A question for guys in bands...

Ovid9

• Members

Hard to say, as our guitarist sings and I do backups. We invested in a used PA, and even used you can plan on spending almost $1k. We have a 450 watt system, but id be much happier with the 1000 watt system we rented once.

$300-$500 for speakers

$100 for stands

$130 for mic/ cable

$350-$500 for a decent head(or whatever you call it)

A 120 watt system just wont cut it. You need at least 450 watts to come out loud than the band

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would say, If your band has a lock-up rehearsal facility, then in an ideal world the vocalist should have an appropriate PA system for his/herself, with enough inputs and power for other members to plug THEIR OWN mics into for backing vocals etc. Obviously if you are rehearsing in fully or semi-equipped hourly rooms....then they should WANT to have their own mic..if only for Hygene reasons.

Having never played a venue myself where we/I've been required to supply FOH sound re-inforcement....then I don't know how that would go down.

I've been in bands in the past where I've supplied EVERYTHING...including transport, and I don't really think that was fair on me, and wouldn't consider it fair on anyone else either. Sadly most singers/vocalists I know or have worked with in the past own NOTHING whatsoever by way of equipment....NOTHING!

• Members

The way I see it:

A small PA for practices, where nothing but vocals get miked is the singer's responsibility.

A larger PA for gigs is the band's responsibility.

As a singer, you should have at least a small set up that is loud enough to be heard over guitar amps. Something like this would be enough:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=XP800L-PM10&cid=101

That's pretty much the same cost as a regular guitar amp (cheaper than many amps) and should get you through practices and stuff.

If the band decides to tour with their whole PA later, that would be a band expense and you can either rent or buy, depending on how often you play venues that need you to bring your own PA.

• Members
If all your singer does is sing, what gear do you expect the singer to have?

1) Mic and chord

2-x) ??????

Yes, this is an utterly random question, but inquiring minds want to know.
:snax:

I expect the singer to have his own mic and pa. If a drummer, guitarist, and bassist have to have their own gear to be heard. Then it's not different for a singer that is serious about his or her craft.

• Members
Small PA is a must.
:thu:

Also, I will not let my singer near his mic unless he brings this with him. Instant Awesome. Every singer MUST have one.

VTCreateXT.jpg

All I want to know is can it make me sound like a robot? :D

By "small PA" would a 200 watt Peavey PA work for practices? I suppose it varies depending on what volume a band likes to practice at, but I ask because there's one for sale on my local CL. :lol:

This all may be rendered moot, but its good stuff to know anyway.

• Members

All I want to know is can it make me sound like a robot?
:D

By "small PA" would a 200 watt Peavey PA work for practices? I suppose it varies depending on what volume a band likes to practice at, but I ask because there's one for sale on my local CL.
:lol:

a 200w PA head should be fine for practice with most bands.

• Members

By "small PA" would a 200 watt Peavey PA work for practices?
I suppose it varies depending on what volume a band likes to practice at, but I ask because there's one for sale on my local CL.

It all depends on how loud you rehearse... We use a Yamaha Stagepas 500W in rehearsals, and play loud as hell....

StagePas500.jpg

• Members

By "small PA" would a 200 watt Peavey PA work for practices? I suppose it varies depending on what volume a band likes to practice at, but I ask because there's one for sale on my local CL.

Not in a metal band. You'll struggle with anything less than 350.

• Members

The singer should have a mic and a PA loud enough for rehearsal. Nothing else is really needed on a personal level. If you are in a band that needs to drag around a PA to every show (i.e. most party and cover bands), that counts as band gear in my opinion. More than likely if you are using a PA bigger live than whats needed for rehearsal, you won't be using that setup in the practice room anyway.

My band plays mostly original venues and most of those places have an in-house PA. If we play a venue without a house PA and our singer's PA can't handle it, we rent one. If his PA can't handle the size of the venue, then none of our gear could either, so that then becomes an issue for the entire band.

• Members

Allow me to echo what Sixto said.

And {censored}ing Loop, the man you love to hate for the GAS he induces:mad: I will probably be calling you about that effects box.

I used to be super hardcore in demanding a singer at least own a smallish PA for rehearsals. I have turned away several singers who came to adutition with just a mic. Now that I am older and not really concerned with "making it" and own a PA, I am not as demanding. I would really go out of my way to accomodate a really great singer who was really committed to the band. Not so much, if I think I sing as well or better. That said, all the really good singers I have worked with take their role in the band seriously and have outstanding PAs.

edit: My PA is 400 watts per side, 8 channels, Left and right Mains and floor monitors. Gets the job done for my metal band. The floor monitors are not to be discounted. Since I got those, the mains have kinda become the drummer's monitors.

• Members

Mic, PA, speakers and all the cables.

You could always sing through a guitar amp. Just get a cheap mic and a cable. My old singer did this for years and it worked fine..Might not have sounded the greatest but its better than nothing.

