Replacing fret markers

alwaysharp

• Members

Are you talking about the inlays? Sounds prety tricky. Alot of the stuff I've read about removing anything from the neck says to steam it for a while and it should make things easier. You might try adhearing something to the top of the inlay with epoxy or a glue stronger than whats holding it down and you might be able to pull them out. But your also risking taking out a chunk of wood underneith the inlay, which might not be a problem.

• Members

i drilled mine out with a drill bit smaller than the inlay. don't drill to far though. lever out the the remaining inlay with a screw driver if you need. most of the glue was in the center of mine so didn't need to lever them out .

was a lot easier than i though it would be

• Members

i drilled mine out with a drill bit smaller than the inlay. don't drill to far though. lever out the the remaining inlay with a screw driver if you need. most of the glue was in the center of mine so didn't need to lever them out .

was a lot easier than i though it would be

would that work as well with a non circular inlay?

• Members

would that work as well with a non circular inlay?

ive never done this before but the thought popped into my head, if its a block inlay you could try using a small router or dremel tool on route mode and route out most of the inside of the inlay, and then lift the rest as said ?

• Members

Most markers are soft crap plastic, no drilling needed just cut in and lever out with knife etc. For non-round inlays you can trace them on to Ablam (LMII.com) and carefully cut it down with a dremel. Glue in with titebond and sand down as needed.

FYI I hate inlays of all kinds... silly and nonfunctional I want ebony and SS under my strings.

• Members

Most markers are soft crap plastic, no drilling needed just cut in and lever out with knife etc. For non-round inlays you can trace them on to Ablam (LMII.com) and carefully cut it down with a dremel. Glue in with titebond and sand down as needed.

FYI I hate inlays of all kinds... silly and nonfunctional I want ebony and SS under my strings.

the reason i drilled mine is so i didnt damage the wood when levering. but your probably right. they don't seem that secure

• Members

I agree but sometimes its nice to have small markers on the frets, especially if your not very good at guitar yet (like me). I've got a question you might be able to answer - how much of the string vibration do you think passes into the neck at the point where your finger fretting. is it comparable to the force at the nut / bridge?

• Members

drilling and dremeling are the way to start, but don't lever out; try to use a punch or something with a point and press the edges away from the surrounding wood toward the center of the inlay and in. if you pry or lever up you take a chance of the inlay chipping up any material it's stuck to at the edge. underneath is fine, but the edge of the wood surrounding the inlay is the real fragile part.

it can be done, but take your time.

Archived