Sign in to follow this  
ledvedder

Chorus out front or in the loop?

phaser is the only mod pedal i put in front. chorus is def in the loop for me, but i never really used it that much. and im also not running any effects right now so take that opinion with a grain of salt.

In front. In the loop it seems to get to hi fI for my tastes. Especially with gain. But I hardly use it, anyway.

So the option of in its box, or my pedal bin, also fits my method.

In front of the amp is definitely a more subtle effect, but as I run dry 90% of the time and use chorus (as well as phase and flange, when I do) as more of a pronounced outer-space type sound effect, loop works best for me.

If I was the type of guy who played clean most of the time with a subtle chorus, I would shoot myself in the head run it in front of the amp.

ETA: endtime put it very well. It's more of a hi-fi feel in the loop. Only that's a good thing for my needs.

Which do you guys prefer? I like the differences you get from each spot. I'm running it with both clean and distorted tones.

These days, for me chorus can go either place. For a long time, I felt that my chorus pedals HAD to go in the loop, since I get my overdrive from my amps' preamp sections. But eventually, I learned how to tweak the pedal to sound good even in front of a high gain/distorting amp. It's a bit smoother in the loop, a bit richer (for want of a better term ... maybe "more syrupy"?) up front. At present, I've gone back to putting it in the loop, for the smoothness. Fwiw & ymmv, o' course. :)

I have a Corona Chorus always on, as it acts to thicken my sound, not as the traditional shimmery chorus '80s thing. I put it in the loop.

for more outrageous sounds though, you can put in in front...depends on what you're using it for

Can't live without it

i am learning this.

tried the mak4 with an eq before the 50/50 for the first time yesterday and was amazed. it sounded great before but holy freaking cow - it literally dropped my jaw. didnt even do much to the eq either, boosted 80-100 and cut some of the highs at the very end.