Interesting read on decline of Rock on FM stations . . .

sahlomonic

• Members

We're only one more generation from country being completely assimilated into pop and only having one major format left.

I think you're being overly optimistic on the state of country. With the likes of Carrie Underwood and Taylor Swift, country is already pop with the slightest of twang. I'm looking forward to country metal. I hear the Les Pauls and Dual Recs already, someone will go hard, if it hasn't been done already.

• Members

Radio is just a delivery mechanism, and the people that own that mechanism are driven by profit. Talk radio is assuredly cheaper to produce. You don't have to deal with record label execs, who also want to turn a major profit, and scouting small talented bands is expensive. So you end up with lots of Nickelback & Rhianna on the stations that still play music.

That's not to say that rock is dead. Rather, that the majority of people who are really into rock are taking advantage of other delivery mechanisms -- their Pandora, own iPods, etc. The shrinking number of rock fans that listen to actual radio means less ad revenue for the stations. Couple that with the above, and you have fewer rock stations.

Rock had its radio heyday when it was pop. Now hip-hop and R&B are pop. A while back, disco was. Radio will play what makes radio money.

(Well, that's my theory, anyway.)

• Members

I haven't listened to the radio much in about 10 years. Even the rock stations were playing the same old {censored} over and over again. I used to love Stupify by Disturbed, but I knew what times I could put the rock station on and hear it daily. The repetition of the same few tracks drove me away to an mp3 player.

Every once in a while (on a short ride) I turn the radio on....half the time I can't even find a song for 5 or 6 minutes after scanning through the five presets in my stereo.

• Members

Maybe we've heard 'Turn the Page' and 'Stranglehold' enough.

This x 1000

Can't tell you how many AC/DC, Led Zepplin, etc songs i never want to hear ever again, and actually turn the dial if they come on, thanks to Radio thinking these bands and others have no more than the 3-5 songs they jam down our throats year after year.

For example:

AC/DC "You shook me all night long"

Scorpions "Rock you like a Hurricane"

Priest "Livin after midnight"

The local Rock station here has even ruined "Master of puppets" for me :facepalm:

I Love Sirius because they don't play the same songs over and over, and usually dig much deeper into the bands catolog, usually skipping over the played into the ground cuts.

• Members

I Love Sirius because they don't play the same songs over and over, and usually dig much deeper into the bands catolog, usually skipping over the played into the ground cuts.

Really? We have sirius on at work and its STILL the same songs by the same bands day in and day out. Of course its the "new classic rock" channel late 70s and 80s stuff...but sheesh, its just as bad as regular radio. However, the few channels they use at work may not be indicative of how it is in general.

• Members

We have a local, independently owned station called Rock104. While they are guilty of playing too much ACDC and GNR, they will play obscure hair metal tracks every night at 8pm. :thu:

They also have a show on weekdays where they play live performances from cliche classic rock station bands. At least it's something different. Pretty cool. :idk:

• Members

In 5 years you'll just drop your phone into a little caddy on your dash and music will fill the car. All the radio frequencies will be sold off for other purposes. Same with Satelite Radio. Once 5G kicks in it will be all over. Good riddance.
Computers have killed the old model of the stations telling you what you want to hear. The internet and computer technology allows people to tell the radio station what they want to hear.

• Members

radio and newspapers are two things i could very easily live without.

radio stations play 5 songs per day on a continous loop in between all the ads, the djs are terrible and why listen to ads
when you have an ipod
?

There's your answer. Most people I know (over 40) don't have an ipod - it's a generational thing. I like radio - it's easier, and I"m not that picky, as long as it's rock. I admit, I spend half my time on Sirius - genre specific stations ... aka Hair Nation, The Boneyard, etc...

• Members

Really? We have sirius on at work and its STILL the same songs by the same bands day in and day out. Of course its the "new classic rock" channel late 70s and 80s stuff...but sheesh, its just as bad as regular radio. However, the few channels they use at work may not be indicative of how it is in general.

My experience, too. In the early days of XM the channels were fantastic in that it was all this great back catalog stuff and things I'd never heard; got rid of it for a few years when I was reprioritizing my budget.

When I got Sirius with my new car, the experience mirrored what you saw, after a little while I could spot the patterns in the music. Listen to the alt stations, you're getting Pet Shop Boys once an hour. No different than what FM did. Got rid of it when the "free" service expired. GF got a new car half a year later, same exact thing.

And half the DJ's are fookin' horrible *cough* Madison *cough*.

• Members

Maybe we've heard 'Turn the Page' and 'Stranglehold' enough.

This + 10000. No {censored}, Sherlock. Maybe if they tried playing something besides the two or three most popular songs of every artist, people would tune in.

I'm 46, life-long rock fan, and I literally can't remember the last time I listened to the radio. I've heard "Sunshine of your Love" and "Whole Lotta Love" quite enough for one lifetime.

• Members

This + 10000. No {censored}, Sherlock. Maybe if they tried playing something besides the two or three most popular songs of every artist, people would tune in.

I'm 46, life-long rock fan, and I literally can't remember the last time I listened to the radio. I've heard "Sunshine of your Love" and "Whole Lotta Love" quite enough for one lifetime.

Disagree - the good {censored} never gets old ... I turn it up every time Sunshine of your love, Sweet Emotion or Black Dog comes on. I am clearly the demographic that is being phased out ... oh well, I have a room full of CD's if it comes to that (and no, don't want or need a fricken iPod or iPhone - I still have a 6 year old flip phone, play Gibson guitars that were first introduced 56 years ago, and I still endorse the full bush). Holy {censored}, I'm the crumudgeon of the maps forum ...

• Members

Agree. They've been beating the same songs into my head for the last 40 years. At this point, it's like watching Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure over and over. I've got new things to listen to.

• Members

Disagree - the good {censored} never gets old ... I turn it up every time Sunshine of your love, Sweet Emotion or Black Dog comes on. I am clearly the demographic that is being phased out ... oh well, I have a room full of CD's if it comes to that (and no, don't want or need a fricken iPod or iPhone - I still have a 6 year old flip phone, play Gibson guitars that were first introduced 56 years ago, and I still endorse the full bush). Holy {censored}, I'm the crumudgeon of the maps forum ...

Yea but you also like fat chicks with busted faces. Your opinions are very suspect.

Archived