How much and who will program high quality drums for my band?

maiden_fan

• Members

My band is looking to get some studio time to get a new EP recorded. After hearing some of the awesome clips here and other forums and due to very limited funds across the band, I though it may be more cost effective to get the drums programmed?

Is there anyone here that would do that for a fee?

Or anyone you can recommend?

Thanks Tony

• Members

Just record the drums at your rehearsal space (if possible) and replace the kick, snare and toms with samples. No midi needed, just get DrumReaplacer (free) or APTrigga vst ($45).

There's tons of free and high quality samples floating around. Andy Sneap (has recorded Testament, Exodus, Arch Enemy) for example put his samples available for free.

• Members

I see your point, but wouldn't it be better to actually have a decent sounding EP than a really budget recorded one that sounds weak?

Budget recording does not mean weak sounding. I would rather listen to a somewhat raw recording of a real band with a real drummer than an over-produced thing with fake drums, auto-tune blah blah... that's actually part of the reason new music is so insipid these days, too much cut and paste.

I'm not saying make a single-mic garage recording that is barely intelligible, but do something that sounds cool, has tons of energy and everyone in the band contributes with their fingerprint.

Your fans want to hear your band's character and energy. A label is not too concerned about recording quality either, they know they can hook you up real quick if they like what you're doing. If you're unknown/unsigned band, it's not all about production quality, trust me.

• Members

Budget recording does not mean weak sounding. I would rather listen to a somewhat raw recording of a real band with a real drummer than an over-produced thing with fake drums, auto-tune blah blah... that's actually part of the reason new music is so insipid these days, too much cut and paste.

I'm not saying make a single-mic garage recording that is barely intelligible, but do something that sounds cool, has tons of energy and everyone in the band contributes with their fingerprint.

Your fans want to hear your band's character and energy. A label is not too concerned about recording quality either, they know they can hook you up
real quick
if they like what you're doing. If you're unknown/unsigned band, it's not all about production quality, trust me.

Truth.

• Members

It would be better to rent an E-Drum kit, record the hits in MIDI, and send that to someone with either Superior 2.0 or something similar.

+1 to the extreme. This way will be inexpensive, will produce high quality results, and will still retain a bit of the mojo and character of real drums and a real drummer.

I love programming drums as much as anyone could (I do it all the time), but if you have a solid player, then capture his style!

Archived