NAD Mesa Boogie Mark IV (Question about fan)

Tommy Horrible

• Members

So I got my Mark IV in the mail. The dude who sold it me packed it as bad as I have ever seen a amp packed. He basically just threw it in a small box packed said box with newspaper and called it a day. Luckily the amp amp seems to be working fine, and has no damage that I can tell. All the tubes were comming out though, the PI tube had come completely out and I had to fish it out of the box and put it back in. Also the internal fan is mounted to anything I can tell, it just moves around. Is that normal?

So far I have only messed with the lead channel at low volume but it was suprisingly easy to dial in a great tone. I love it so far. Not nearly as high gain as I though it would. It's not even in the same neighborhood as the JVM or 6505, but that's a good thing IMO. It's a pretty dark and very smooth, and clear. It seems like it's really going to sound good with my bands and give me plenty of chunk and clarity, while being extremely easy to solo on with smooth sustain and feel. So far this thing gets a A+ from me.

Anyway PiX! ( and someone tell me about that fan, that seems wierd)

IMG_1339.jpg

IMG_1340.jpg

IMG_1341.jpg

• Members

Not enough gain? WTF. Remember bro, the Treble and Midrange knobs on Mesa amps have a pronounced effect on the overall level of gain available. Also you have the push/pull pots that effect eq and overall gain.

Play with it. It's like learning how to diddle a new GF to really get her going. The first couple times she might be meh, but if you haven't got her climbing the walls by the third try, then you're doing it wrong.

• Members

Not enough gain?
WTF. Remember bro, the Treble and Midrange knobs on Mesa amps have a pronounced effect on the overall level of gain available. Also you have the push/pull pots that effect eq and overall gain.

Play with it. It's like learning how to diddle a new GF to really get her going. The first couple times she might be meh, but if you haven't got her climbing the walls by the third try, then you're doing it wrong.

You read me wrong. It's got PLENTY OF GAIN for what I need. I'm just saying it doesn't have nearly as much as the JVM or 6505 I have that have massive mega over kill gain. I'm glad it has alot less, I think it sounds great. I read the manual a couple times before I got and was able to dial it in to sound pretty much exactly like I wanted it to right of the bat.

• Members

Hm I'm not sure what you are trying to ask about the fan. Are you saying it's not mounted to the front bracket?

I don't even see a front bracket it just slides around on top the reverb tank. It's completly free to move where ever I put it, it's not held down at all. You can see in the third pick I just stuck it there pointing up.

• Members

I don't even see a front bracket it just slides around on top the reverb tank. It's completly free to move where ever I put it, it's not held down at all. You can see in the third pick I just stuck it there pointing up.

I can't tell from your pic, but I think can just barely see the silver bracket where the fan should be mounted. To answer your question, no it's not normal for the fan to be flopping around in there.

• Members

I can't tell from your pic, but I think can just barely see the silver bracket where the fan should be mounted. To answer your question, no it's not normal for the fan to be flopping around in there.

Oh, Ok. I try to get it mounted down then. Like said, alot of tubes were almost rattled out thier sockets, and one actually was, maybe it just came loose, I found a extra screw I assumed went to the fan in the box.

• Members

You read me wrong. It's got PLENTY OF GAIN for what I need. I'm just saying it doesn't have nearly as much as the JVM or 6505 I have that have massive mega over kill gain. I'm glad it has alot less, I think it sounds great. I read the manual a couple times before I got and was able to dial it in to sound pretty much exactly like I wanted it to right of the bat.

My bad. Most excellent news, HNAD!

• Members

The Mark Series amps (at least the IV and V) are really smooth and articulate. My old Mark III (Red stripe) was a bit more aggressive and less polished. The amp can be dialed in several ways to impact how it sounds or feels.

The one thing that's awesome about the Marks is you get the feel and squish you'd normally get from a Marshall with the gain cranked and it boosted but with the mark you don't actually have that much gain. The amp just responds as if you do. You'll always hear everything (and so will the audience lol) but for me no other amp is as easy to dial in a sound that makes me play my best.

It's been years since I owned a Mark IV but my Mark V can be summed up like this... Preamp side you have gain = Saturation, Treble = Gain, midrange = Feel, bass = Flub and Presence = Harmonics. You rob the front end of the tonestack of bass by running the bass knob almost all the way off and then add the bass back in with the graphic. The Graphic EQ = Thump and Balls.

