Concert Review: Revocation, Periphery, Veil of Maya, and Darkest Hour

spawnofthesith

• Members

Just got back from a pretty awesome show. Revocation, Periphery, Veil of Maya, and Darkest Hour at the Marquis in Denver. Cool and really small venue. Overall it was not crowded at all, I was surprised.

Revocation: I had never heard of these guys before, but they were very cool. Kinda like a technical death metal and thrash metal combo. The guitar playing was top notch. There was some 5150 and a Fryette of some sort for the amps. I think they were a little to techy for the crowd though, most people seemed not to really get it. Very impressive band

Periphery: Awesome, as I suspected they would be. Very tight and great energy. The vocals were pretty rough. The screams were perfect, but the singing parts all kinda sucked. The Axe FX sounded awesome, one of the best sounding rigs up there.

Veil of Maya: These were the guys I came to see. One of my favorite bands currently out there. They were tight as hell, and had the best guitar tone of the night. He was playing through a Randall of somesort, it had a GEQ on it. Incredible stage presence and energy as well.

Darkest Hour: These guys were pretty awesome, but we left a little before the end of their set. They were both running 5150IIIs, but unfortunately they had some of the worst sound of the night. The guitars sounded muddy and I couldn't make out the notes and melody, and the leads got lost in the mix a lot. But they definitely delivered.

Awesome night, its been a while since I had been to a concert and it was definitely nice to get out to one again.

/CSB

• Members

According to Misha's facebook, there were problems and the bass rig wasn't functioning for most of the set. He called it the "And Justice For All" tribute set.
:lol:

:lol: That would explain what was amiss during their set. I knew something was up, but I was in the back for them and couldn't see much. It was funny trying to watch people head bang to Periphery, they were all out of sync and confused on timing

• Members

Periphery: Awesome, as I suspected they would be. Very tight and great energy. The vocals were pretty rough. The screams were perfect, but the singing parts all kinda sucked. The Axe FX sounded awesome, one of the best sounding rigs up there.

No it wasn't. You must not read the forums much. The Axe can not sound good much less good live. Please re-post with the proper group opinion. You must say, it sounded digital and was buried in the mix.

• Members

According to Misha's facebook, there were problems and the bass rig wasn't functioning for most of the set. He called it the "And Justice For All" tribute set.
:lol:

Yeah that was a really rough set, we were all a bit distracted by the lack of bass and spence said he was surprised at how much he relied on the bass to be able to sing the right notes, definitely one of our worst performances of the tour sadly...

• Members

Nice man! I was trying to get tom to go see arsis and conducting from the grave down here at the black sheep dec 7th with me, but he has a prior engagment.
:cry:

Ah bummer. I love Arsis, if I had a car I'd be down there for that in a heartbeat. Never heard Conducting from the Grave, they good?

• Members

Ah bummer. I love Arsis, if I had a car I'd be down there for that in a heartbeat. Never heard Conducting from the Grave, they good?

Yeah, like kinda melodic deathmetal/deathcore. They do some pretty good runs up and down the neck, tapping, sweeps....

• Members

{censored}, I totally spaced on this show when it came around...mostly because I only give a {censored} about Revo and Periphery. Revo's touring as a 3-piece this time around? I had figured they'd keep the live second guitarist guy around. Can't imagine it being an easy task to keep up with Dave, though.

• Members

{censored}, I totally spaced on this show when it came around...mostly because I only give a {censored} about Revo and Periphery. Revo's touring as a 3-piece this time around? I had figured they'd keep the live second guitarist guy around. Can't imagine it being an easy task to keep up with Dave, though.

Damn, self- :facepalm: They did have another guitarist with them. I had looked them just before making the thread and was watching a music vid and they only had three there. I musta been out of it making the thread :facepalm::lol:

But yeah, they were definitely really cool. That dude's guitar playing was insane

• Members

Damn, self-
:facepalm:
They did have another guitarist with them. I had looked them just before making the thread and was watching a music vid and they only had three there. I musta been out of it making the thread
:facepalm::lol:

But yeah, they were definitely really cool. That dude's guitar playing was insane

Ah, okay. Wasn't sure if it was a "Hey, let's not take the other guy so we only have to split the $ 3 ways" thing, or a "The other guy couldn't make it and we didn't have the chance to find someone else" thing. Guess it was an "OP needs to be more observant" thing. :poke:

The Fryette is Dave's, though, I can tell you that much.

• Members

Ah, okay. Wasn't sure if it was a "Hey, let's not take the other guy so we only have to split the $ 3 ways" thing, or a "The other guy couldn't make it and we didn't have the chance to find someone else" thing. Guess it was an "OP needs to be more observant" thing. :poke:

The Fryette is Dave's, though, I can tell you that much.

yeah haha :facepalm:

Do you know what kind of Fryette it is? It sounded really good

Archived