NSD - New Snax Day

AdInfinitum

• Members

Drove up to Snax headquarters on Saturday and picked up the Snax II. Felt like Moses receiving the 10 Commandments from the almighty. Very cool that Cliff and the Mrs. took time out to do this over the weekend. 8 hours round-trip from Long Island. Worth it after spending 24 hours of my life hitting the Yahoo e-commerce web-site three days straight. Good luck to those still trying to buy one. Unfortunately, you may be in for a long wait.

• Members

Drove up to Snax headquarters on Saturday and picked up the Snax II.
Felt like Moses receiving the 10 Commandments from the almighty.
Very cool that Cliff and the Mrs. took time out to do this over the weekend. 8 hours round-trip from Long Island. Worth it after spending 24 hours of my life hitting the Yahoo e-commerce web-site three days straight. Good luck to those still trying to buy one. Unfortunately, you may be in for a long wait.

:facepalm::lol:

• Members

Drove up to Snax headquarters on Saturday and picked up the Snax II. Felt like Moses receiving the 10 Commandments from the almighty. Very cool that Cliff and the Mrs. took time out to do this over the weekend. 8 hours round-trip from Long Island. Worth it after spending 24 hours of my life hitting the Yahoo e-commerce web-site three days straight. Good luck to those still trying to buy one. Unfortunately, you may be in for a long wait.

your e-peen is so big, I had to adjust my screen resolution...

• Members

No, production didn't shut down. Just demand has exceeded supply (Well duh!). It will take probably 2-3 months for Fractal to meet this initial demand. They are building, testing and shipping as fast as they can. I just didn't want to waste more time trying to snatch a Snax on the Yahoo store when you don't know when the units will be available and then they sell out in 60 seconds. Twice I had a Snax in my shopping cart, but by the time I hit checkout, they were sold out. Fractal now instituted a waiting list, since everyone complained.

I still have my Standard and hooked up an ABY pedal to switch between the two. Based upon the hour I had to play after setting up the MFC, I'd say the major difference besides the obvious additional features is that the 2 sounds more real, more in the room, more raw/less smooth than the Standard. The Standard still sounded great, the 2 just sounder greater. When playing just an amp and cab (baseman sim), it really sounded like a real amp coming through my monitors. It also felt like a real amp. You should be a happy camper when you get it. Good luck.

• Members

Neil: I'm sure Mark Day will post some vids soon. I may eventually, just to show the differences between the Standard and 2 playing just amp and cabinet sims. I still need to set up the pedalboard, learn about the X Y feature, write some patches (new Axe-edit should be out this week), calibrate the Wah and pick up a Radial Hotshot pedal so I can have both the Standard and 2 go through the Atomic. Oh yeah, and go back to work after wasting last week hitting F5 til my hand was numb.

• Members

Edge:

I've had my Standard for over three years. While others would hear major differences in new firmware, I would be skeptical. It all sounded good. I just went with the flow. My initial impression of the 2 is that there is more clarity and responsiveness. It is not night and day though. Many of my patches and those I downloaded had a remoteness to the sound, some had the "blanket over the speaker" sound. Only a few patches I downloaded had the same clarity that I'm finding with the 2. The Ultra is capable of getting a lot of this same clarity and responsiveness. If you know what you are doing with the Snax, the differences may not be as great as they are for me. I think the 2 will just make it easier on those who are not great patch makers.

• Members

Edge:

I've had my Standard for over three years. While others would hear major differences in new firmware, I would be skeptical. It all sounded good. I just went with the flow. My initial impression of the 2 is that there is more clarity and responsiveness. It is not night and day though. Many of my patches and those I downloaded had a remoteness to the sound, some had the "blanket over the speaker" sound. Only a few patches I downloaded had the same clarity that I'm finding with the 2. The Ultra is capable of getting a lot of this same clarity and responsiveness. If you know what you are doing with the Snax, the differences may not be as great as they are for me. I think the 2 will just make it easier on those who are not great patch makers.

I actually went on the list today but reserve the right to not buy when it's my turn. :) I am actually happy with what I have especially for what I do.

PS: If I had one there would be ten clips a day for a week. I don't get a whole bunch of people saying they don't have time to do this. It takes five minutes to record a clip less to do a vid cam thingy. No offense to OP BTW.

