Peavey Classic 60 MONO Power Amp, thoughts?

Hardvalve

• Members

I've got a 60/60 and love it. There are a couple of things to consider when buying one of the old Peavey tube power amps. I'm pretty sure all of them were set up to run the tubes really cold. It's good for tube life, but you can get a lot more punch out of them if you put in an adjustable bias and run the tubes a little hotter. The other thing is the filter caps. Peavey used really crappy ones and they are getting into the age range now on these style amps that it is probably a good idea to go ahead and have them replaced. I just had both the bias mod and new filter caps done to mine and it was night and day difference in tone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Does anyone know what other tubes besides the 6l6 power tubes are in the classic 60? I am going to put some new power tubes in mine and figured I would put all new tubes in it while I am at it (orig. Owner said the tubes are original).I think peavey put a 12at7 and a 12ax7 in it but not sure.......

• Members

I'm not sure about the tubes in the amp (I swapped mine out for some Groove Tubes power tubes but can't recall the preamp tubes or original power tubes). I have a Classic 100 mono poweramp. I think it's a pretty good amp. I like running an eq pedal between the Rockmaster pre and the poweramp and boost the level just a bit. But I think the poweramp sounds a bit dark with the Rockmaster setup and am going to try running some el34's in my VH100R and test it as a poweramp. I like a brighter cutting tone, though the setup as is sounds pretty good IMO. If I ever get the time and knowledge, I may try setting up the Classic 100 for el34's and maybe adjustable/switchable bias.

Archived