I don't agree with the band investing in it's own pa. Myself being a guitarist its hard enough for me to get cash for my own gear let alone buy gear for someone else to use. Plus bands are like girlfriends..They come and they go.

• Members

I will seriously recommend against any PA the band uses, even if vocal only. I own a PA, my drummer gets a yamaha 1-15 wedge with his own mix, and 1 channel of a QSC RMX2450. (450 watts RMS). At first it was no problem, then he began to play louder and louder. Now I need to meticulously eq that wedge to eek out another 4 or 5 db. while it sits right at the edge of feedback. He would like it to be louder. I no longer require a monitor as his is loud enough for me as well. My next move is giving him another wedge with its own mix in hopes to get another 6-9 db. to him. As the owner of the PA, I am responsible for ever changing levels in the monitor mixes, any buzzes or feedback originating anywhere, including guitar amps/processors, I am responsible for all mic cord issues and troubleshooting of any random noise that occurs. It is a huge PITA. I would seriously buy 1 powered speaker with a mic input, perhaps a box like Loop put up to sweeten it a bit, 1 mic and 1 stand. Keep it in good shape and tuned well, keep a spare cord etc. Owning a PA has sucked the joy out of playing for me, and if you start down that road, you may enjoy it, and you may not. I am not particular about what I hear, I keep my amp low enough so I can barely hear it, and just need to hear the rhythm guitar player, (the drums are plenty loud) Hell I have played a set not even hearing myself before, (house system, soundman issues) not fun, but it can be done. Some people get very picky and ask for 1-2db tweaks song to song.

• Members

It always amazes me how you Americans who are in band always seem to need your own PA? Honestly...If any of my bands gets booked for a venue that has no in house PA, then that usually means its a vey large, multi purpose hall or a theatre of some kind. The PA is the responsibility of the promoter organising the event.

For example: We've played Alexandra Palace twice, Braehead Arena, which I believe is usually an ice hocky arena??? various large halls and theatres...We couldn't physically bring a PA large enough with us for these kind of places, let alone afford to own one of sufficiant size and standard to fill what....an 8K capacity arena such as Braehead.....

We've been the only live act on these big bills I'm talking about here....some as parts of huge rave/dance events, some as nights where we are the main attraction. Either way.....In the UK it's only say....Wedding venues (which could be absolutely ANYWHERE) where a scenario where you'd NEED to bring a gigging sized PA system...and none of my bands are in that market with what we do.

• Members
Oh, and be expected to get stuck running the merch table 90% of the time.

Actually.....MORE singers should do that. You'll sell more stock that way. People will usually come and talk to band members after shows (if they liked it that is). Obviously this isn't going to happen if you're too up your own arse to come out of the dressing room. The places you're most likely to see band members before or after the show is the Bar, or the merch table. Who do people most want to speak to? Singer.

So...if people go to the merch table, and the singer's there, they're more likely to stick around to talk to them, and in turn are more likely to want to buy something....or can even be talked into buying something if the singer is a good salesman. Of course...if he/she is a good frontperson....then they will have good raport and communication skills....traits of a good salesman.....so your profits increase. This is a fact.

OK...this will work with any band member...but it's proven to be more successful when the frontman is doing it.

And remember folks....Merch sales is probably THE most important part of your shows/tours....that's your bread and butter and sometimes the difference between having enough fuel to get to the next town...or not!

• Members

It always amazes me how you Americans who are in band always seem to need your own PA? Honestly...If any of my bands gets booked for a venue that has no in house PA, then that usually means its a vey large, multi purpose hall or a theatre of some kind. The PA is the responsibility of the promoter organising the event.

For example: We've played Alexandra Palace twice, Braehead Arena, which I believe is usually an ice hocky arena??? various large halls and theatres...We couldn't physically bring a PA large enough with us for these kind of places, let alone afford to own one of sufficiant size and standard to fill what....an 8K capacity arena such as Braehead.....

We've been the only live act on these big bills I'm talking about here....some as parts of huge rave/dance events, some as nights where we are the main attraction. Either way.....In the UK it's only say....Wedding venues (which could be absolutely ANYWHERE) where a scenario where you'd NEED to bring a gigging sized PA system...and none of my bands are in that market with what we do.

Interesting. So is the harcore-punk scene so big in Britain that actually thousands of people come to shows or what? Or was that with a band that you don't have listed in your sig?

• Members

Nah the BIIIG stuff is with a tribute band (Jilted Generation in my sig...Myspace is a bit outdated...search on Facebook). Although the same applies to the Punk/Harcore bands I play in....we never play places where there's no in house system...except for maybe Blackpool Wintergardens for the Rebellion Festival, where again...PA...and actually all the backline is hired in by Daz and Jennie who put the festival on.

• Members

LOL, I only checked out the first two...

Yeah, seems even the crustiest squats have a PA these days. I was just surprised by the numbers. I thought the difference between the continent and UK can't be that big that over there you'd have hc/punk shows in 8k venues :D

Archived