wood working tent/ dust in my house

musicdog400

• Members

I usually do woodworking in my garage but my condo association might start cracking down on me. So I was thinking about erecting a frame and hanging plastic over it, to allow me to do routing, etc, inside my condo. Noise isn't that much of an issue. I just want to control the dust.

Anyone ever heard of anything like this ?

• Members

Well, I was thinking of doing something similar because I don't even have a garage. I'm sure you can identify with that since you also live in southern California and would know how rare it is for a young person (under 30) to actually live in a house.

• Members

how rare it is for a young person (under 30) to actually live in a house.

For sure. I am 42 and live by myself. My mortgage + assoc + everything is around 2800 a month for a 900 sq ft condo. When the average person can't afford the average house, something is wrong with the economy, but that is another discussion.

• Members

A very common problem, there are reams of material online on dust suppression in woodwork; a fancy system can cost $1k even for a small home shop. A more cheap solution is vinyl curtains; I have a fixed one in front of my table saw with two furnace air filters flush with the ceiling and the curtain hung below to the floor. The other curtain pulls around the saw area (10x10) and I mount the single bag dust collector outside with a 4" hose in. Its loud cheap and moves 450CFM

http://www.grizzly.com/products/1-HP-Light-Duty-Dust-Collector/G1163

I put the tube end near the saw or just pull air through when I'm sanding etc. My lungs love it! A "saw diaper" hung below the saw also helps, and a downdraft table is useful for sanding routing etc. all available from the Griz...

• Members

i used to work construction. if you want something quick and easy, this is what we did:

put up big sheets of plastic. basically, make a wall out of a sheet. it will go from floor to ceiling, and wall-to-wall. the next part is important: if you're attaching to regular walls, tape strong enough to hold up the plastic will take paint with it when the plastic comes down. to solve this, we put blue-colored painting tape on the walls near the edges of the plastic. it won't hold anything up, it simply provides a barrier between the delicate wall and the strong tape. at this point, use duct tape to secure the plastic to the painting tape. we used these in conjunction with filtered fans, but you wouldn't have to. just make sure you don't suffocate yourself. maybe you could incorporate a shop vac into the design to provide air/filtration.

cleanup is easy. plastic can be hosed off and dried so that it can be reused.

also, don't inhale sawdust.

• Members

For sure. I am 42 and live by myself. My mortgage + assoc + everything is around 2800 a month for a 900 sq ft condo. When the average person can't afford the average house, something is wrong with the economy, but that is another discussion.

Hold on to your hats, because all signs point to it getting alot worse in the next year.

Anyway, sounds like a great idea, and if you can rig up some sort of dust collection system for your routers or whatever you plan on using, you would be my hero.

• Members

If you have room, just set up an old tent. Hook up a dust collector to it and have an input vent on the other side. Wear a filter mask while inside. It may sound crazy, but so is the problem your are trying to solve. I'd consider it.

Archived