How to remove the front grill on a Marshall cab?

guitarbilly74

• Members

Knife the cloth.

Crowbar the logo

Kick the front of the cabinet.

Hack it with a fork

Use a fag lighter

Or none of the above and disregard all of my advice.

I don't have a clue how you would do it on that cab.

• Members

Dont listen to Nerine!!! I cant comment on the MF280 BUT the nameplates on 1960 cabs (JCM 800,900,classic etc)arent difficult to remove. The plate is glued onto a plastic bracket so pry of the metal plate. Try not to destroy the plate! Once the plate is off you'll see a couple screws that hold the bracket onto the front of cab. You can usually bend the plate back into shape or worste case scenario get a replacement part.

• Members

While i never have seen the inside of that cab the entire baffle should be fairly easy to take off, most are just screwed thru the back. Then you might be able to see what is holding on the grill.

Why in the world do they use bolts on that anyway, would it be phenominally easier to just have wood screws?

• Members

While i never have seen the inside of that cab the entire baffle should be fairly easy to take off, most are just screwed thru the back. Then you might be able to see what is holding on the grill.

Why in the world do they use bolts on that anyway, would it be phenominally easier to just have wood screws?

:idk:

So do I have to remove the front baffle just to access the grill?

• Members

Dont listen to Nerine!!! I cant comment on the MF280 BUT the nameplates on 1960 cabs (JCM 800,900,classic etc)arent difficult to remove. The plate is glued onto a plastic bracket so pry of the metal plate. Try not to destroy the plate! Once the plate is off you'll see a couple screws that hold the bracket onto the front of cab. You can usually bend the plate back into shape or worste case scenario get a replacement part.

i've changed logos on a regular cab many time but this one uses a metal logo with screws.

• Members

:idk:

So do I have to remove the front baffle just to access the grill?

Its just sort of stupid, everything on a cab loosens over time and screwing in a wood screw would be easier to manufacture and easier to tighten then demoing your cab to put on a stupid logo.

• Members

Ah, i see.

I vote just gluing the thing in place. You may have to clip each of the studs a bit to clear but if you cant see how to take off the grill, its gonna take a lot of work.

I just tried super glue and it's not working :mad:

I think I will buy some liquid nails glue tomorrow :lol:

• Members

3M super 77 .If it'll hold tolex itll glue anything!

The stuff an aerosol can? That might work, but dont spray the cab, just the logo itself, that stff gets everywhere and im not sure what it would sound like if your cones were spritzed with it.

• Members

Held it for 5 minutes and it fell right off like no glue was there
:mad:

This may sound funny, but baking soda will give the super glue amazing bonding power. If you can get to the back of the holes (or drill them through so you will have access), put the logo in place and sprinkle baking soda into the gap around the screw holes, then squirt thin super glue into the baking soda, it'll probably take a sledge hammer and a crowbar to remove the thing. I'm not kidding - this stuff is like welding things in place.

• Members

Speakers come out the back or front on that cab? If rear mounted, maybe the grille, baffle etc are bolted in too. Do you have pics of the cab opened up looking at the baffle?

That's one cab I've never had the pleasure of opening. Sounds like they made it damn dear indestructible.

• Members

Speakers come out the back or front on that cab? If rear mounted, maybe the grille, baffle etc are bolted in too. Do you have pics of the cab opened up looking at the baffle?

That's one cab I've never had the pleasure of opening. Sounds like they made it damn dear indestructible.

They're rear mounted. I should have taken pictures of the insides when I swapped speakers. I will try to glue it again tomorrow and if it doesn't work I will open the cab and take some pics.

Archived