WAY OT: Photoshop / Graphics dudes..HALP!

NixerX

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I understand now what you're going for. Personally I would consider a smart blur and then a live trace into a vector format or maybe posterization and then a live trace. I can do it for you if you send me the file. PM me if you're interested.

Edit...nevermind. I saw the source file and did it for you. Here's the high resolution JPG:

Skull.jpg

And the vector Illustrator file:

AI File

If you need this in some other vector format like EPS for the printing house then PM me and let me know.

• Members

if you want the best result, don't use Photoshop. Scan it in, use it as a template in Illustrator, and trace all the lines. With vectors, you have a lot more flexibility with regards to size and resolution. it can be quite a time consuming process, but the results will be worth it

You could always import the vector art into Photoshop and use the brushes to handpaint it if you wished. Remember to use CMYK colours if you wish to use it for print work such as flyers or t-shirts.

Don't use simple Photoshop filters, it looks cheap and the results are always less than satisfactory. especially if you use it cross-media.

• Members

If someone comes up with a good solution can you educate me? I want to learn more about this stuff. kthxbai

Izzy,

The best way to do what he's asking for IMO is to place the raster image into an illustrator document and then use Live Trace to convert it to a vector graphic as I did above. It takes a bit of tweaking on the settings, but I ended up using a 16 color palette.

• Members

if you want the best result, don't use Photoshop. Scan it in, use it as a template in Illustrator, and trace all the lines. With vectors, you have a lot more flexibility with regards to size and resolution. it can be quite a time consuming process, but the results will be worth it

No need to manually trace in Illustrator since CS3. See my above post.

• Members
I understand now what you're going for. Personally I would consider a smart blur and then a live trace into a vector format or maybe posterization and then a live trace. I can do it for you if you send me the file. PM me if you're interested.

Edit...nevermind. I saw the source file and did it for you. Here's the high resolution JPG:

Skull.jpg

And the vector Illustrator file:

AI File

If you need this in some other vector format like EPS for the printing house then PM me and let me know.

Dude thats pretty {censored}ing awesome right there!!!!! :thu::wave::cool::p:poke::idea:

• Members

:thu:

edit: never even thought of going to smart blur before vector. interesting.

• Members
yeah, that's live trace photo low fidelity.

extremely similar.

:thu:

Ahhh ok. I think that the photo preset has too wide of a color palette so you get too much of the detail of the pencil strokes in there and not enough of the sharp lines you are looking for. If you use a lower color palette like 16 colors, it will essentially posterize the art in a really nice, smooth way.

• Members
Dude thats pretty {censored}ing awesome right there!!!!!
:thu::wave::cool::p
:poke:
:idea:

Glad ya like it man! I'm not totally familiar with shirt printing processes, but in the paper world we always use a 4 color process called CMYK. The color space of the document I sent you is RGB, which is ideal for display on monitors. If you send this to be printed, you may want to convert the AI file to the CMYK color space. If you need that at any point, just PM me. Just wanted to give you a heads up. Sometimes if you send an RGB file to a printing house, they won't convert it properly and you'll get really bad color reproduction.

• Members

Izzy,

The best way to do what he's asking for IMO is to place the raster image into an illustrator document and then use Live Trace to convert it to a vector graphic as I did above. It takes a bit of tweaking on the settings, but I ended up using a 16 color palette.

I totally agree. Live Trace is an excellent tool.

• Members

Glad ya like it man! I'm not totally familiar with shirt printing processes, but in the paper world we always use a 4 color process called CMYK. The color space of the document I sent you is RGB, which is ideal for display on monitors. If you send this to be printed, you may want to convert the AI file to the CMYK color space. If you need that at any point, just PM me. Just wanted to give you a heads up. Sometimes if you send an RGB file to a printing house, they won't convert it properly and you'll get really bad color reproduction.

I just DL'd the ai file you posted on your site. Thank you!

Thanks to everyone for taking a stab at it!

Archived