MacBook Air has some competition

Mavesicles

• Members

Like I said; it's the self-satisfying arrogance I've come to expect from Mac users; they all get it eventually. Their mere presence in the room makes them laughable.

I disagree. I use both Apple and Windows and I'm an MCSE. Again, I use whatever works. I occasionally have to attend trade shows and it's much easier to carry around an ipad than a laptop and have to charge it every 2-4 hours. Albeit, I may be remoted into my windows machine in my office but iit gets the job done. I agree that the iPad isn't the end all/be all that it was promised to be but it's still a useful tool.

The Apple people I don't care for are the "geniuses" at the Apple store. I had a kid at one of their stores try to explain Cloud computing to me as if Apple invented networking. They about freaked when I told them I would set up my new Macbook Air by myself.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I guess this is my main beef with Apple:

scene.jpg

AbR4A.jpg

1atd.jpg

That and the whole planned near future obsoletion (I don't think that's a real word but, ya know what I mean) thing that guarantees these hipsters will continue to spend money... they have to stay hip, ya know?

• Members

Asus is a great brand. Apple is cliche, and thus I have never been able to jive with them. I'm a gamer, and macs just annoy me due to their limited compatibility when it comes to games. Maybe not so much now a days, but in the past it was always a bitch. PCs may be more prone to viruses and {censored} of that nature, but regardless I'll always be a PC man through and through.

• Members

I also just decided to due a rough comparison of what a similar imac would cost (mac pro's are not fair comparisons because their running server chips) to my desktop I just built a couple weeks ago. The best iMac you can buy goes for about $3.5K, still has slower ram, a slower processor due to no overclocking, and vastly weaker video card. I paid about $1650 for this machine, granted I did not buy a monitor, but that's about $200-300 more. Not to mention I had the flexibility to have a third salvaged HDD I'm using for a linux drive.

Now I will say most people other than people who game, and who do other computer intensive tasks such as record music do not need a beast of a machine like this. Their is no arguing that the lower price macs are more competitively priced. Still there is a large discrepancy in the cost of the hardware, which can only be accounted for marketing and the ability to run a special OS.

I'm really glad people want to pay the apple price, really all it tells me is that people value computer knowledge so heavily they are will to pay a premium just to not have to deal with it. At the end of the day a computer is there to do useful tasks for you, if you feel that a mac is more productive go ahead and buy one. I will say though, a little bit of computer knowledge can really save you a ton of money down the road.

• Members

I also just decided to due a rough comparison of what a similar imac would cost (mac pro's are not fair comparisons because their running server chips) to my desktop I just built a couple weeks ago. The best iMac you can buy goes for about $3.5K, still has slower ram, a slower processor due to no overclocking, and vastly weaker video card. I paid about $1650 for this machine, granted I did not buy a monitor, but that's about $200-300 more. Not to mention I had the flexibility to have a third salvaged HDD I'm using for a linux drive.

Now I will say most people other than people who game, and who do other computer intensive tasks such as record music do not need a beast of a machine like this. Their is no arguing that the lower price macs are more competitively priced. Still there is a large discrepancy in the cost of the hardware, which can only be accounted for marketing and the ability to run a special OS.

I'm really glad people want to pay the apple price, really all it tells me is that people value computer knowledge so heavily they are will to pay a premium just to not have to deal with it. At the end of the day a computer is there to do useful tasks for you, if you feel that a mac is more productive go ahead and buy one. I will say though, a little bit of computer knowledge can really save you a ton of money down the road.

I own a 27 inch i7 imac, and do love it. I didn't buy it new but will say this about your post.

A 27 inch monitor as nice as the imac's is still definitely a bit more than $200-300, and really who buys ram as a factory upgrade?

I'm not arguing you can't build a comparable machine, and I'm not saying any imac deserves a 3.5k price tag...(jeeeesus) but I am saying there are some other factors to consider

• Members

{censored} disc drives, seriously. They just take up space. I can't even recall when was the last time I stuck a cd in my laptop.

They're handy if you want to watch bluray's. That's the main + for me at least. Traveling with it and wanting to watch a movie on the big screen at places that usually don't have a bluray player there means I can go to red box or a video store, rent a blu ray, pop it into the drive and use an HDMI cable to connect the laptop to the TV and watch the movie.

Also, diagnostics software a lot of the times has to be run from disk and a lot of the times in office environments, most software is installed from disk unless an IT department has it all crammed onto a usb harddrive. That bluray drive on the laptop I ordered was a $45 upgrade. No brainer for me.

And as far as I know, the Dell I posted earlier is the only super thin ultra book on the market with an optical drive.

• 2 months later...

Archived