed up fashion sense but the rock and metal kicked ass.. and some disco as I have already stated.

• Members

Yeah, you had Priest (who was trying desperately to become hair metal there for a while), Maiden (who has always been and ever shall be m/ m/ ) and Motorhead (who pretty much just scared the {censored} out of me) and the upstart thrash bands starting to emerge. There was metal but it was pretty thin.

• Members
Well I dont consider what they call metal today metal... Even death metal was kool in the 80's.. I listen to some of the recent metal or whatever and I go WTF is this {censored}:idk:

And who made that disco comment? LOL I like some disco..BeeGees FTW

Aaaand this.

• Members

Yeah, you had Priest (who was trying desperately to become hair metal there for a while), Maiden (who has always been and ever shall be m/ m/ ) and Motorhead (who pretty much just scared the {censored} out of me) and the upstart thrash bands starting to emerge. There was metal but it was pretty thin.

Motorhead to me wasnt really metal.. just real hard {censored}ing rock with some punk influences.. Thats how i see them anyway.. IM and priest were just "metal". a perfect formula of what metal should be.. No sub genre BS.. just METAL

Archived