Road Case/Guitar Vault for 4-6 Guitars?

godofmetalguita

• Members

I'm capable of building one for about $200, but it will suck to do. I would much rather pay 300-450 for one...

This is for touring. I dont have hard cases for all of my guitars and I dont much like the idea of bringing gig bags on your.

Not to mention it would make loading much easier. Guitar cases suck to carry, as they are one of the only things not on wheels.

• Members

Not to mention it would make loading much easier.

No it wont . I promise . Huge cases always seem like a good idea because you see all the big dogs with them . BUT , the first time you hit a venue with a stage thats over a foot high that doesnt have a ramp , your whole band is going to hate you for having to move that big bastard. Get individual hard shell cases for your guitars. They will protect your guitars from the elements a lot better than a homemade trunk. In certain parts of the country , humidity will be drastically different than what your guitars are used to . If theyre in their own cases , good cases , youll be much better off.

• Members

Hardshell cases seem way safer, and much less of a pain in the ass. Oh, and not to mention way cheaper. Seriously, I don't see why anyone would get those vault cases unless they have roadies doing all of their work for them and they wanna look cool or something. Do you really even need a billion guitars on the road anyway?

• Members

No it wont . I promise . Huge cases always seem like a good idea because you see all the big dogs with them . BUT , the first time you hit a venue with a stage thats over a foot high that doesnt have a ramp , your whole band is going to hate you for having to move that big bastard. Get individual hard shell cases for your guitars. They will protect your guitars from the elements a lot better than a homemade trunk. In certain parts of the country , humidity will be drastically different than what your guitars are used to . If theyre in their own cases , good cases , youll be much better off.

This... 100 times, this.

• Members

Hardshell cases seem way safer, and much less of a pain in the ass. Oh, and not to mention way cheaper. Seriously, I don't see why anyone would get those vault cases unless they have roadies doing all of their work for them and they wanna look cool or something. Do you really even need a billion guitars on the road anyway?

3 different tunings, so 1 guitar and a backup for every tuning.

Good hard cases for 6 guitars= $400-$700

Multi guitar stand for 6 guitars= $150-$250

So i'm looking at $550-$950 for cases and stands.

It takes up a lot more space in the trailer, and isnt on casters. 6 guitars and a multi-stand takes 4 trips to load in. A rolling guitar case would take 2 people 1 trip.

Separate hard cases would protect a guitar no better than a sealed road case, I could even put a small humidifier in the case if need be.

I had this same argument before we built a drum road case that holds everything as opposed to separate drum cases. Since we started using the single case, it takes half as long to load and setup, and the drums dont roll around in the trailer.

• 9 years later...
  • Members

I built 2      our band doesn't get out much    singer is a doctor with little kids       one holds 5    the other holds 9     ive been using the one that holds 5 more     2 les pauls    Gibson 1275 doubleneck    6 and 12 acoustic          the main reason I built it is    everything is on wheels     just roll it in   open it up     ready to go    main issue is theft       someone might walk away with an individual guitar      but you need a truck or trailer to take something this big       both cases have a top drawer     the 9 case  has space on each side of the drawer for the 12 string acoustic   and the doubleneck   to fit vertically      the 5 case I built after the 9  is taller   and accepts the longer neck stuff       theyre made of 3/4 plywood     really strong     we have warehouse sized rehearsal space with a stage     use a forklift to move equipment from stage and oad into trailer    back door of trailer is a ramp         the drums are mounted on a Gibraltar rack   which is bolted to a rolling drum riser that folds up so its about 30 inches wide to go through doors easily    the kick mounteds  mics    stands   all stay in place       the drummer and I set up the entire band at a gig where we could back the trailer to the stage area in 15 minutes    PA  everything     with a cd playing to test     and the only thing that was lifted was the 4 JBL PRX 635 cabs onto the subs     keys are in rolling case    mixer    x32     and all gear is in one rolling case     weighs 400 pounds     no one stealin that        and with all the gigs weve done   only one had a step to load in    also have a folding handicapped ramp in trailer just in case     main thing   no lifting     all rolling    fast setup and breakdown       who would rather move stuff than play    theyre not mutually exclusive      but we have it down to a system that minimizes all the heavy work

• Moderators

When I was in the road case biz [25 years ago], we built many multi-guitar cases for the 'big boyz'. To do it right is not going to be inexpensive. I realize I'm too late to help the OP, but I hope he found a reputable case builder to make one for him...and not Calzone...

Archived