Has anyone here tried a telecaster through a 6505+?

OverDriven

• Members

For what it's worth, I had a Squire Tele' for a few weeks that I ran through my 6505+ when my band played a hard rock cover of Garth Brooks's "Rodeo". Cheapo wiring and pups made me sell it rather quick, but I don't believe you'd have a bad experience with a good Tele' through a 6505+ :thu:

• Members

I'd do it. I have a tele w/ a lil 59 in it and have ran it into Mesa stuff. But I've also had other stock Telecasters and used them as well. It's not going to be a chugging metal monster but look at bands like the Unsane who use an American Tele into a high gain amp. {censored} sounds sick!

• Members

Thanks guys. I'm planning on playing in a new band with this...style is going to be experimental mixed with post-hardcore and some ambient elements. My EC-1000 has been my workhorse for a long time, but I don't think it can do exactly what I want for this band. I'll be using the 6505+'s rhythm and crunch channels a lot, and only really going to the lead channel for solo/lead work here and there. The sound I'm looking for is big and jangly with a good amount of grind when I need it. So that brings me to the next question...which model of Tele would be the best? There's a lot to choose from. I would like to keep it under $1000 if possible.

• Members

I know I'm being a snob here, but I think I want a real Fender. Don't you think a MIM Tele for $499 would be better than a Squier anyways?

Depends on the squier. IMO some of the Classic Vibe and Vintage moddeds have a more "tele" twang than the MIM's, which have a bit darker pickups, IMO.

That said, I really, really dig the janglies through my 6505+. Bridge single coils on Teles and Strats sound killer through a medium driven crunch channel. Roll back the volume and get enough chime and clang with the dirt, and I don't know who would choose a "clean" clean over that. Soooo nice.

• Members

I know I'm being a snob here, but I think I want a real Fender. Don't you think a MIM Tele for $499 would be better than a Squier anyways?

not really, the quality with both vary widely

find either that have a good neck / play well to you, modify as required with after market stuffs to suit

or snob out and get an entry level suhr tele :o

• Members

I dunno. I went in to samash one day looking at teles, and started playing with them, and I was really shocked at how nicely the 180 dollar squier tele played. I didnt really notice much difference between it and the upper models, as far as playability....sound wise, however, is another story lol....not that it sounded bad, but the others were certainly better.

• Members

Tele into a highgainer is always tits.

As far as suggestions, I would look at a used Hwy 1/Amer Std. if I were in your shoes - the fit and finish of the American stuff is pretty good. Otherwise, the Fender Player's stuff (upgraded MIM) is OK, but I prefer the satin neck of the later 00's American stuff.

• Members

Here's one I'd recommend. Put in a lil 59 or whatever tele sc sized HB in the bridge and a coil tap. Then you'll have Tele looks, a heavy sounding bridge pu as well as some in between Strat sounds.

Bah - the Tele bridge pickup can get plenty heavy. It's all in the player's hands. Put a hot, thick sounding single coil in there (Duncan Broadcaster would be a good one) and hit the strings hard - lots of midrange grind.

• Members

Tele into a highgainer is always tits.

As far as suggestions, I would look at a used Hwy 1/Amer Std. if I were in your shoes - the fit and finish of the American stuff is pretty good. Otherwise, the Fender Player's stuff (upgraded MIM) is OK, but I prefer the satin neck of the later 00's American stuff.

I'd look for a HWY1. I have a HWY1 strat and have played the Tele. Both are amazing

Also, SCs plus a 6505+ is tits.