• Members

PS: If I had one there would be ten clips a day for a week. I don't get a whole bunch of people saying they don't have time to do this. It takes five minutes to record a clip less to do a vid cam thingy. No offense to OP BTW.

I will hunt you down and beat you with it.

• Members

Hmm so went from sounds real, to sounds realer, to sounds even more real than the last two versions. Think about it if you had all three. $1300+2000+2200+ all your accessory costs.

almost like one, but still not an amp. :cop:

happy new :snax: day

Coupon deal or pay the full 2600?

• Members

Actually, (1) It went from pretty close to damn close/ indistinguishable and (2) it is like 60 amps that all sound good. A nice compliment to my 20 tube amps (5153, 5150, DR 504, 1987, Voodoo modded JMP, Carr Slant 6V, Silverface Twin Reverb, RANDALL MTS, EGNATER MOD 100, Trainwreck Clone, Dumble Clone, Miniplex II, Zinky Superfly, etc.

Paid discounted price.

• Members

Hmmm your not 2 far from me i would like to hear 1 in person one of these years (hint hint) :lol:

Whats the deal with the discount price? --- Whats does that mean? I thought they were $2299? Are they charging more now for the SNAX II :confused:

HNAD bro, enjoy and please post a clip or 2 when u get a chance

:thu:

• Members

I'm in Old Bethpage if you want to visit and have a go. Although my Atomic FR is sounding bad, so I may not have a good monitor for a week or so.

The discount price is $2199.95. Yesterday, Fractal raised the price to the MSRP for anyone not on the waiting list and waiting their turn. If you wait your turn, you get a $400 coupon. I got $100 off because I was supposed to get a $100 coupon for the MFC-101.

• Members

So I took out my old time machine, went six months in the future, and picked up the new Axe FX II Ultra. First impressions so far: it sounds more "real" than the standard. I mean, the standard was good and all, but the Ultra has that "tubes cooking" smell, mingled with the "years of beer and cigarette smoke" vibe on the vintage models. It has that "new amp" smell on the modern amps too, pretty cool, though I don't use those much.

I really like the new tube failure simulation - it's a whole new level of realism, just like the real thing. It would be helpful though if the 'replace tubes' menu was easier to find on a dark stage - I had to fiddle with it for 10 minutes before my amp sim was back to its full glory.

I also dig that the weight of the II ultra is now closer to the real weight of carrying around 30 amps and 15 cabinets, along with a full fridge rack of effects and a huge pedal board. It's still a lot smaller, so they have some room for improved realism there IMHO.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. It won't completely replace my "metalzone into TV" practice rig, nor my SIGNATURE block letter 5150, but it gets close enough that I think for recording no-one would probably definately not notice the difference.

• Members

I just find it strange that people either defend or denigrate one type of amplifiication over the other. IT IS A TOOL (or Toy in my case) FOR MAKING MUSIC. That's it. For some things, I prefer playing through my many tube amps (I LOVE MY MTS set-up). I also enjoy playing through several Solid State Amps, such as my JC-55 and GK 250 RL/MPL. They all sound good to me. Each has its own unique flavor. Some people love Fender, some love Marshall, some love mesa, some love the latest "boutique" amp with the newest, coolest mods. I love em all. They are all fun to play and tweak.

As I said elsewhere, the new Snax does sound "better" and more realistic vis-a-vis the tube amp it is emulating than over my Standard. At first, when ABing them, I actually preferred the Standard (probably because I'm use to it after 3 years), but as I played more and more, I realized the Snax2 was more articulate/reactive/touch sensitive - felt better and sounded better. Is it a night and day difference. No, but noticeable if you are playing through it, probably not if you are listing back to a recorded track. I think the main difference between the SNAX and many of my tubes amps is consistency. On some days, my 1987 Marshall sounds great (for its one trick pony sound). The next day, I'll turn it on and it sounds like crap. Same settings, same guitar, same cabinet.

In any case, I still think my original POD 2.0 sounds pretty good for some things. Same with my 11R. I don't think the modeling is nearly as good as the Standard (especially for liv eplaying), but in a track, the 11R blends really well in my mixes. It sounds like a real amp recorded. They are all just tools for making music. I'm just glad I have it in my tool case.

Archived