Volume pedals!

mparsons

• Members

I'm looking to get one, since I love the way my rig sounds for cleans with the volume low, but I also want to use a volume pedal to achieve this, since a lot of these parts require me to play while I am adjusting the tone.

I'm really interested in the Morley volume pedals, especially the Volume Plus with a minimum setting. Anyone have any experience with these, or others?

• Members

I have two different volume pedals on my board. I use an Ernie Ball 6166 for swells. And I have an Electro-Harmonix Signal Pad for instant volume drop. It's a great thing for a single channel amp like my Soldano Avenger and my Marshall SLX

• Members

i've owned 3 EB Volumes and have a very love/hate relationship with them.

They do their job, they're built like tanks, and lots of people love them. personally, I don't like the way the volume reacts in relation to the pedal's travel, if that makes any sense. if i turn my guitar's volume knob to 5, i get a nice starting-to-break-up cleanish sound which works great. if i set my EB Jr. to halfway, i get some super-clean plinky sounds, it needs to be more like 80% towards the toe to get the same sound as the knob at 5. I find it similar for swells, most of the gain comes back very quickly when you get more towards the toe.

all that said, i haven't found a volume that doesn't have the same issues, nor have i really bothered to try. I keep going back to the EBs (like i said, i'm on my third) because they do it well enough.

• Members

Same here. I just use the damn thing for a floor mute and router to my tuner.

the tuner out is half the reason i use them, still. i have the controls on my guitars set so i can mute with a switch, but i love being able to jump on the heel end, and tune silently.

• Members
A 250K volume pedal (often referred to as "passive", or "high impedance", after the signal they are intended to work with) will work well both straight from the guitar or after a buffered pedal. Some report a more abrupt sweep (more on/off than a linear motion) with a 250K pedal after a buffer, but I haven't noticed that myself.

A 25K volume pedal (often referred to as "active", or "low impedance", again after the type of signal they are designed for) will not work well at all straight from the guitar - unless you have active pickups, of course. The 25K pedal is designed to sit after a buffer (so the signal feeding it is low impedance). In that position, it will have a slightly smoother/more linear sweep compared to the 250K. However, if you plug the guitar (with passive pickups) straight into it, it will cut a good-sized chunk out of the signal, especially in the treble range.

Then there are the truly active volume pedals - Morley, Goodrich and Visual Sound (among others) all have such models. These have buffer stages inside, and will therefore work well straight from the guitar, while providing the same smooth sweep as the 25K version does when in its proper environment.

If I were only allowed to have one (non-buffered) volume pedal, I'd go for the 250K version - that way, I could use it both first in line or after active/buffered pedals. The 25K version is more specialized, and while it may do
that
job (controlling volume on a low impedance signal) slightly better, that also makes it less versatile, IMO.

/Andreas

• Members

i've owned 3 EB Volumes and have a very love/hate relationship with them.

They do their job, they're built like tanks, and lots of people love them. personally, I don't like the way the volume reacts in relation to the pedal's travel, if that makes any sense. if i turn my guitar's volume knob to 5, i get a nice starting-to-break-up cleanish sound which works great. if i set my EB Jr. to halfway, i get some super-clean plinky sounds, it needs to be more like 80% towards the toe to get the same sound as the knob at 5. I find it similar for swells, most of the gain comes back very quickly when you get more towards the toe.

all that said, i haven't found a volume that doesn't have the same issues, nor have i really bothered to try. I keep going back to the EBs (like i said, i'm on my third) because they do it well enough.

You know they've got a switch on the inside of them that lets you switch from a linear to progressive style taper? one way is a very straight pure volume cut and the other mode is more of an intensity cut that retains most of your decible output until the very last second which is what I use. It allows for very cool violin like fade effects.

• Members

I like my Morley volume pedal because it has the Min. Volume pot - that's super useful for setting up a cleaner rhythm sound and getting smooth, quick, and repeatable changes on the fly. If you don't run a buffer before it, though, you're going to get treble loss as you roll down the volume - but that's par for the course on any passive volume pedal. It's just something you can't get around.

Archived