My VHT (Freyette) D-60 was possibly a bit more percussive but nowhere near as squishy and easy to play. Other than that it's tough to find an amp with the articulation and thump a Mark will get you while still cutting through any mix.

All IMO of course :)

EDIT: You also will get stunning results from running relatively low output pickups. My ASAT has BKP Mules which are only like 7-8k and it sounds much more 3D and harmonically complex than similarly constructed guitars with really hot pickups. Generally, the hotter you wind a pickup the more high end you lose.

• Members

The Mark Series amps (at least the IV and V) are really smooth and articulate. My old Mark III (Red stripe) was a bit more aggressive and less polished. The amp can be dialed in several ways to impact how it sounds or feels.

The one thing that's awesome about the Marks is you get the feel and squish you'd normally get from a Marshall with the gain cranked and it boosted but with the mark you don't actually have that much gain. The amp just responds as if you do. You'll always hear everything (and so will the audience lol) but for me no other amp is as easy to dial in a sound that makes me play my best.

It's been years since I owned a Mark IV but my Mark V can be summed up like this... Preamp side you have gain = Saturation, Treble = Gain, midrange = Feel, bass = Flub and Presence = Harmonics. You rob the front end of the tonestack of bass by running the bass knob almost all the way off and then add the bass back in with the graphic. The Graphic EQ = Thump and Balls.

My VHT (Freyette) D-60 was possibly a bit more percussive but nowhere near as squishy and easy to play. Other than that it's tough to find an amp with the articulation and thump a Mark will get you while still cutting through any mix.

All IMO of course
:)

EDIT: You also will get stunning results from running relatively low output pickups. My ASAT has BKP Mules which are only like 7-8k and it sounds much more 3D and harmonically complex than similarly constructed guitars with really hot pickups. Generally, the hotter you wind a pickup the more high end you lose.

Good to know. I'm very impressed so far by the Mark IV. My JVM and Quickrod are like that too, they love low output pickups the best, especially the Quickrod, sounds great with 57 classics.

• Members

I feel like all of the Mark amps are excessively mid rangey. I like mid range, but they just seem to all honk. People get bashed for cutting some mids out on the GEQ but you pretty much need to in order to get rid of the honk.

Unless you're playing in a Foghat tribute band I guess.

• Members

LISTEN!!!!!

Get some new preamp tubes. Just do it.

Mesas always have waaaaaay too much gain.

When I got my Stiletto, it had almost no gain. I had it on channel 2 in the Fluid Drive mode (highest possible gain setting) and it was like modded tube screamer gain levels. Very low gain. We're talkin about the gain knob dimed.

I swapped a couple preamp tubes and now I have to keep the gain at around 9 o clock or it's way overkill, and I'm a pretty high gain player... just not quite metal. Modern punk type gain levels.

I'm not a Mark series expert but I have had three Mesas and on all of them, 12'o'clock has been about the most gain I could ever use. They are usually gain monsters.

• Members

I love my Mark IV too.

the gain structure is somwhat different than say that of a 5150 (which I also have sittiing right next to the IV)

but different in a great way.

Best lead amp I've ever owned, the thing just sings.

• Members

I feel like all of the Mark amps are excessively mid rangey. I like mid range, but they just seem to all honk. People get bashed for cutting some mids out on the GEQ but you pretty much need to in order to get rid of the honk.

Unless you're playing in a Foghat tribute band I guess.

Seems to me the 750 slider is pretty powerfull. If you want to make this amp scooped, just dip that one, it will be thin as {censored} lol. But yeah, I think that's why I like it, it's very mid-rangy. Big, smooth, clear and chunky. It's definetly a dial with ears not your eye's type thing. I think I have the treble around 7 or 8, which would kill you on my Marshall's but is just right on my Mark IV.

• Members

I love my Mark IV too.

the gain structure is somwhat different than say that of a 5150 (which I also have sittiing right next to the IV)

but different in a great way.

Best lead amp I've ever owned, the thing just sings.

I don't really dig my 6505. Too much gain, to much ear fatigue. My 6505 has more gain with the pre gain 8:00 than my 2203 with gain maxed slammed in the face with a Zack wylde OD with level maxed and the drive at 9:00.

• Members

HNAD man, I loved my old Boogie Mark IVs. They have enough gain and versatility to work in most styles and they have that tightness which allows them to cut through the mix. The lead tone, especially with a little reverb and delay, is to die for. :love::thu:

Archived