Pay cash or finance with no interest?

guitarbilly74

• Members

Thinking of buying a new guitar that costs $600. I have the $ for it, but AMS also sells it for 3 payments with no interest and no credit hit/inquiry.

I could simply buy it, but since I wouldn't be paying finance charges, should I just for the 3 payment thing and keep the money on my savings account? Realistically, I won't accrue too much interest over 3 months on such a small amount, talking a few cents here but I wouldn't lose anything either. What would HCAF do?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If it's 0%, I'd do that! Anything like that improves your credit rating and if the money stays in your current account, it earns interest while it's there!

I've bought several pieces on 0% interest free and it really does improve your rating!

• Members

If it's 0%, I'd do that! Anything like that improves your credit rating and if the money stays in your current account, it earns interest while it's there!

I've bought several pieces on 0% interest free and it really does improve your rating!

This one doesn't improve the credit rating. It doesn't even appear on my credit unless I default on it. Otherwise, it is never even reported. It agree on the 0% thing though, I have nothing to lose.

• Members

Hmmm, I guess it works differnet in the States? If it doesn't help then just buy it outright unless you have a better use for the cash.

My 0%ers have all appeared on my report with a glowing rating.

In fact, I checked my score years back and I was 850/1000 or so. The last time I checked it (I've had no other credit bar music stuff) and I'm on 997. I'm sure there are plenty of other factors, but at the same time with nothing but good reports on my rating, I'm in a good position to remortgage next year and I'm happy with that! So yea, it's very possibly helped me a good bit. Like I say, I'm sure there are plenty other factors that improved it too!

• Members

Thinking of buying a new guitar that costs $600. I have the $ for it, but AMS also sells it for 3 payments with no interest and no credit hit/inquiry.

I could simply buy it, but since I wouldn't be paying finance charges, should I just for the 3 payment thing and keep the money on my savings account? Realistically, I won't accrue too much interest over 3 months on such a small amount, talking a few cents here but I wouldn't lose anything either. What would HCAF do?

I buy things with no interest loans occasionally

but there are factors to consider before it is worth doing so.

how much would the money would earn sitting in an interest drawing account.

&

What sort of discount can you get if you pay cash.

a period of three months is not going to see much savings though.

I sometimes come out ahead if the interest free period is 24-36 months & the amount borrowed is several thousand dollars.

I bought new appliances when we remodeled our kitchen. the total was roughly 6 grand (on sale) & the store I got them from had an interest free period of 3 years.

the interest I would earn on 6 grand sitting in a short term account for 3 years was about $800.00. the best discount the store would give me was 10%.

I came out slightly on top by buying interest free.

plus the store threw in free delivery

• Members

Have you seen any of the Explorer Melody Makers?

I wants a white one....bad
:)

116810636-front-l.jpg

I am debating between the white V, the black SG or the black LP. That's the only thing holding me back, I can't make up my mind.

But yes, I am STOKED with this line of guitars. This is actually what I ALWAYS wanted Gibson to make. I will also get a Badass intonatable tailpiece and an EMG 81 and it's going to be the perfect stage guitar for me. I missed out when they had the SG-X and hated myself for it, but this is even better, because I love the faded finishes and it has 22 frets instead of 24 on the SGX.

• Members

Just buy it outright since you already have the money.

Say you decide to use the installment plan and when it comes time to make the monthly payment, an emergency comes up and you need cash urgently. You use the money you originally put aside for your guitar payments and have no money left over to pay the installment. Then you would have defaulted on the loan.

• Members

I've done it a few times. Even if you have the money, it's nice to have it for a bit longer if it's not gonna cost you anything. And yeah, my credit rating seemed to improve, too. It's not the same as buying something on interest or with money you don't have.

• Members

Just buy it outright since you already have the money.

Say you decide to use the installment plan and when it comes time to make the monthly payment, an emergency comes up and you need cash urgently. You use the money you originally put aside for your guitar payments and have no money left over to pay the installment. Then you would have defaulted on the loan.

I have an emergency fund set aside. This is completely separate from it.

But yeah I think I will just buy outright, or at least set up the plan so I can use some cash to buy the parts I need to customize it in the first month and then just pay it off the next month. I think that's what I am going to do, now that I think of it.

• Members

They are being advertised as limited runs...I think that would be a mistake.

500-600 dollars for a USA made gibson...fukin a :)

Explorers have always been my favorite ugly guitar...I don't know why, but I have never owned one.

• Members

They are being advertised as limited runs...I think that would be a mistake.

500-600 dollars for a USA made gibson...fukin a
:)

Explorers have always been my favorite ugly guitar...I don't know why, but I have never owned one.

I love Explorers, I am just not sold on the pickguard they used. But maybe on the black one it would be cool. hmmm... :confused::lol::facepalm:

• Members

I played one of the LP MMs recently. Son, I was disappoint. Sharp fret ends and it didn't really feel like an inspiring plank of Gibson USA'ness.

To me, the Epiphone LP Custom played so much nicer and you seemed to get a bit more for, well, less money! The pickups on both were a little buzzy sounding, but the neck and hardware on the Epi felt a good deal nicer. I think the MM makers have been corner-cut simply to just about pay for the American labour costs.

But, just my opinion. Poopy, like my bottom!

• Members

I love Explorers, I am just not sold on the pickguard they used. But maybe on the black one it would be cool. hmmm...
:confused::lol::facepalm:

The pickguards on all of them are designed so all the electronics just fit on the single guard with no wire routing through the bodies. The bridge ground connection is also incorporated into the pickguard design all to keep the actual assembly time down to a minimum.

• Members

I played one of the LP MMs recently. Son, I was disappoint. Sharp fret ends and it didn't really feel like an inspiring plank of Gibson USA'ness.

To me, the Epiphone LP Custom played so much nicer and you seemed to get a bit more for, well, less money! The pickups on both were a little buzzy sounding, but the neck and hardware on the Epi felt a good deal nicer. I think the MM makers have been corner-cut simply to just about pay for the American labour costs.

But, just my opinion. Poopy, like my bottom!

I really liked the ones I played :idk:

My thing is I love the concept of the guitar, being an all-mahogany set-neck, short scale, single HB guitar. I plan to use it as a platform to customize.

• Members

The AMS 3 payment thing is just delayed billing, it's not a credit type account.

I've used it numerous times and think it's a great option. They stick you with a one time $3 fee or so for processing.

Sort of like a lay-away plan, but you get your stuff now:thu:

Archived