Tele Experts needed...I'm going in!

Stevetemp

• Members
I'm thinking a Tele is an essential...looking to get a basic, classic model. Spend between 3 and 500. Used is fine- preferred even.

What kinds of things should I look for? MIM okay? (might be necessary, given my price range). Colors? (I like wine red/sunburst). Swamp ash- natural finish? Can I just buy one on-line and expect decent play?

Just looking for some tips and tricks for shopping. Not looking for a #1 (unless the magic grips
:love:
)

Finds a used G&L ASAT. They can be found in the $700 range. Much higher quality than Fender with the Leo magic still there

• Members

I'd get an Agile and drop some Lindy Fralin Blues Special pickups in it.

I love my Agile Tele... It would be cheap enough that you could drop some extra coin on a set of great pickups to go in it. Their TC-630 go for $299, which to me is a deal for what you get. I picked mine up for $399... but it had some nicer wood than the 630 model... It had a 2 piece ash body with a 3/8" spalted maple top. The have that model still available, but with a rosewood fretboard if that is what you are looking for...

Cole

• Members

Tele tip - Its all about the bridge. I'd go for a 3-saddled bridge over a 6, and avoid a bigsby if you want the classic tele sound. My tele has a Bigsby and its definitely a lot thicker than usual, not as much of that spank.

Yeah, but a worn-in black Tele with a Bigsby is just so cool...

• Members

Tele tip - Its all about the bridge. I'd go for a 3-saddled bridge over a 6, and avoid a bigsby if you want the classic tele sound. My tele has a Bigsby and its definitely a lot thicker than usual, not as much of that spank.

Its all about the bridge...so true. IMO, you can't get the classic Tele sound without the old school bridge with the big brass barrels. Its just not the same sound with the modern bridges. I would buy one that already has this bridge and save the time and trouble of an upgrade later.

• Members

Okay...thanks for all the replies! Very helpful.

After much research and on-hands playing...I found the guitar I want. For now. The 52 reissue was prolly my fav. Oh how sweet it is!

But this is the one:

DV019_Jpg_Regular_H76527.006.001_copper_

So I went to Sweetwater ...and they say it's discontinued. I've written my associate on the matter....but it's possible I'll start a "bash sweetwater" thread. :)

Naw...not really...but someone people wonder why in the HELL anyone would buy elsewhere...and if Sweetwater doesn't have it....a pretty good reason yes? I rarely buy new...and here I was gonna put in this order..and....they don't have it. Boo. huge downer.

Archived