Orange amps

Say Ocean

• Members

So here's the thing, I've only ever played an orange a couple times, and both times were at store volume. I have, however, heard plenty of clips I like, lots of bands I like use them, the way people describe their sound is awesome to me, and I also saw a friend play plenty of shows with a thunderverb and it sounded awesome. My question is, what should I look into? I play rock/progressive stuff and I love my marshalls, but I also want something thicker and a bit darker, maybe somewhere in between a DSL or JMP and a Recto. Which ones should I go try out :idk:

• Members

rockerverb 50 if you want a clean channel, or the thunderverb 50 if cleanish works for you. The ad30 is kind of like a nmv marshall, but at a slightly more reasonable volume. more low mids on that one as well, instead of the dry marshall midrange. it sounds british but feels spongy like an old Fender.

but yeah, definitely check out the RV50 or the TV50 for high gain built in, or the AD30 if you don't mind using volume and pedals.

• Members

Jimmy Page and several other big artists use the ad30, so it's a crazy bargain. the new 2 channel ones are $1600 or so, but the old 1 channels look so much cooler. they supposedly sound better, but I've never a/b'd them. :lol:

Here's mine, complete with cig burn on top (prev owner)

newstuff016.jpg

fwiw, the tv50 and rv50 are high gain, but it's a nice pleasing vintage kinda gain. hard to describe.

• Members

they take pedals very very well.

I hated them for the longest time. I had played the combo with v30's which made it sound boxy, directional and muffled for lack of better words. I got the head to try because it was on ebay and cheap. had several previous revelations regarding oranges, specifically hating them through v30s and loving them through g12t75's. so gave the ad30 another shot and sure enough it's a bad ass little rig. it keeps up with the Jubilee like a mofo. something about where it sits in the band, but it's every bit as powerful. :idk:

• Members
they take pedals very very well.

I hated them for the longest time. I had played the combo with v30's which made it sound boxy, directional and muffled for lack of better words. I got the head to try because it was on ebay and cheap. had several previous revelations regarding oranges, specifically hating them through v30s and loving them through g12t75's. so gave the ad30 another shot and sure enough it's a bad ass little rig. it keeps up with the Jubilee like a mofo. something about where it sits in the band, but it's every bit as powerful.
:idk:

Yea dude. I used my rocker 30 with my 1960 cab with 75's. Wow, awesome tone! Loved it with 75's!!

• Members

I replied suggesting the TH50 based on your comments in your OP -- particularly the point about a darker Marshall sound. I'm a big AD30 fan -- I have an AD30HTC that I'll never let go, but I also have the TH50.

I think the TH50 may work better for your needs but you never no until you actually play them. I really can't see myself parting with either of those amps. Based on your OP, I'd say the Channel A on the TH50 is going to be where it is at for you. I pretty much live on that channel. I also have found Channel A to be cool with pedals. The loop has been pretty good for me too.

Regarding fizzy high gain, you can get some horrid tones on Channel B if you squish it down with the attenuator and set the shape knob for an extreme scoop. I really don't spend much time on this channel.

• Members

its threads like this that are making me kick myself for not ahving a tv50 youtube demo done yet. If you like classic rock to almost hard rock and have a les paul or a guitar that can a bring a tone similar to an lp, this amp will knock your socks off. However i have tried it with a few other cabs and it only works well with its own cab so you must invest in an Orange cab too, there is some voodoo and mojo in those cabs when they are paired.

As far as the tone its like a really crystal clear marshally kind of tone but a bit darker and crunchier in places and very dry. If you are a sloppy rhytym player this amp will bring that out, but the bright side is that if you are a solid player it will make you shine more than a marshall will. It takes pedals better than any amp i have tried in a long time. My fuzz boxes sound absolutely amazing thru it.

• Members

My other guitar player has a rockverb, its a really cool amp. Cleans are awesome and the drive channel has {censored} tons of gain. It can get fizzy quick so play with the gain to get it where you like.

• Members

I'd have to disagree. I've had several marshall and orange amps. Oranges are defintely darker. ( and looser ) That's why I'm an orange/matamp guy. Very dark amps. Both my 75 OR 120 and RV 100 are dark and rule ! My black matamp is the darkest, most bassiest amp I've ever owned.

• Members

my tv50 is a very "dark" amp but there is NO fizz on channel 1 at all. Its seriously the most amazing rock tone with an LP, i highly recommend finding a shop with one of these and jamming on it.

But I have to disagree about them being looser than a marshall, i find the Orange sound to be much tighter than a marshall.

• Members

I'd have to disagree. I've had several marshall and orange amps. Oranges are defintely darker. ( and looser ) That's why I'm an orange/matamp guy. Very dark amps. Both my 75 OR 120 and RV 100 are dark and rule ! My black matamp is the darkest, most bassiest amp I've ever owned.

They are definitely looser . I agree 100% on that one. The RV 100 is not what I would consider a dark , bass heavy amp though.

• Members

How do they compare to your Marshalls?

Orange amps are a hot topic for debate on HCAF. I am an Orange dealer and was an Orange "artist" for a while. There are things that I really like about their amps and things that I REALLY dont like . Guys that play Orange will defend Orange to the death , and thats totally cool. I was one of those guys . Ive just found that personally , there are a lot of amps out there that I prefer. I sure wish they wouldnt have done away with the Rocker 30 though. That was the gem of the Orange line imo.

• Members

They are definitely looser . I agree 100% on that one. The RV 100 is not what I would consider a dark , bass heavy amp though.

I'd agree on that point too, but when I put Kt 88's in my RV 100, it added quite a bit more bass and darkness. Also made it more compressed and more of a metal amp. Looking forward to getting my OR 120 retubed today, it's been awhile since I played it.

Archived