BS about Angus and Malcolm Young's Amps

LesPaulCustom79

• Members

Rigs had to be quite a bit different back in the 70's as arena's were just that - arena's made for hockey, football, whatever. They had very poor acoustics and even worse PA's. Over the years since venues have been designed/upgraded to handles rock shows and include state-of-the-art acoustics and PA's so there's no longer a need for the big backlines for anything other than show. Comparing what used to be used and what is currently being used is like apples and oranges.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So this is the config on the Black Ice tour. So what? I got an under stage tour back on the Flick of the Switch tour - and saw Angus' iso booth JTM-45 for myself. So he's not using it now - big deal? {censored} changes up all the time -- hell, there's even that Mesa Boogie rack pic floating about from one of their tours.

CSB

• Members

Alot has been written online that Malcolm plays through a couple of old Marshall Super Lead 100's and Angus plays through a really old beat up Marshall JTM45 Plexi miked under the stage, and one Marshall Super Lead 100 on stage, blah, blah, blah.

Total BULLCRAP!!! You don't play huge arenas with a couple of beat up vintage amps.

Malcolm uses (6) Marshall Super Lead 100 amps using EL-34 power tubes, (4) Late 70's Marshall JMP MkII 2203 Master Volume 160 watt amps using 6550 power tubes, and (2) WIZARD 180 Watt Master Volume Custom Amps using KT-88 power tubes. Super Leads are cranked and the Master Volume Amps set to moderate gain and pretty much cranked. One half of the amps are in use with one identical mirror image backup for each amp used. Basically (3) Super Lead 100's, (2) JMP MkII Master Volumes, and (1) WIZARD are in use at the same time for clean tones mixed with medium gain crunch tones. His 4x12 cabinets use Celestion G12H-30's for good bottom end and that midrange crunch breakup. Some cabinets have Celestion G12T-75's for extra bottom end and smooth high end. Settings: Pres=0 Bass=8 Mids=5 Treble=7 Gain=5 Vol=10

Angus uses a similar arsenal of amps to Malcolm except he uses Celestion G12M Greenback speakers for more midrange to cut through the heavy AC/DC mix and controls his extra boost with his SG Volume Knob.

Thank you for exposing the truth! I am going to burn my posters and delete my mp3's with extreme prejudice. {censored} them {censored}ers!! Who do they think they are. Now that I know this, they suck! I used to think they were a pretty rocking band, but now I know the truth!

• Members

wish i was angus

...thinking about it, if there was a poll, out of say 100 hundred people, on "who would you rather be, angus or malcolm?" i bet at least 90% would vote angus.

prove me wrong people. prove me wrong.

• 1 month later...

Archived