EVH 5150 III....thoughts...

mhenson42

• Members

It's been awhile since I've played one of these. I have the opportunity to get a new in box head and cab for dealer cost ($2100 for both). Not sure if I should. I'm gonna go check it out next weekend. In the meantime.....What are your thoughts on this amp/cab. I've read good things about the cab, but I haven't really played one outside of low volume at a GC. How's the 5153 with the modded marhshall type tones?

It's either that or I'm thinking about a new 2011 Splawn QR and cab. Which would be more. I love my Nitro and I've read interesting things about updates to the QR.

• Members

GREAT price. Those cabs are hella expensive.

Check my sig for 5150 III ryth tone in teh video. One of my top 3 amps.

I can't hear them at work. I'll check them out later. Yeah. It started out just buying the head for $1330 but he said I could have the cab for $770 if I wanted. It's hard to pass up a good deal. Just don't know if I really want them.

• Members

I can't hear them at work. I'll check them out later. Yeah. It started out just buying the head for $1330 but he said I could have the cab for $770 if I wanted. It's hard to pass up a good deal. Just don't know if I really want them.

I see a Splawn in your sig. Ironically I swapped my 5150 III for a QR. It was one of those deals where you are 100% unmoved by which one I liked more.

The QR was great for live, rehearsal, but the 5150 III was better for recording and low vol jammin.

A 5150 III chan 3 sounds like a cross between a recto and a 5150II

• Members

Great amp, not sure if that cab price is such a good deal. I guess it is cheaper than a new one but still not that great. Cheers, Lucius

Agree with this - the head price is great though.

I really liked the 5150 III. Clean channel was great for a channel switcher (not that I ever used it). Second channel could have used more gain and low mids, but was a nice crunch channel (not that I ever used it). Red channel was where it's at - really percussive tight low end, nice mids and high end. In the end I found it had a kind of raunchy squawk to it that bugged me, but I was chasing thicker, smoother tones at that time. It's a great rock amp, especially for the price.

• Members

Okay. I just read someone say it was a "poor man's Diezel Herbert". lol. I just sold my Herbert for the second time.

Interesting though, the speakers are EVH labeled Heritage G12Ms.

Yep. That is why I think it is a good deal. Not many peeps know the cabs cost $1000+

EVH to be fair fkn knows his stuff when he designs amps.

• Members

IDK matt if its between the 53 and the QR I would go with the 53.i think you got your splawn/marshally tone covered with the nitro.

Tells ya what though. Chan 2 of the 53 gets you near AC/DC mode when you crank it.

The only thing I found disappointing was the clean channel. It was a little grainy for my setup. He must use lower gain pickups than my EMG;s.

• Members

It's a matter of boredom while I wait on my CCV. lol I just sold my Herbert so all I have now is my Nitro and I like to play 2 amps at once. This just seemed like a good deal. That I could get in cheap and sell when the CCV gets here. A Fryette UL has crossed my mind too.

I don't really care about the clean channel.

• Members
Matt....sells maps in no time
:facepalm:

I think you've been trying to sell your Herbert the whole time I owned my Mk2. :lol:

If it's any consolation, I sold it locally to nedezero here on the boards. He's a friend - so it wasn't like it was a forum deal.

• Members

I think you've been trying to sell your Herbert the whole time I owned my Mk2.
:lol:

If it's any consolation, I sold it locally to nedezero here on the boards. He's a friend - so it wasn't like it was a forum deal.

Yeah, and the price is reasonable. :facepalm: Whatever, it'll sell eventually :snax: Some guy wants to trade for a SLO but I need to downsize.

And I need money for golf :lol:

• Members
I'd trade it for the SLO.
;)

my how the times have changed. lol

Do you still have an SC-250? or are you all LP now.

There's a black cherry sc250 at the local GC I've tried to buy in the past but they wouldn't budge on price. A friend told me it was marked down a bit - so I'm gonna go try again. I kind of wish I got the Artist you sold awhile back.

• Members

I love my 5150 III. All the best things about a 5150 without the negatives, IMO. Smooth, articulate but aggressive. Personally I didn't care for the cab too much. Maybe for more rock-ish tones, but I prefer Vintage 30's for almost everything. Plugging into the EVH cab it sounded great. Then plugging into a V30 cab, it was quite a bit louder and more aggressive. It was quite a difference IMO, especially in the volume dept. (which was to be expected, but to this degree it was a surprise).

Archived