How do you tighten up guitar tracks when you record?

soilent

• Members

All of you guys are giving dood advice, but I think listening to this will give a clue to what I was advising:

you can have the best chops, and the tightest amp sound, but you will not get this super-tight start/stop of the guitars without manualy cutting/gating the guitar tracks

• Members

All of you guys are giving dood advice, but I think listening to this will give a clue to what I was advising:

you can have the best chops, and the tightest amp sound, but you will not get this super-tight start/stop of the guitars without manualy cutting/gating the guitar tracks

That really doesn't sound too hard to play. You should be able to do something pretty close to that even without a gate if you want to play it live.

• Members

That really doesn't sound too hard to play. You should be able to do something pretty close to that even without a gate if you want to play it live.

i'm not talking about playing guitar or whether it is playable or not, i'm talking about production techniques

I know hitting the snare with consistency isn't an impossible thing to do either, but it doesn't yield the same sonic result as sample replacing the snare... like in that track for that matter

anywho, this song has more editing done than a britney spears song, I hope i'm not the only one who hears it

• Members

Yeah, that's more what I'm talking about. Except I talking more about the waveforms in between the edits. I'm good at editing staccato parts, but it's syncing up those longer in between parts that's a bit more difficult.

Either way, I think I've found my answer. I'll just have to track with a DI next time and edit that way. Thanks dudes.

• Members

program a midi track with a clean guitar sound as the source

record your real guitars with a DI track

vocalign the midi guitars as the timing master for the real guitars

reamp the real guitars

congratulations, you sound like abandon all ships

this actually works, vocalign is amazing, the way field recorded dialogue from movies is replaced after taking ambience impulses etc. is fascinating, ADR as its called

• Members

soilent, how technical are we talking here? Is it just a matter of string noise and stuff like that?

Not extremely technical. I just wanted some ideas on how people make tighter productions. I'm actually thinking my recordings are not too bad. I did some editing on guitars today and it's sounding pretty good. I guess for some reason right after I track something I always feel like it's sloppy, but then when I go back and listen later on it sounds good.

Practice.

+1

any kind of EQ, cut & paste will not improve Your playing ;)

PS. that's why most modern metal bands suck bit time, they can't play their own {censored}.

• Members

All I use is a metronome and less gain than I would live.

clipping and quantizing your tracks is like auto-tune to me......not the real deal and a complete misrepresentation of ones abilities. If you cant play it tight you need to practice it more.

Unfortunately people pay you to make them sound as badass as possible, not put their flaws on blast under a microscope.

• Members

Relevent tips!

I'm litterally about to put together a small mac based recording rig (Like..I'm gonna install Logic 8 in a minute!). I've NEVER recorded with a computer before (as in...on my own, recorded in studios plenty of times). I have an Mbox2 as an interface, some KRK Rokit 5 G2s on some nice stands, a Plamer Dacappo for reamping, a 57, a Beta 58 and a midi controller keyboard. Starting totally from scratch here! Pretty daunting! I was gonna start with Garage Band, but I just thought I might as well spend the time learning a better program. At the moment I'm only bothered about getting ideas down and learning how to record myself with some programed drums etc. Wish me luck!

• Members

Relevent tips!

I'm litterally about to put together a small mac based recording rig (Like..I'm gonna install Logic 8 in a minute!). I've NEVER recorded with a computer before (as in...on my own, recorded in studios plenty of times). I have an Mbox2 as an interface, some KRK Rokit 5 G2s on some nice stands, a Plamer Dacappo for reamping, a 57, a Beta 58 and a midi controller keyboard. Starting totally from scratch here! Pretty daunting! I was gonna start with Garage Band, but I just thought I might as well spend the time learning a better program. At the moment I'm only bothered about getting ideas down and learning how to record myself with some programed drums etc. Wish me luck!

Good luck man. once you get by the computer glitches ( with a mac there wont be many...oh noes fanboi :) )you'll be tracking so much you'll run out of ideas!

• Members

I can't believe it took that long for this comment to come out. This is (in my experience) the #1 thing to tighten up a sound in the actual recording process assuming the playing itself is tight but that should be understood.

(That's why they're still trying to figure it out ;))

If you're a tight rhythm player, you should be able to do it without tons of distortion, and when stacking, lots of distortion is going to sound overly compressed and bloated.

Archived