OMG my engl just blew

flyingrhoads

• Members

I just plugged up a guitar and switched it on and it started making popping sounds and one of the two power tubes middle tubes was glowing bright blue, and smoke started pouring out from underneath the tube and I immediately turned it off.. It smells like melted solder. I don't even know where to begin in diagnosing this :cry: anyone have any idea what to do?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Would a power tube failure cause it to do something like that though? That seems like an extreme reaction for just a power tube going out

While bad power tubes might 'turn off' the amp, and maybe (???) {censored} up your Trannys, I really doubt that it may cause de-soldering and smoking (everything's possible, tho)

• Members

oh awesome, they mount their PCBs upside down with the components facing the chassis :facepalm:

I can definitely see the damage around the 3rd power tube socket, I would resolder that socket but also check if the SGR for that socket needs to be replaced. You would need to completely remove the PCB to get to it though, so unless you are really comfortable with it, I'd take it to a tech.

• Members

oh awesome, they mount their PCBs upside down with the components facing the chassis
:facepalm:

I can definitely see the damage around the 3rd power tube socket, I would resolder that socket but also check if the SGR for that socket needs to be replaced. You would need to completely remove the PCB to get to it though, so unless you are really comfortable with it, I'd take it to a tech.

Yeah I'm definitely not ready to remove it yet seeing how I'm only just now dabbing into understanding circuits. Now I'm going to have to find myself a reliable tech, and where I live there aren't many

• Members

I wish it was man...

Uploading gut pictures right now

Sorry to hear this, i hope its not serious.

I had issues with engl amps before and it wasnt a fuse or tube problem, my invader150 blew up the first day i got it and i had a engl se el34 that brokedown after 1 yr, both amps i purchased brand new.

I also had issues with a powerball but i dont remember the exact issue right now.

The engl boards and traces are kinda thin and you need to be careful who works on them.

• Members

Sorry dude I wish I could have helped more, but with the way they mount their PCBs, it's hard to do anything. Not sure why they do that to begin with, not repair friendly at all.

Thanks man you helped as much as you could, this definitely sucks though. I'm trying to contact a few of my friends who have had amp work done, so hopefully they can help point me in someones direction.

What sucks the most is now I'm ampless so ill have to do all my jamming through my {censored}ty iRig.

• Members

Sorry to hear this, i hope its not serious.

I had issues with engl amps before and it wasnt a fuse or tube problem, my invader150 blew up the first day i got it and i had a engl se el34 that brokedown after 1 yr, both amps i purchased brand new.

I also had issues with a powerball but i dont remember the exact issue right now.

The engl boards and traces are kinda thin and you need to be careful who works on them.

Damn man that sucks, I've always heard people complaining about reliabiliy issues but I hadnt ever had any issues until now.. I'm the third owner and i've had this amp for almost 3 years. I've done nothing but preach about how much I love this head and now it shoots me in the foot.

Archived