Marshall Dsl 50 vs. 100 for my situation???

Dyer2394

• Members

I've easily read over 20 posts on this forum and marshall forums about this amp and Also watched OVER 5 pages of Dsl 50s and 100s on youtube. I'm pretty certain it's the next head I would love to purchase (the clean seems a little..crappy, but besides that, sounds great). I've got a 4x12 running 4 G12-P80s and I play at church. We mic our amps and run them through the system..this is where my question will come in. I usually don't have to crank my Peavey vk100 over about 4 or 5 at max. At that level, or even 3, would the tubes of the 100 be getting even close to getting what they should? That enough to "make them sweat?" haha. Or, would I be better off going with a 50? Only thing is, I've heard the 100 is more "ballsy" compared to the 50. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, guys.

Matt

• Members

the dsl's powersection doesnt start to kick in until you get the volume up past 10:00 and that is pleanty of volume....

the 100 has a bit more lowend than the 50 but the 50 is a little tighter...either amp would be fine

• Members

I have one that's a 100,but two tubes went out and I ran it for a while to see if there was any noticeable difference. The only difference-it's louder with all the tubes working perfectly. It needs to have the tubes replaced anyway,after I left it on while I went on vacation.It took 4 years for the tubes to go,however.

• Members

Yeah 100 watts would be way overkill in that situation. IMO 15-30 watts is ideal for a situation like that. You might not even really get the 50 watter into its sweet spot but it should still sound great. The only reason for 100 watts or more is for huge clean sounds or to keep ultra gained out tones from having even less definition IMO.

• Members

Both amps may be to much. I alway's felt the 50w was maybe a little bit warmer than the 100w, but once you get the sweet spot on the 100w it will sound just like a good Marshall should, nice loud and ballsy. Like others have said the amp doesn't wake up until about volume 4-6. As far as the clean channel goes, IMO it's the best clean channel ever put on a Marshall, and perfect for using OD pedals to drive your amp. The downside to the amp is the shared eq and channel switching, which in a live situation could be a problem if you switch channels often and prefer them dialed in differently.

• Members

I've easily read over 20 posts on this forum and marshall forums about this amp and Also watched OVER 5 pages of Dsl 50s and 100s on youtube. I'm pretty certain it's the next head I would love to purchase (the clean seems a little..crappy, but besides that, sounds great). I've got a 4x12 running 4 G12-P80s and I play at church. We mic our amps and run them through the system..this is where my question will come in. I usually don't have to crank my Peavey vk100 over about 4 or 5 at max. At that level, or even 3, would the tubes of the 100 be getting even close to getting what they should? That enough to "make them sweat?" haha. Or, would I be better off going with a 50? Only thing is, I've heard the 100 is more "ballsy" compared to the 50. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, guys.

Matt

I disagree. I've owned both the 50 and 100....the 50 had more ballz than the 100. The clean channel is ok, but the problem with the DSL is it's hard to dial in a clean AND crunch tone without a mod.

• Members

I disagree. I've owned both the 50 and 100....the 50 had more ballz than the 100. The clean channel is ok, but the problem with the DSL is it's hard to dial in a clean AND crunch tone without a mod.

I have a 50 watt and have never had any problems dialing in a great clean sound. I have always been impressed with the clean on the DSL at how "clean" it can get (if that's what you want). I have a JVM as well. The JVM is extremely versatile, but I thnk the DSL has a better clean. The DSL is a LOUD amp. It's just voiced like that, I wouldn't worry about the 50 not being enough. And as mentioned, you'll save some money when it comes time to retube.

• Members

Both will do a good job. And as you won't be crancking it, I don't think you would notice any difference between both. I think the clean channel is really decent on these amps. Learn to roll your guitar volume.

The 2000 serie is a good all around amp and with some luck, you can find them used at a real good price. Keep us posted.

• Members

There's been countless threads on the Marshall DSL 50 & 100, whether its great or sucks, this and that. I have the DSL 100, which serves well for my needs. I bought mine used for $450 and its is in excellent condition. I biased the power tubes to 80 MA per side and I get a great, punchy fat sound. I look at the DSL series as a great deal to pick up on the used market. Not everyone can shell out $1200-2000 for the latest, greatest Marshall like the JVM, VM or AFD models, never mind the classic series reissues and original vintage amps like the JMP, JTM and JCM 800 & 900 series. Basically there are fans of every model Marshall has manufactured since there existence as a company in the early 1960s.

• Members

Seems like most all are saying 50-100 is just ridiculous to use. Let me throw another thing out there then. My buddy runs a peavey classic 50 through a 1960 cab and sounds absolutely beautiful. From what I've heard, the difference in the 50 and 100 is really just more head room on the 100. Like I said, my vk is 100 watts and I haven't really seen it as "overkill". I'll be using this for not only church but Fine Arts Nationals which means I'll be playing in some pretty huge rooms and you just never know what is gonna go wrong with the system. Which is why I see no harm in keeping the 4x12 and all for this stuff.

So, here is the restated question after you read what I just said: At around 3-5 on the volume, would it be smarter to go with the 50? I could careless if I save 100 or 200 bucks. I'm looking for something I'll stick with. Seems like with the 50 I'll be able to get more from the tubes at 3-5. On the other hand, EVERYONE I've asked has said with the 100s it's more ballsy and is thicker. More low end? Thoughts on that? I truly apologize if I sound like a moron. I'm speaking off of what I've read. I've put in TONS of research and just wanna get some last minute thoughts before I buy my next amp.

• Members

I've never known any 50-watt amp to have more balls than its 100-watt counterpart. It's a transformer thing, and the reason why lower-wattage amps sound small.

• Members

one thing about marshalls is they are loud ass amps even when dialed under half.the trick is to get the poweramp to kick in and in most cases the master is above 33%(loud)....

also a 50 watt marshall really is not any louder than a 100 watt but as stated the 100 watt will have more girth to the tone

• Members

I think you need a Carvin x60b, 60 watts and it actually has a good clean channel and has plenty of gain. It also has a 50% power setting which brings it down to 30 watts. They also tend to go for MUCH cheaper then what a dsl goes for...

I wonder if anyone on here is selling one :idea:

• Members

The 100 doesn't sound good until the volume in on 4 which is enough to make a small dog or cat explode if it's in the same room as you. If put mics on your amps at practice then there is no need for the 100. I've had both. But honestly in my situation we don't mic our gear...I couldn't hear the 50 clearly over our drummer. Our drummer plays hard and loud as {censored} though. I though both of them had equal tone...The hundred was just louder. And I know you said that you don't like the clean channel...But myself I personally love the DSL cleans.

• 9 years later...
  • Members

Hi it is 2020 and all the years I have had my dsl 100 head and 4-12 1960 bottom for close to 20 years -still works fine   Believe it or not -never changed tubes. For the one or two outdoor gigs a year usually on one of those show mobiles  I  do  not miked -do I need to keep this amp  with its 4-12 cabinet like furniture in my bedroom ? 

• Moderators
On 12/13/2020 at 6:51 AM, Monoca said:

Hi it is 2020 and all the years I have had my dsl 100 head and 4-12 1960 bottom for close to 20 years -still works fine   Believe it or not -never changed tubes. For the one or two outdoor gigs a year usually on one of those show mobiles  I  do  not miked -do I need to keep this amp  with its 4-12 cabinet like furniture in my bedroom ?

I had my SL100 head and 1960A cabinet in my living room for many years...in a second floor apartment with no elevator.:wave:

Ya gotta buy into the whole r'n'r lifestyle if you're gonna use a half stack....

Archived