Fractal Audio. Good read from Aussie music forum... HMMMM.

lenster

• Members

Content-free post is content-free.

Seriously, nothing in that thread actually really states what the OP's problem with Fractal is, except that apparently he didn't like the way people answered him on the Fractal forum.

Edit: Unless he actually attempted to connect a car battery to the front end of the Axe-FX, which I was assuming is hyperbole (perhaps for an 18V EMG mod, or some active bass?), but if not, certainly is the lulz :)

• Members

Yeah, sounds like whiny crap to me. I had great support from FAS for the one situation where I had to deal with them. Quick initial response to my email (considering our time zone differences), and then pretty much immediate responses on the follow up emails after that.

As for Cliff, I don't have any problem with the way he posts on the forum. For starters, I'm sure he has better things to do than write out lengthy explanations every time he responds to something. His responses are short and to the point, unless it's something that really requires a thorough explanation. Mind you, a pretty hefty portion of things that are asked on the forum have a) been asked and answered before (i.e. do a {censored}ing search on the forum or the wiki), b) can be answered simply by reading the manual or firmware release notes, and in some particularly unfortunate cases, c) a combination of both.

And on that note, he's not one guy working in one department of the whole Axe-FX development team. He made the thing on his own from the ground up. So one might be forgiven for accepting that he basically knows the unit inside out. So when someone claims, "My Axe-FX is doing [insert whatever the {censored} weird bull{censored} here]..." and he knows what they're saying is basically impossible, he won't piss about, he'll just say no the Axe just can't do that and it must be another part of their chain, check this and that or whatever. I don't consider it arrogance or bad customer service, I consider it a short and no bull{censored} response. I don't expect a "Dear Customer..." response to every {censored}ing question. {censored} like THIS crap. No offense to the guy if he happens to post here, but really, WTF? A simple reading of the {censored}ing manual would have explained that. I dunno if it's just me, but when I spend a {censored}ing {censored}load of money on what is basically the most in-depth amp modelling and FX unit around, I'm gonna take the time to READ THE {censored}ING MANUAL at least once so I can try make the most of it. :mad:

If you want a lengthier response than what you generally get from Cliff, there's also a wealth of information in just a few of the other forum users alone. Another user went off at Jay Mitchell the other day, despite the fact that all he'd said was that his "facts" were incorrect (which had already come up before on the forum, and it was explained then too), and explained why and how to correct his procedures. JM was swiftly called a dumbass and accused of all kinds of arrogance, despite the fact he'd been perfectly reasonable the whole time up until then. And even then the worst he said was that he was sick of this {censored}, and posted up what the guy's freq response chart should have looked like. He's another one who gets blasted for being arrogant, when all he does is just post straight up answers with no bull{censored}. That is, until you insist on ignoring facts and stating the same stupid bull{censored} over and over, at which point he'll probably suggest in some way that you might be a bit simple. :o

The forum isn't an "Ask Cliff" forum, it's a {censored}ing user forum that has some input from FAS. IMO we're lucky to have as much involvement from FAS as we get. I remember a while back there were times when users would ask for things and by the next day Cliff would have a firmware release for us. {censored} customer service? {censored} {censored}ing customers! :mad: Some of the things people ask for, or even demand on that forum are just {censored}ing absurd. Why can't I run six amp blocks at once? I WANT TO BE ABLE TO RUN SIX AMPS AT ONCE! I NEEEEED IT NOW!! And while you're at it, give us two more rows to work with so I can run them all in parallel. Hello? Why hasn't this happened yet? Where's our next free {censored}ing firmware update with the 6 amp feature?!?! What? NO?! :eek: You arrogant {censored}! :mad:

Or straight outta that thread, "The hardware hasn't changed in years - they should be in mass production, with no problem meeting demand..." What the {censored} is that supposed to mean? Why does the thing qualify for mass production just because the hardware design hasn't changed? What the {censored} kind of assumption is that? :freak:

Stuff like the long development time on products, stock availabilities, etc. sucks a bit, but they're only a small company in a quite narrow market. They'd be just plain retarded to sink a {censored}load of money in to suddenly ramp up production, hire a {censored}load more people, open up FAS offices around the world so they don't need distributors, etc., especially seeing as everyone's supposed to be {censored}ing broke at the moment. Just like they'd be retarded to not do what they can for "higher profile" artists. When guys like Steve Vai, Dweezil Zappa, etc., are talking for free about how great the {censored}ing thing is, you'd have to be a {censored}ing business-idiot to not jump at that kind of opportunity. I don't hear him bitching about pretty much every other {censored}ing other musical instrument or amp company. :confused:

{censored} a duck, people are {censored}ing thick! :facepalm: You can not like the unit because you prefer a "real" amp setup, or you don't need that many options, or it's too expensive, or you think it sounds like crap, or whatever... but this whiny crap? WTF?

• Members

Sounds to me like the guy had experienced/witnessed bad support with the company. Of course I would expect to see this fall on deaf ears since its the snax and all. If only it were any other company that it's ok to speak against.
:)

The OP doesn't actually say anything about the particular experience that was supposed to be bad. Just that the CS sucks with absolutely 0 information to back that up.

It's an entirely information-free post - there's no reason for it to change anyone's opinion on anything, except perhaps that the OP isn't very good at conveying the point he's trying to make.

• Members

that was a good read ? I dont even know what the {censored} is going on..lol

+1. "Good read?" Painful is more like it. The dude is ranting but can't seem to even articulate any specific problem he has. I'd hardly take any information away from that thread as a prospective customer, you'd have to be pretty dumb to form an opinion based on some content free sour grapes thread on the net. :idk:

• Members

I'm not one of the Cliff-nutswinger-crew that lives over on his forum, but if I'm being honest here the guy the OP linked to sounds like he doesn't have much of a case. Who posts that they're pissed off, but doesn't give a shred of reason? People who don't have a good reason, that's who. Most posts I've seen by Cliff have been extremely level headed and honest.

• Members

I'm not one of the Cliff-nutswinger-crew that lives over on his forum, but if I'm being honest here the guy the OP linked to sounds like he doesn't have much of a case. Who posts that they're pissed off, but doesn't give a shred of reason? People who don't have a good reason, that's who. Most posts I've seen by Cliff have been extremely level headed and honest.

I guess we just have to assume he hooked it up to a car battery and now he's pissed that it doesn't work so he posted that on a forum to try to damage Fractal Audio as much as he can, purely out of spite.

• Members

What I got out of it...he was having issues with updates and after several attempts to resolve them failed he was told it was his issue...I had to read several other threads to get that, but that seems to be the issue?

The other issue with having to wait 2 months to get something fixed because they can't get parts...that sounds bad. Several of you have sold all of your amps and were relying on this $2000 product...2 month turn around???

• Members

I've never been to the Fractual forums . Just thought it was a good read.
Goes to prove that that there is strong support here for the AXE.
Reading between the lines is pretty much what Billy said, that it seems like
Cliff is a stuck up little bitch.
Although having a product that has been Very successfull he probably has days when he wishses HE didn't have to reply to stuck up little bitches.
I don't care other than knowing that i'd still like to try one and hope the support is good if needed.

• Members

Just an honest question here... to develop a product like the Axe-Fx, with all its effects, amp modeling, editor software, etc., would require many man years of effort to accomplish.

Was this all developed from scratch just by Cliff? I would imagine he must have some help, i.e. grunt software engineers????

It's mind boggling to me if this is really just one guy doing everything.

• Members

Here's my .02. Lots of guys seem to have some sort of vested interest in the axefx that have never owned one, and likely have no interest in owning one in the future which doesn't really help anything. The other point is that I think this is just another example of why gear manufacturers are better off answering emails/calls quickly than they are participating in forums. I really don't think there's much benefit to them posting at all unless they are a really small company that no one knows about which may get them some more exposure. Beyond that... forum involvement seems to only hurt these people's reputations. All IMO.

• Members

Read this guys , i found it interesting.

Now NO, i don't own one , am interested in one , but damn , doesn't read well for the AXE FX inventor .....

Digitech may just keep my business.

For someone who appears to be so well spoken, he didn't provide a lick of actual evidence or even indication of what the real problem is. WTF does the guy expect when he writes like the opposite of Hemingway? If his attitude is anything like his prose, then it's clear he's melodramatic.

Archived