5150 ,which is the output transformer??

seth-ep

• Members

6505/5150 have 2 huge transformers, and they are in wierd ass places. It's pretty hard to tell which is which.

just curiosity, i keep hearing about upgrading the output transformer and just wondering which one is which

• Members

just curiosity, i keep hearing about upgrading the output transformer and just wondering which one is which

The power transformer is the big one closest to the plug in cable. The output transformer is the other big one.

• Members

Cool, what type of tranny are you going to put in?

not sure if im doing that... but i hear MM is a good option if i decide to the the tranny upgrade, or what do you guys recommend?? ive only been a few weeks with my bl 5150, and havent had one in a long time, just want to familiarize with the amp again before doing changes i guess, but since we

• Members
not sure if im doing that... but i hear MM is a good option if i decide to the the tranny upgrade, or what do you guys recommend?? ive only been a few weeks with my bl 5150, and havent had one in a long time, just want to familiarize with the amp again before doing changes i guess, but since we

• Members

ok now i just spent enough time playing the amp to determine that yes the bass is not tight enough on my 5150 for what i remember, so the original question was cause i was considering a problem with the OT (i bought the amp recently new needless to say) and yes there it is, i opened up the amp and the tranny has solder on the bottom and doesnt have the peavey model sticker like the PT has, to my impression that means that it was repaired(correct me if im wrong) or this is not the original, and i blame that being causing that lack of tightness, i have no fellow players around to compare my amp to another 5150, but i remember the previous one i had with a slight better bass response, but again maybe is something else on the chain, and i might be tripping, what do you guys think??? could the solder came by factory, i doubt but i think i might be on denial :cry:

• Members

ok now i just spent enough time playing the amp to determine that yes the bass is not tight enough on my 5150 for what i remember, so the original question was cause i was considering a problem with the OT (i bought the amp recently new needless to say) and yes there it is, i opened up the amp and the tranny has solder on the bottom and doesnt have the peavey model sticker like the PT has, to my impression that means that it was repaired(correct me if im wrong) or this is not the original, and i blame that being causing that lack of tightness, i have no fellow players around to compare my amp to another 5150, but i remember the previous one i had with a slight better bass response, but again maybe is something else on the chain, and i might be tripping, what do you guys think??? could the solder came by factory, i doubt but i think i might be on denial
:cry:

well a fresh set of tubes might help. When I bought my 5150 it came with mesa branded sovteks and it lacked bass and clarity. I almost sent it to FJA but instead I just got a fresh set of JJ's and put a Mullard RI in the V1 and now it's tighter than ever. Just lay off the resonance and you'll hear and feel the tightness in a band situation. It that doesnt do it, run a tubescreamer in front of it. That will forsure tighten it up.

• Members

well a fresh set of tubes might help. When I bought my 5150 it came with mesa branded sovteks and it lacked bass and clarity. I almost sent it to FJA but instead I just got a fresh set of JJ's and put a Mullard RI in the V1 and now it's tighter than ever.

Your midrange control thanks you! :phil:

• Members

To open a can of worms; MM are snake oil. If you're hell bent on replacing the OT then shop about and see what else in on offer.

Personally I'd drop $50 on different preamp tubes and swap them around. Also JJ's have a rep for being a little muddy so they might not be helping although in a fizzy amp you probably wont notice.

• Members

ok now i just spent enough time playing the amp to determine that yes the bass is not tight enough on my 5150 for what i remember, so the original question was cause i was considering a problem with the OT (i bought the amp recently new needless to say) and yes there it is, i opened up the amp and the tranny has solder on the bottom and doesnt have the peavey model sticker like the PT has, to my impression that means that it was repaired(correct me if im wrong) or this is not the original, and i blame that being causing that lack of tightness, i have no fellow players around to compare my amp to another 5150, but i remember the previous one i had with a slight better bass response, but again maybe is something else on the chain, and i might be tripping, what do you guys think??? could the solder came by factory, i doubt but i think i might be on denial
:cry:

show us a picture you could be wrong. Also what speakers are you using. I highly doubt it's your ot man.

• Members

To open a can of worms; MM are snake oil. If you're hell bent on replacing the OT then shop about and see what else in on offer.

Personally I'd drop $50 on different preamp tubes and swap them around. Also JJ's have a rep for being a little muddy so they might not be helping although in a fizzy amp you probably wont notice.

This mm is crazy overpriced.

Archived