MYTHBUSTERS: I am going to do science. DOES SPEAKER BREAK IN EXIST?

Cirrus

• Members

what, u mad? im a racist? just quoting an SNL skit (well, paraphrasing. linked above) br:o

funny as {censored}. and if you dont think so, you are racially hypersensitive, a common symptom of your garden variety racist
:cop:

Cool your jets mang, I didn't watch the clip before, jeez.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It has, results suggest burn in exist if you think that you can hear differences of 0.4dB at certain frequencies. Still, nothing against OP - I'm interested in the results, its probably indicative of more real world "break in" or typical speaker use than a purely scientific test, which is probably more relevant to everyone.

dBs are measured as a ratio, which uses the average of sound tests to measure what 0dB is.

So there are people who have hearing of -0.5 dB in a particular frequency. The fact of the matter is, there is a perceivable difference between "new" and "old" speakers, but what we have to ask if there is a difference in a band situation (short answer no, hell half this forum could tell the difference between humbuckers and single coils in an ISO clip) and two, do we care? If speakers can break in then they have an infinite break in period and are always breaking in therefore always changing so it's a moot point anyway.

The only true way to test it is to use a class D power amp, a constant white noise signal (not pink as a guitar will not be equal across all frequencies) and have a constant recording done and take snapshots over time to see if the wave form is different, then repeat a few thousand times to get an average to see if there is a difference.

• Members
Your experience level has to be fairly low or limited to even consider this question.

Yeah looks like I'm not the only one who isn't sure what you're getting at.

On first read I thought you meant that I was clearly very inexperienced to be wanting to do a little test to see how real speaker break in is, rather than just sticking to subjective experience of new speakers and preconcieved notions. So it came across as a bit of a sleight against me. Which seems a bit harsh, really.:rolleyes:

But then I got confused because I don't understand what experience we're talking about. My playing experience? My listening to speaker experience? My real world recording/ gigging experience? And if it's so obvious with a little experience, why are so many experienced players on here taking different sides? And "to even consider this question" suggests you fall strongly in one camp, but it isn't clear which one.

It sounds like you're trying to imply that YOU are experienced, and YOU know the truth. But by not actually saying what the truth is you don't need to defend yourself or get shot down. If you've got an opinion, spell it out. :thu:

• Members

Yeah looks like I'm not the only one who isn't sure what you're getting at.

On first read I thought you meant that I was clearly very inexperienced to be wanting to do a little test to see how real speaker break in is, rather than just sticking to subjective experience of new speakers and preconcieved notions. So it came across as a bit of a sleight against me. Which seems a bit harsh, really.
:rolleyes:

But then I got confused because I don't understand what experience we're talking about. My playing experience? My listening to speaker experience? My real world recording/ gigging experience? And if it's so obvious with a little experience, why are so many experienced players on here taking different sides? And "to even consider this question" suggests you fall strongly in one camp, but it isn't clear which one.

It sounds like you're trying to imply that YOU are experienced, and YOU know the truth. But by not actually saying what the truth is you don't need to defend yourself or get shot down. If you've got an opinion, spell it out.
:thu:

1289444749658.gif

• Members

Yes, occasionally people will say speakers require break in. People who buy new speakers say this, people who make speakers say this, even common sense itself dictates that a mechanical device that requires a piece of cardboard to flex will over time soften up and change its response.

But still the nay-sayers come. They say it's bull{censored}. It's ears going deaf through volume. it's brains acclimatising to the sound of a speaker. No conclusive tests have been done.

I hope to change that. In my 2x12 is a Greenback and a Tayden Ace 25 - a Celestion Blue clone. Details here;

The Tayden was bought new in April and has been gigged+ used at practice at high volume regularly. Basically, if break in exists, this speaker is broken in.

In the mail is a second, NEW, Tayden Ace 25.

You can see where I'm going. I am going to put the new Tayden in the 2x12 next to the old Tayden. Then I'm going to put a mic in front of each of them, and record them both at the same time. I will then edit the two tracks to make one clip that switches from speaker to speaker so it'll be easy to hear if there's any difference between the two. I'll also switch the mics round to make sure we're not hearing the sound of two mics that aren't the same.

But hey, the speakers might just sound different anyway, right? Yeah, they might. That's why I'll repeat the experiment next month, same two speakers, but if speaker break in exists I'd expect the two speakers to sound different in the first recording, and be more similar in the second recording.

If, on the other hand, speaker break in is a myth, then either the two speakers will sound essentially the same in both clips, or they'll sound different in the first clip and still sound different in the second clip.

Then, we can once and for all settle the speaker break in "myth", using an experiment that has a "control" - a well used speaker to compare the relative tone of the new speaker to over time. I'll even use more than one kind of mic - an SM57 since it's an industry standard, and a condensor which will hopefully pick up more detail.

I'll pass based on variances in mechanical devices. Record new speaker with no play time and then break it in, recording a new track when you're done. Otherwise, meh.

• Members

I'd imagine you should also conduct the test near the speaker's physical limits as the "wear" might not only affect frequency response but also the speaker's characteristics at the limits of its excursion (iow, how the speaker reacts when you reach the very limits of the cone travel). Just plotting frequency response can't accurately reveal this but the impact on distortion and harmonics might be significant. :idk:

• Members

Here's a New and Broken-in speaker comparison. A fairly controlled setup

New Speaker

I bought a pair of GS1275 speakers several years ago and only used one. Didn't even open the other box until yesterday.

Both speakers are in the same 2x12 cab

Wired parallel

Driven from the same amp and guitar

Very similar riffing

Mic positioning is the same as much as possible. Direct on ~3 inches out from speaker rim

• Members

I will supply some detail...

I utilized the mic stand and speaker stand to create a reference distance. The mic stand butted up to the speaker stand creating a very precise distance. I then measured the mic's side to side for alignment. The differences in tone are absolutely not a result of mic positioning.

One thing that would make this a better test is to drive a single speaker swapping each in the same cab. I would have done that, but the only 1x12 cab I own is front loaded and the speaker's frames are just a bit big for the cab speaker cutout.

• Members

I personally find this line of questioning the obvious a bit odd all together really. Everyone knows the shoes you wear will assume the shape of your feet when using them, because the material is flexed back and forth and thereby softening it slightly. Same goes with a damper and cone in a speaker. An engine has to be broken in or 'run in' before you can use it at its rated power too. Even a solid state hifi amplifier matures within the first hours of use, which perhaps may sound even more strange since there are no moving parts or other stuff getting knocked into shape in one of those. But it's there and it's great when it happens.

Then of course eventually the speaker will get so broken in it's really beginning to wear out but that usually takes decades.

perience. But it's fact of life.

Archived