So (speaker content)

Dolf

• Members

I have come to the realization that at the volumes at which we play, I'm probably going to HAVE to move to higher wattage speakers. And it pisses me off.

As long as the cabs are mic'd and there's a somewhat literate soundman, it's not at all a problem. During the times where that's not the case (either not mic'd or the soundguy is outstandingly mediocre...or the soundguy is fine and the system is just a piece of {censored}) I am getting murdered by the bass and Billy's guitar.

What I love about the green beret/reaper combo is the fact that it gets juicy and compresses and all those other lovely adjectives when pushed really hard, but it sets a serious limit to my headroom.

Anyway, I don't want to move to the same speakers he's using (vet30/et65) but I need SOMETHING with higher headroom in the same vein as what I'm currently using.

So what...Invaders/Reaper HPs? I don't want my {censored} to get any DARKER for pete's sake, but I need more wattage. Also I then need to find someone to trade me the speakers :lol:

--------------------------------

tl;dr version:

Need more headroom from my speakers. Using green beret (25watt) and reaper (30 watt). Need suggestions.

• Members

Don't u have a 6x12? That's a 150 watt cab. Unless u are crushing it with a 100 watt beast of a head, u still have headroom. I think I've even seen u post you are using a Rocker 30 or 50. So basically, bigger wattage speakers isn't going to help u much. Now I'm not discounting those Warehouse speakers suck, cause that's how I feel about the ones I've tried, but I played thru a 4x12.with real Celestion g12h30's with a hundred watt Marshall jcm 800 and I don't think I've ever heard a louder half stack to this day. Flat out deafening. They may have been compressing, but the volume certainly was still there. Unless those warehouse speakers are just not capable of what they should be, then you're amp or cab is prolly the main culprit...

• Members

The only other possibility I can think of causing the issue is that the cab is actually wired at 10.5 ohms due to Sourmash (these speakers actually came from a DIFFERENT 6x12) wiring that cab with all 16 ohm speakers instead of a mix of 8 ohm/16 ohm. Possibly the ohm mismatch is {censored}ing my headroom up enough so that it's noticeable? The speakers themselves are in great condition, the amp is in great shape, it's all wired properly, tubes are all fairly new.

It's not a new problem, fwiw.

• Members

The only other possibility I can think of causing the issue is that the cab is actually wired at 10.5 ohms due to Sourmash (these speakers actually came from a DIFFERENT 6x12) wiring that cab with all 16 ohm speakers instead of a mix of 8 ohm/16 ohm. Possibly the ohm mismatch is {censored}ing my headroom up enough so that it's noticeable? The speakers themselves are in great condition, the amp is in great shape, it's all wired properly, tubes are all fairly new.

It's not a new problem, fwiw.

Actually that sounds like it could certainly be messing with your headroom. Well maybe.. Haha. I've never really thought on how to wire a 6x12, but it sounds like u are saying you would need four 16ohm speakers and two 8 ohm speakers? Or sumthin. Is the other guitarists cab wired different than yours.?. I would wire it up "right", then see what happens. If the other guitarist has the 8ohm speakers u need, then maybe just swap those in your cab and see if its a noticeable change...

• Members

Actually that sounds like it could certainly be messing with your headroom. Well maybe.. Haha. I've never really thought on how to wire a 6x12, but it sounds like u are saying you would need four 16ohm speakers and two 8 ohm speakers? Or sumthin. Is the other guitarists cab wired different than yours.?. I would wire it up "right", then see what happens. If the other guitarist has the 8ohm speakers u need, then maybe just swap those in your cab and see if its a noticeable change...

I can't wire it the "standard" way (four 16 ohm speakers @ 16 ohms, two 8 ohm speakers @ 16 ohms, total 8 ohm load) As I don't have two 8 ohm speakers to try that with. I COULD use his speakers if he were willing to let me experiment...but it would be an et65 and vet 30. Three variables does not a good experiment make. I suppose I could just try to find someone to trade me two 8 ohm speakers for my two 16 ohm, try wiring it up the way it ought to be and see if there's a change. Still a pain in my ass.

• Members

hrm..

hey dolf-- you have a clean boost out front?

honestly-- the only thing that lets me get loud/ cut is my clean boost out front. i take down my volume, and hit it harder with the front side boost. usually, that lets me turn down the tone a bit-- 'cause the boost is brighter.

the whole thing seems to be a bit of a teeter totter of bright/loud/dirty. if i try to run the AMP dirty by itself-- i don't cut, but the gain is gooey and awesome. if i run the amp cleaner with the boost-- it's brighter- but the gain is touchier to get just so.

BUT-- here's another strategy. mebbe it's not so much that you need ALL higher wattage speakers. i run one 400 watt speaker and one 30 watter (course i have all of 20 watts or so)... but indulge the argument. the h30is for treble cut. works great. but the delta pro12a i have is all for girth. it's dark-- and it's not super cutting at ALL.. but it's FAT sounding in the same world as a greenback to my ears. not as bright.. but the h30 more than compensates 'cause it's more efficient. the combo doesn't get flubby. so that's another possiblilty.

both together works well. when i had more of a trad eq-- i'd DUMP my bass when i was super loud too to save on headroom. i mean like on 9 o'clock- whereas it was higher lower on the volume scale.

• Members
I can't wire it the "standard" way (four 16 ohm speakers @ 16 ohms, two 8 ohm speakers @ 16 ohms, total 8 ohm load) As I don't have two 8 ohm speakers to try that with. I COULD use his speakers if he were willing to let me experiment...but it would be an et65 and vet 30. Three variables does not a good experiment make. I suppose I could just try to find someone to trade me two 8 ohm speakers for my two 16 ohm, try wiring it up the way it ought to be and see if there's a change. Still a pain in my ass.

The two top ones, and trade them for some loud ass 101dB sens speakers. You can still mic the lower ones.
Get EVM12L's! :D

• Members

To test with what you have, 5x12. 4 16 ohm spakers wired to 16 ohms, paralell with 1 16 ohm = 8 ohms.

Wouldn't think 10.5 would be a problem, but you can check. Wouldn't think speakers are not high enough wattage. Only way to get more clean head room with the same amp, is speakers with higher spl rateing.

Or one of your speakers took a dump.

• Members

Have to agree that you need at least 50 watts if you are'nt always miked. Hows the tour going Dolf?

50 watts with a 100db efficiency speaker...with less efficient I drowned up a lot of times (headroom wise!). Sound was there but solo boosts became more compressed than louder...clean wasn't clean! More speakers more wattage.

Archived