GSP...

Oblivion DC

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

im not taking anything away from gsp's performance, i thought he looked phenominal and im a hater so it takes a lot for me to be impress by hiz performans, but he has to start putting away guys especially when they are on the ropes like that.

• Members

im not taking anything away from gsp's performance, i thought he looked phenominal and im a hater so it takes a lot for me to be impress by hiz performans, but
he has to start putting away guys
especially when they are on the ropes like that.

Can't argue with that, at all. It's only a matter of time before "not finishing" is going to bite him in the ass.

• Members

GSP is a tactician, pure and simple. I believe that Kos is a better wrestler than GSP, and closing up to finish a combination on Kos, one eye or not, would have opened GSP up to a take down. Doesn't take much depth perception to drop an elbow on a guy when you're a foot from his face. GSP saw an advantage, and capitalized upon it.

I'm not a GSP nuthugger, I like all-or-nothing fighters (My favorites are Chris Leben and Wanderlei Silva) but you can't deny his brilliance at winning a damn fight without ever putting himself in serious danger. The last two rounds he was landing 8:1 on Kos. A less experienced fighter would have shot in and potentially gotten mashed.

• Members

how was it awesome, he fought a one eyed brawler for 25 minutes and didnt finish him. He basically sparred with a punching bag for 5 rounds. He looked phenominal but enough is enough, this guy has to start finishing top guys if he wants the legacy that FEdor, Wanderlei and Anderson Silva have already cemented.

this so {censored}ing much. sure hes a great striker and what not, but the dude cant finish a fight.

• Members

gsp is phenomenal, and a true mixed martial artist. Gref Jackson transformed him into a machine. He has the attributes and it's impossible to make him derail from his game plan.

That being said he does not commit or break his rigid gameplan which is why he doesn't finish fights.

It's also why he doesn't lose.

That being said he just grinded out koscheck the way he did with hardy and thiago alves as well. He just did it standing up...

• Members

Weight wise you might be right, but weight doesn't mean everything as seen in the Lesnar vs. Cain match.

GSP has fantastic wrestling which is Silva's big weakness. Silva couldn't pull of a last minute submission on GSP like he did on Sonnen. I actually think GSP would be very likely to win if he could keep Silva on the ground like Sonnen did.

Bones vs. Silva would be a great match, but I don't know if that is ever going to happen considering how slow they are giving Bones good fights.

I think the difference here though is that Lesnar is still pretty green and relies HEAVILY on his wrestling and brute strength. That doesn't fly against a dude like Cain, who has a great wrestling back ground of his own, and much better conditioning. Where as Anderson Silva is on a whole other level than Brock; the guy doesn't get nervous in the spotlight, he doesn't get gassed, and apart from fighting a guy with a drug enhanced testosterone level while suffering a broken rib, he has always made his opponent fight Anderson's fight. GSP IS a great MMArtist, he fights smart and in last nights fight he got in and out and landed a bunch of points, but Silva's landed half as many punches in a round and left dudes picking up their teeth. Hendo came in from Pride with 2 belts, Anderson took one. Forrest Griffin choked out the current 205 world champ, Silva KO'd him with a jab in the 1st. GSP is great but I don't think he can hang with a bigger dude, the same way Penn couldn't hang with GSP.

You're right about Bones / Silva, maybe we'll get Lyoto / Bones instead?

• Members

I think the difference here though is that Lesnar is still pretty green and relies HEAVILY on his wrestling and brute strength. That doesn't fly against a dude like Cain, who has a great wrestling back ground of his own, and much better conditioning. Where as Anderson Silva is on a whole other level than Brock; the guy doesn't get nervous in the spotlight, he doesn't get gassed, and apart from fighting a guy with a drug enhanced testosterone level while suffering a broken rib, he has always made his opponent fight Anderson's fight. GSP IS a great MMArtist, he fights smart and in last nights fight he got in and out and landed a bunch of points, but Silva's landed half as many punches in a round and left dudes picking up their teeth. Hendo came in from Pride with 2 belts, Anderson took one. Forrest Griffin choked out the current 205 world champ, Silva KO'd him with a jab in the 1st. GSP is great but I don't think he can hang with a bigger dude, the same way Penn couldn't hang with GSP.

You're right about Bones / Silva, maybe we'll get Lyoto / Bones instead?

The thing is though, Brock really uses his weight with his fighting style. That and his weight difference between him and Cain was even larger than it would be between GSP and Silva if GSP was to move up.

I don't see Anderson Silva using his weight advantage as much against GSP as people are saying. His reach advantage would be useful for his style, and the weight would help in the clinch, but Anderson isn't the type of fighter to use his weight on an opponent to push around his opponent or on takedowns or GNP.

Do you honestly think GSP would have no chance at taking Silva down because of that? Because once Sonnen took Silva down, he stayed there. All Sonnen needed to finish that fight was better BJJ which had always been his problem. GSP doesn't have that weakness. I'm not trying to come off as a GSP fanboy, in fact I like Silva a lot more. I do however think the match-up would be in favor of GSP because of stylistic differences.

And I agree on the last point Lyoto vs. Bones would be a great fight to see.

• Members

Who throws punches beside each other?

Are you talking about this?

Manny-Pacquiao-Double-Fist-Clap-Punch.jp

double-punch.jpg

GOD DAMMNIT! When you said this

GSP has nothing behind the jab. Kos could have easily been finished.

Silva would hammer the {censored} out him.

It read as if you were saying he had no {censored}ing pop in his jab, like it should be a {censored}ing ko punch. When you say besides, it means other than. DO YOU GET IT??

• Members

GOD DAMMNIT! When you said this

It read as if you were saying he had no {censored}ing pop in his jab, like it should be a {censored}ing ko punch. When you say besides, it means other than. DO YOU GET IT??

Behind also means after.

Do you watch boxing? The phrase "work behind the jab" is often used.

Archived