What's your favorite pedal platform amp?

ThunderHarp

• Members

liek, zomg, are you kidding?

Blackface Fenders as a whole are probably THE most pedal friendly amps ever made. The only pedal that does not work well with Blackfaces (as guitarslinger alluded to) are Fuzz pedals. They make everything else sound incredible.

Being that you get awesome cleans with a Blackface (far better than what you can get out of a JTM 45), I'd take that minor tradeoff in a heartbeat. Especially since I don't use Fuzz at all.

caution-sign.jpg

• Members

Marshall's. Superbasses, superleads, & 2203's (preferably of the JMP flavor, rather than JCM800's. I like 800's without pedals).

A ProCo Rat in front of a 79-80 JMP2203 can do some really cool stuff, if you know how to use your guitars volume knob.

A tube overdrive in front of a plexi...awesmeness. Then again, set that bitch at semi-breaking up, and throw about any OD or distortion in front of it...lots of possibillitys

• Members

Orange ad30 is a pedal champ.

Blackface fenders are great for dirt pedals, not so much on fuzz.

Old Marshall's are great for fuzz.

However of all the real amps I've owned so far, the Mesa Recto dialed in for mid gain takes pedals like no other. I was shocked! Fuzz, dirt, analog delays, vibes... had no issues at all and sounded great with everything. I can't say the same for my old Fenders that are actually far more picky than people lead on.

Except the Deluxe Reverb. You can turn those suckos up to counterbalance the scooped tone stack which makes them pedal friendly. At high volumes that is but then you have to ride guitar volume for anything resembling a clean tone.

• Members

Orange ad30 is a pedal champ.

Blackface fenders are great for dirt pedals, not so much on fuzz.

Old Marshall's are great for fuzz.

However of all the real amps I've owned so far, the Mesa Recto dialed in for mid gain takes pedals like no other. I was shocked! Fuzz, dirt, analog delays, vibes... had no issues at all and sounded great with everything. I can't say the same for my old Fenders that are actually far more picky than people lead on.

Except the Deluxe Reverb. You can turn those suckos up to counterbalance the scooped tone stack which makes them pedal friendly. At high volumes that is but then you have to ride guitar volume for anything resembling a clean tone.

I had forgotten about the AD30. I owned one for a year or so. I like it as a "pedal amp" . The only thing with it, was that i had to use an Aphex Big Bottom to add some "oomph" and depth to it. That amp was a pretty good "general purpose" amp. I usually used either a modded '83 big box ProCo Rat, or a Boss PW2 Power Driver up front. Occasionally a hot rodded SD1 or TS808. I wish I had got to try it with my Ibanez Tube King.

I had the TC version. I'd like to try the single channel one.

• Members

I had the single channel version and it with my Swollen Pickle sounded huge. I left the fuzz on all the time to keep the big bottom end/tone since plugging straight in was weak sauce.

Eventually tired of it. By itself it sounded like b hole.

yeah. I couldnt get into it on it's own.

After hearing my Broe's 72 GRO 50 & his 72-73-is OR 80, I didnt see any use in keeping the AD30. (I can use his gear whenever I need it).

I do regret selling my PPC 412 though. It with Mesa MC90s was a great cab. Tight & ballsy.

Archived