Ever notice some tube amps of the exact same make/model sound different?

S540

• Members

why is this? I have even been told sometimes they change from different times of use

I once played a mesa single rec and thought the eq was sadly ineffective, and then played a different one and it was a whole different creature.

• Members

why is this? I have even been told sometimes they change from different times of use

I once played a mesa single rec and thought the eq was sadly ineffective, and then played a different one and it was a whole different creature.

I know what you mean. I just bought a Single rec and it sounded good boosted for the first three weeks and sometimes as I played it would sound not as good then go back to sounding good a few minutes later- but it didn't sound great. This past week the amp started sounding way better -more growl and just noticeably meaner (I am not good at describing sound). Night and day difference.

I played the amp earlier this evening and it sounded fantastic and after 30 minutes it started to sound different- a little more gainy and brighter with a bit of fizz (like the treb was up too high). I believe it has a bad preamp tube in it or one that is going bad- I hope that's what it is anyways.

As far as power tubes in a single rec-A guy with a single rect told me he would go to the Hollywood store with his amp and they would let him try different sets of power tubes until they found the ones that sounded best. Being a cathode bias- this makes sense.

• Members

It is the tubes, the electric current flucuations coming from the wall socket, and the plus/minus tolerance factor of the parts used in the amp. This is why each amp may sound slightly different of the same model. Marshalls are a good example of this.

I'm not referring to slightly different construction parts on the boards in the amp, but the exact same amps built at approximately the same time.

The reason guitars all sound different of the same exact model is that wood is different from one piece to the next of the same wood used in building two identical guitars, as are the pickups, caps, etc.

• Members

electronic parts aren't always manufactured to the same spec either. it's just like anything else made of lots of parts-- some might be off a bit from where they should be unless they individually meter every one.. and big amp companies are busting stuff out by the thousands-- not like little builders who might have the time to do that. it's kinda remarkable how well they do making production amps anyhow-- but drifty parts (including tubes) probably explain a lot of it.

• Members

Then there are different circuit revisions: just because some amps happen to look the same and have the same model name doesn't mean they're identical; a different revision may have drastic circuit changes. Some Marshall amps are a good example of this (e.g. 2205 from early 1980's versus 2205 from mid 1980's). Some Gibson amps of the 1960's were built so randomly that you may even have hard time finding two identical specimen of the same model.

I know it's not a tube amp but take Roland JC-120 for example: This amp was introduced in 1973 and since then it has appeared in at least eight different circuit revisions, at least four or five of them being totally different from one another. Cosmetically they may look like the same amp but internally they can be miles apart. So, don't be fooled to think that just because two amps are of same model they must be identical and comparable.

• Members

This is why I tried to convert to a modeling rig... didn't work.

I was gonna say, this is why modeling doesn't work for some people. Some folks are looking for it to sound EXACTLY like the real thing they had, but the "real thing" may have sounded different than another 'real thing', and so on . . .

• Members

It's primarily the tolerances of the components. Most components used in amps have a 5% tolerance so the actual value is within 5% of the rated value. That may not seem like much, but when you're running a signal through a path with tens or hundreds of components then you can get dramatically different results. Nicer amps usually use 1% components in the signal path to reduce this, but even that is enough to cause variance.

• Members

It is the tubes, the electric current flucuations coming from the wall socket, and the plus/minus tolerance factor of the parts used in the amp. This is why each amp may sound slightly different of the same model. Marshalls are a good example of this.

I'm not referring to slightly different construction parts on the boards in the amp, but the exact same amps built at approximately the same time.

The reason guitars all sound different of the same exact model is that wood is different from one piece to the next of the same wood used in building two identical guitars, as are the pickups, caps, etc.

This.

Archived