ye age old ohms question

Casey

• Members

I have an older amp, 100 watts tube. Acoustic Control Corp model 165. The speaker has started rattling really bad at loud volumes and I don't think I can fix the problem myself/don't have the time to fix it myself/don't have the money to fix it. I do have an external cab rated for 16 ohms and the combo has options of 4 or 8 ohms.

Pickle: I have a crucial audition coming up in a couple days, I can use the combo as a head by disconnecting the main speaker and using my ext. cab. What is the safest ohms option to use? any?

• Members
I have an older amp, 100 watts tube. Acoustic Control Corp model 165. The speaker has started rattling really bad at loud volumes and I don't think I can fix the problem myself/don't have the time to fix it myself/don't have the money to fix it. I do have an external cab rated for 16 ohms and the combo has options of 4 or 8 ohms.

Pickle: I have a crucial audition coming up in a couple days, I can use the combo as a head by disconnecting the main speaker and using my ext. cab. What is the safest ohms option to use? any?

is it SS?

• Members

the original combo is 1x12 EV Speaker. The cab is 4x10 wired for 16 ohms. there'll be no replacing of a da speaker haha.

EDIT: The combo is built like a damn tank. facking HUGE OT. There's not a lot of info on these amps as the company went belly-up sometime in the 80s but what is known about them is that they were and are today some of the most reliable work horse amps around.

• Members

the original combo is 1x12 EV Speaker. The cab is 4x10 wired for 16 ohms. there'll be no replacing of a da speaker haha.

EDIT: The combo is built like a damn tank. facking HUGE OT. There's not a lot of info on these amps as the company went belly-up sometime in the 80s but what is known about them is that they were and are today some of the most reliable work horse amps around.

I am assuming the speakers are 16ohms . If so re-wire your cab in parallel. That will give you 4 ohms:

4x12wiring1.gif

If your speakers are 4ohms you can re-wire it in series-parallel (again for 4ohms total):

4x12wiring2.gif

Archived