OT: anyone into photography?

Big Hair

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

M4/3 and similar cameras have their benefits, but to me the complete deal breaker is they necessitate the use of an EVF (if they have a viewfinder at all), which are vastly inferior to an SLRs optical viewfinder. Yes you can buy an external optical VF, but this introduces parallax error just like a rangefinder's VF. The smaller sensors also have poorer dynamic range and noise performance. Finally, they're pretty expensive for what they are IMO.

I don't quite get all the fuss with people complaining of the weight of an SLR. Yes they're heavier, but an SLR with one prime (as people are talking about an M4/3 with one or at most two lenses) is not so different.

This may have been mentioned already, but there's a very long thread here on photography with discussions and lots of pictures (mine included):

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2703835-The-Guitar-Jam-Photography-Thread&referrerid=92643

• Members
vastly inferior
:lol:

and nobody complained about the weight. come on breaux.

OK, vastly may be overstating things a bit, but there is certainly no comparison. They are certainly not suited to critical use.

And yes, several people mentioned the weight and/or bulk of SLRs being an issue for them.

edit: I should add that I'm not trying to belittle those who choose to use these types of cameras; they are certainly capable of taking great pictures. I'm just trying to add a contrary point of view, and to point out that they do have their flaws.

• Members

That's a good plan.

You'll be to get to get to grips with the different modes on that (Aperture Priority/Shutter Priority) etc.

Also, it'll shoot in RAW so you can get hold of Adobe Lightroom or something to have a play with post processing too.

The basics for that are:

White balance

Exposure

Making sure the image is straight/level

Cropping

The Fuji (plus some software) will get you the basics.

Also, you will be amazed at how much difference you can make to an underexposed image or whatever with a RAW file - so much info in there!

• Members

That's a good plan.

You'll be to get to get to grips with the different modes on that (Aperture Priority/Shutter Priority) etc.

Also, it'll shoot in RAW so you can get hold of Adobe Lightroom or something to have a play with post processing too.

The basics for that are:

White balance

Exposure

Making sure the image is straight/level

Cropping

The Fuji (plus some software) will get you the basics.

Also, you will be amazed at how much difference you can make to an underexposed image or whatever with a RAW file - so much info in there!

I was going to get photoshop or something - which do you recommend?

• Members

Have a look at Lightroom once you get your camera, you'll be able to get a free 30 day trial from the Adobe website.

I prefer Lightroom to Photoshop (I have both) because it is better for processing batches of photographs and doing basic adjustments then making them into albums etc.

• Members

Does anybody have tips for concert photography? I'll be taking pictures of a friend's band soon with a DSLR. I know a little bit about photography, but not much. I've been practicing shooting stuff in low light and I'm still a little confused. I'm using an ISO of 800, and maybe I'm missing something, but the camera doesn't seem to let me open the aperture wider than f/4.5. With those settings, I'm finding myself having to use a shutterspeed of 1/15 and longer, so I'm still getting considerable blurring. I'd imagine that's going to be awful at a concert with musicians moving around. Any tips?

• Members

Does anybody have tips for concert photography? I'll be taking pictures of a friend's band soon with a DSLR. I know a little bit about photography, but not much. I've been practicing shooting stuff in low light and I'm still a little confused. I'm using an ISO of 800, and maybe I'm missing something, but the camera doesn't seem to let me open the aperture wider than f/4.5. With those settings, I'm finding myself having to use a shutterspeed of 1/15 and longer, so I'm still getting considerable blurring. I'd imagine that's going to be awful at a concert with musicians moving around. Any tips?

You zooming bro?

• Members

Even zoomed out, I'm still not able to get a wider aperture than f/4.5. I don't know if that's normal or not. Sorry, I'm a n00b.
:o

Double check that. That is not normal. Well what mode are you on? Put it on Aperture and crank that crank it wide open.

Hell, maybe the lens is only 4.5 max. That sucks.

• Members

Double check that. That is not normal. Well what mode are you on? Put it on Aperture and crank that crank it wide open.

I think I'm on aperture priority, but I've only used this camera for maybe 2 hours total so far, haha. I found the manual online though, I'll have to give it a good look.

• Members

What does the lens say the F numbers are?

I don't have it with me at the moment, I'll check and post it later though.

I'll probably be borrowing a nicer (and long) lens for the concerts though, so hopefully it shouldn't be a problem.

Archived