Recommend me some Pick ups for a Les Paul

spawnofthesith

• Members

One thing to keep in mind is that all studios and standard LP's have chambered bodies.

You will need a pickup that will fatten up the lows and mids.

A 59 neck and a 59 Bridge with a Alnico 8 magnet to fatten it up sounds killer for PAF tones and a Regular Custom (SH-5)for a hotter output pickup .

• Members

Y'know, I've tried so many pickups on a Les Paul that I don't think one can go wrong. Currently hooked on 70's Maxon U-2000 pickups with Alnico 8's.

But the JB was my least favorite so fat, just kinda SOUNDED LIKE THIS ALL OF THE TIME WITH THE MIDZZZZZZZZZZ AND A LIL BIT OF FIZZZZZZZZZZ.

That, and the least compressed pickups IMO sound the best - there's enough chunk to go around on that platform.

• Members
Y'know, I've tried so many pickups on a Les Paul that I don't think one can go wrong.

But the JB was my least favorite so fat, just kinda SOUNDED LIKE THIS ALL OF THE TIME WITH THE MIDZZZZZZZZZZ AND A LIL BIT OF FIZZZZZZZZZZ.

sorry.
:lol:

For me the JB in my Goldtop was fizzy with a spongy bottom, the Duncan Custom is much tighter with a pronounced midrange attack.:love:

• Members

I find the 498T to be pretty high output. I've read that it's the same as the 500T, but with an Alnico magnet instead of ceramic. I find the 498T in my SG to be just as hot as the BKP Nailbomb in my LP Standard.

I always found the 498t pretty high output too but that's interesting about the 500t, it definitely feels hotter but maybe that is just a ceramic vs alnico thing.

• Members

Wow, lots of good suggestions in here. I wish there was an easier way of comparing pickups in a guitar, that would simplify things quite a bit
:lol:

yes, there are TOO many good options. But if you are looking for 3D tone across the board, I'd give some serious consideration to the Anderson H3/H1- combo. The BG Hellabucker is great, but has a wait time on the build, and might be to high output. Do yourself a favor and find some H3 clips on youtube or here. They're tasty.

• Members

I always intended to swap out the PUPs in my Custom with the ZW 81/85 set, because I love the guitar tone he has, but I found that I liked the sound of the stock PUPs, so they stayed. I have found that the stock PUPs sound great with some Hi-Gain amps, and not so great with others.

• Members

I always intended to swap out the PUPs in my Custom with the ZW 81/85 set, because I love the guitar tone he has, but I found that I liked the sound of the stock PUPs, so they stayed. I have found that the stock PUPs sound great with some Hi-Gain amps, and not so great with others.

ZW's sound has a lot more with the fact that he runs his amps with 6550's and higher-wattage speakers, IMHO :thu:

Archived